When’s your first fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have been burning small fires mornings and late afternoons for a week now. Weather is cooling off and the rain makes it damp as well.

1999 Spectrum Classic Black & Gold, sunburst door.jpg

I lit the stove off for the first time last night.....it was 31 when I left the house this morning and we had our first frost on the ground. I could have justified lighting up last week or so. It got down in the low forties.....but I thought it was a good time to make sure the heat pump was in order and working so i went with that.

Had a few overnight fires over these past 2 weeks, today I decided to put the wood rack back in the house and load it. Looking back I did the same this time last year. Looks like back to overnight fires consistently judging by the forecast

Maybe tomorrow night. Nighttime Temps will be dropping into the 30’s. Dave T.

It’s going to be 37 tonight, but close to 80 by mid week. Holding off still till November. After the two day cold spell this weekend, the ten day shows temps in the upper sixties to seventies with lows in the mid forties. As long as I can keep the wife and kids at bay, I’ll hold off.

That will also give me time to do some maintenance. I’m going to replace the door gasket for the first time and also replace the catalyst.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
It's real simple with a BK. House hits 65, fire. No worries about overheating or underheating with the thermostat. I can burn when it's 60° if I want to.

We never used to run that way with our smoke dragons- we'd get another blanket or a jacket if it wasn't time to fire up the stove yet. I guess you get soft as you get old!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustin and moresnow
First fire of the year was last night. Needed to have one as the stove is in my otherwise unheated hunting cabin and the plumbing was not yet winterized. We spent the night toasty warm and this am I drained the water lines, blew them out along with the drains and added antifreeze to the drains. The stove ran great, after I got it rolling. I had a couple false starts when I shut the door fully or cut the air too low prior to the fire being ready. Once the secondary's lit she ran a stove top temp 500-600 degrees. I loaded 3 splits of oak about midnight and had coals that would have relight more splits had I wanted to at 7 this am. We had ice on the deck this morning , so I'm glad we got up there and warmed the place up and shut down the water system. I'm still learning just how to best run this stove (my first) but my draft concerns are pretty well gone now that I have well seasoned wood. Looking forward to being warm this deer season !

Cold today and tonight. Going to warm up again starting tomorrow.

Nan went to her parents, so I am home alone. Don't feel like having a single fire. Made homemade mushroom and garlic pizza for dinner. 425 F oven threw some heat in the kitchen when done.

Frost advisory tonight. Have to go help set up outdoor church service first thing tomorrow morning. Hope they move the service indoors soon.

This year? Not sure. We are probably putting the house on the market in the next few weeks so we may decide to keep the stove all clean and pretty until someone signs a contract.

We lit our first fire in mid September. We've been burning daily for the last 2 weeks now. I'm almost at the point where we'll be burning steady, we've already burnt a face cord this fall in the stove. It's supposed to hit -20c (-4f) here tonight.

Woke up the giant from its slumber yesterday.

Reactions: MMH
Visit the daughter, SIL, and granddaughter and got to enjoy a first fire of the season. The 32 year old Osburn is still going strong.
20201026_075644.jpg

It's going to be in the 30's tomorrow morning, but I forgot to top cover, and the remnants of whatever tropical storm soaked everything. <>

Lit mine for the first time this evening. It’s going to Drop to 29 tonight. I’ve been putting it off but they filled my propane tank today. When they leave that invoice on the door it always gets me in the mood to start the stove. I’m hoping to get by with only one tank of propane this winter.

First one tonight.
Wife and kids complaining last night it was getting cold.

I just lit my first fire of the season yesterday. Woke up to October snow, so it felt right. My wood must be near perfect this year. Usually I start my season off lighting a smoker (basement stove). Instead I got a beautiful flame going off a cold start. Humans and cats a like were very pleased.

37 this morning and similar for the next few days. Lit her off this morning. Everyone was pleased. Up to 70 at some point next week, so I'll shut her down again before we start the 24-7 burning.

Not quite what I had in mind for a first fire. Returned from playing golf and found the wife wanted a bit of warmth and ambiance in the living room.
20201101_165620.jpg

First fire was Wednesday, October 28. Fourth fire tonight. Fires for a few more nights. Then temperatures are forecast to be in the 60s for a few days.