What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Alaskan Amber is common out here. At the Detroit airport where we stopped for dinner that was the best beer they had on tap. ;hm Hoppy ales are pretty common on the left coast. Some get pretty extreme, but like hot sauce, the more you consume, the more you get used to it.

I've come to learn this. But it's not just the left coast. Troegs (in Hershey, PA) makes a hoppy porter. And Southern Tier (in NY) prides itself on making "hoppy ales". As do several other breweries. One can't rely on a style to know even a little bit what they're getting. Thank God for Google and a smartphone, I suppose, although it annoys waitstaff when it takes a bit to Google their draft list.

Guys, the Yuengling you remember from your youth is not what they sell today. That stuff from the past was “Yuengling Premium”, and it was indeed garbage. I think they still sell that in their refillable bottles, but what you’re buying today is more likely Yuengling Lager. It’s a corn beer, like Molsen Golden, or many other mid-grade North American lagers. It’s so ubiquitous locally, that if you were to walk into a non-microbrew bar and ask for “a beer”, it’s what you’d get.

It’s not bad, but I drank too much of it in my 20’s to crave it now. However, you will always find a few can of it rolling around the bilge of my sailboat on race day in the summer, the crew works for beer.

I need to go back to real beer.

Attachments

• firebox.jpg
    firebox.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 313
Reactions: Ashful
It's good for what ales you.

isn't it funny how taste changes. my first beer was a Heineken (you take what you can get at 13) then Schlitz. now i wouldn't go near any of that stuff soon enough when i get as old as my grandfather i'll be drinking Ballantine ale and put salt in it.

Reactions: begreen
hey BB that beer looks like it is in a woodstove?????? that must be the emergency stuff:)

hey BB that beer looks like it is in a woodstove?????? that must be the emergency stuff:)

If I recall, someone was asking about firebox capacity of an NC30, and “cases of beer” was the system of measurement that Bart had on hand.

Yuengling lager is the only thing I remember. Not sure that I've ever tried their premium beer offering. I'm not sure th
Guys, the Yuengling you remember from your youth is not what they sell today. That stuff from the past was “Yuengling Premium”, and it was indeed garbage. I think they still sell that in their refillable bottles, but what you’re buying today is more likely Yuengling Lager. It’s a corn beer, like Molsen Golden, or many other mid-grade North American lagers. It’s so ubiquitous locally, that if you were to walk into a non-microbrew bar and ask for “a beer”, it’s what you’d get.

It’s not bad, but I drank too much of it in my 20’s to crave it now. However, you will always find a few can of it rolling around the bilge of my sailboat on race day in the summer, the crew works for beer.

Yuengling Lager was reintroduced in 1987; which is the year I was born. So the Yuengling of my youth and today are the same stuff. ;)

And I'm pretty sure that their amber lager is what everyone means when they say Yuengling. I'm not even sure that most people people know they make other beers. I quite like their Porter and Oktoberfest offerings as well.

isn't it funny how taste changes. my first beer was a Heineken (you take what you can get at 13) then Schlitz. now i wouldn't go near any of that stuff soon enough when i get as old as my grandfather i'll be drinking Ballantine ale and put salt in it.
I think mine was Schaefer, Bud or Pabtz. That was all we could afford and find.

If I recall, someone was asking about firebox capacity of an NC30, and “cases of beer” was the system of measurement that Bart had on hand.
Yes, we had a polite duel off many years ago. I think I won in ABV, but BB won in liquid volume.

wine-in-stove-web.jpg

had one or 5 of these tonight on draft at a watering hole with friends. really tasty

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
franziskaner-weissbier-kristallklar.w3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I think mine was Schaefer, Bud or Pabtz. That was all we could afford and find.
I was weaned on that stuff.(Pabst ,Bud and Genesee) and I remember my first Yuengling was around 1977. It was so nasty back then ,took me 30 yrs to get up the courage to try it again

Finally got back down near philly to look for some brands not available at home. Got there 10 minutes before closing but got a few new brews. 20180617_200111.jpg

Finally got back down near philly to look for some brands not available at home. Got there 10 minutes before closing but got a few new brews. View attachment 227312

Now you’re getting into the good stuff. I’ll be interested in your opinion on Abt.12, as St Bernardus is one of my favorite breweries, but Abt.12 is not one of my favorite quads. It might just be an issue of overconsumption, as it’s on perpetually at one of my regular watering holes, and I’ve had that one more times than I can remember.

No Curieux? Allagash Tripel is good, the Curieux is that brew aged in bourbon barrels, with a few extra ABV’s.

Now you’re getting into the good stuff. I’ll be interested in your opinion on Abt.12, as St Bernardus is one of my favorite breweries, but Abt.12 is not one of my favorite quads. It might just be an issue of overconsumption, as it’s on perpetually at one of my regular watering holes, and I’ve had that one more times than I can remember.

No Curieux? Allagash Tripel is good, the Curieux is that brew aged in bourbon barrels, with a few extra ABV’s.

No Curirux. I was specifically looking for that but it was 10 Minutes till closing on a sunday. None in the 24 oz or the small bottles. I prefer the smaller bottles anyway. So far iv had the Westmalle. Interesting stuff. Complex.Very thick ,a lot of sediment ,seemed a higher ABV than the 7% that was on the bottle. Serving Temp was 52 Deg.

Today’s lunch came with Curieux.

6118124aedd5332cb8c448472111a8da.jpg

Westmalle is a fantastic brewery, their Tripel is many folks’ favorite. I’ve had their Dubbel, and although it’s been awhile, I do remember liking it. In fact, I think I have one in the fridge at home, now!

Enjoyed the barrel aged version of the Rise Up RIS over the weekend. Highly recommended, much better than the regular (non-aged) RIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I had an Allagash white on tap for Dinner yesterday . Was all they had that looked interesting at the Italian place we were at. Was only listed on the menu as Allagash. The waitress didnt know what style it was. She had to ask someone. Not my preferred style. Was just OK, but probably great for those who like that style.

I had an Allagash white on tap for Dinner yesterday . Was all they had that looked interesting at the Italian place we were at. Was only listed on the menu as Allagash. The waitress didnt know what style it was. She had to ask someone. Not my preferred style. Was just OK, but probably great for those who like that style.

Did you have something to eat too?

Did you have something to eat too?
Lasagna and a Specialty Pizza. Nice upscale Italian place in KOP. I meant the
Beer i got was all that looked interesting from the beer menu.

The White is their plain old “Belgian White”, or depending on your language, “Weiss” or “Wit”. It’s just a plain un-filtered wheat beer that I remember running around 6.5% (it has been years since I’ve had that brew). It’s always the first Allagash on the menu, being more marketable to American lite-beer drinkers, but it’s not anything worth noting.

When referring to Dubbels or Tripels, it’s ABV over the “white” that traditional breweries used to define these styles. They’re not truly double or triple ABV, but the dubbel is always stronger than the white, and the trippel stronger than the dubbel. Typical numbers are 6.5%, 8% and 9.5%, although some of the barrel-aged tripels are well into double-digits (eg. Curiuex = 11%).

Quads are a newer thing, and less standardized, I think. Most of them seem to run closer to 12%, although the Abt.12 is weak in this regard, at something closer to 10.5%.

The Westmalle had some strange aromas. One of which was somthing like burnt matches.Others that were fruity. In reading some reviews some have noticed a metallic after taste,i did not. Interesting to say the least. Id like to try their other offerings.

The Westmalle had some strange aromas. One of which was somthing like burnt matches.Others that were fruity. In reading some reviews some have noticed a metallic after taste,i did not. Interesting to say the least. Id like to try their other offerings.
I don’t read a lot of reviews, but I could imagine the metallic aftertaste being common to a lot of Dubbels. The burnt matches comment is interesting, I have to admit my own nose is pretty much shot from a combination of allergies and a youth spent working on hot rods and shooting paint on boats and cars. So, while my palette does tend toward the more expensive malty brews, my experience is surely different than one who can better smell what they’re drinking.