Which is more effective air purifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I just read about using a Merv 13 filter attached to a box fan to filter air.
My draft is a bit sluggish and do get some leakage when door open. I currently have an air purifier with Hepa filter in stove room.
Would a Merv filter/ box fan be more effective?

There's a current thread on indoor air quality in the green room forum that would be useful for you...

personally i would stick with the air purifier since that's what its designed to do for one, the noise level of a box fan would probably drive me nuts since i have never seen a quiet one... All my purifiers are auto units and one is controlled via wifi. In auto they rarely kick on to a higher speed unless im firing up the stove and they ramp up for 5 min or so to clear the air and then back down to low. Gives you a good sense of air quality.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I feel the same as @zrock I don't want noisy fans running all the time. I have an Alen BreatheSmart 75i True Hepa Air Purifier that I keep on auto. The machine ramps up when it detects the need, but even on high, it is surprising quiet...more like white noise than a fan. It is also the #1 Consumer Reports Air Purifier. Not cheap, but effective, and worth it when considering one's health. I am using the "Fresh" filter option which is recommended for smoke.

Reactions: clancey
I went the simple fan route with an attached HEPA filter on the back (or close to a HEPA filter -- I forget the exact rating). My wife said it seems to help out . . . and since I run a fan pretty much 24/7 through out the year (summer cooling and this time of year I am moving the heat from the woodstove) anyways it is not a big deal.

Reactions: sloeffle