where has BTU been?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
LIpelletpig said:
Ok..sorry to see him go.

Hope I don't get bounce for posting this!

Anyway BTU can still read the forums. He contacted me and said it was Okie(couldn't resist) dokie to post this.

[email protected]

480-419-6792

Jay your the #1 VIP of this site......................
If it wasn't for you i'd still be burning something like Inferno's and thinking...these are great!!

Ok, that's the end.
Anyone can contact him if they like.

BTU had decided, despite a NUMBER of prior warnings, to use the forums as as way of advertising and marketing his product "for free". I say "for free", because it is not for free. It is off my back, the backs of others who are involved in the site, other PAYING SPONSORS, etc.

Some people are just looking for a handout...and cannot follow the rules. I know millions of dollars of business is done through informal contacts on these forums, and that is well and good - but we have very clear and specific written rules about commercial users - especially those who are manufacturers and appear to be here MAINLY to promote their products. Without wasting too much time, suffice it to say that rule is the GOLDEN RULE. We have well over 1,000 commercial members and if y'all wanted every thread on this forum to be full of them looking for dealers, distributors, more sales, etc.....well, you can only imagine what it would look like!

As it is, the moderators and I spend thousands of hours per year trying to keep the place relatively person to person.

I must say our system works. Over the year, people have told us it is one of the best forums they visit - BECAUSE of the lack of BS.

As to BTU, as with any scorned lover, he feels he has been done wrong...despite MANY warnings and clear rules. In fact, I think he is the first commercial member EVER banned....an indication of how many chances and how much slack we generally offer.

So, he can wear that as either "I am one of 23,000 special enough" or "I am one of 23,000 who took advantage enough". He can decide.

My basic advice - and I have been a retailer, manufacturer, importer, etc. - is to PAY FOR the promotion of your (his) product. I'm sure old Doug doesn't work for free nor give his pellets away for free. Why expect anyone else to give their products and services away?

Anyway, let's call this the end of the BTU stuff...thanks

[quote author="doone060" date="129697] This site appears to be controlled by one individual. This site also generates many hits which in itself has a significant commercial value.
[/quote]

The site is a commercial enterprise owned by me - that is all very clear if you take the time to read about my founding of the site, 32+ years experience in the business, etc.

The commercial value pays my salary - a bit less than I made in the actual stove business, but enough for semi-retired guy.

The forums, which are just one part of the vast site, are "controlled" by some rules - which I hope you and the others have read. Perhaps more important is the this is a PERSON TO PERSON forum for help. It is not for commercial members to pump or pimp their products, etc.

The success of the forums is a team effort which is due to dozens, maybe hundreds, of the fine folks who hang out here. Some are official moderators, others act as moderators when they feel like it. I think 90% plus of the people here want the forum to "feel" a certain way and help it along to do so.

Pleased to meet y'all, as usual.

If anyone needs some reminders, place see the forum rules...especially those for commercial members...
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Forum_Rules_for_Commercial_Members/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Forum_Rules/

OH, we are giving away FREE dealers listings for 2011, so anyone with a actual physical location who serves as a retail of hearth products or fuel can sign up. Who said you can't get anything for free?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/sponsor/retailer/

Actually, I am lying to you again! They are really not free. They don't cost you. Someone else, a sponsor, advertiser or client is paying......but I have decided to eat the 10K a year I used to make from such dealer listings....because I like dealers so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.