White birch firewood - how is it in compare to beech wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

myth83

Sep 20, 2019
Germany
I have got a load of white birch rounds for a pretty good price, it should yield about 2,5 cubic meter after splitting (not sure how to translate it to cord ?)

I have burned beech wood before, where I live it is considered along with Oak to be one of the best firewood to have - beech is great, burns well and clean, good heat output.

where I live, birch is considered to be hardwood (cheaper than oak or beech but still hardwood)

How does white birch performs as a firewood? how it compares with beech as firewood?

I have cut the longer rounds to size for my fireplace and am splitting them one by one in my spare time, since I have read here in the forums that if left unprocessed for a long time it will rot.

Any input will be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Birch is not as dense (heavy) as beech is, but I’d burn it every day instead of my usual spruce or pine. In my personal opinion and experience, oak and black locust come first, beech and hornbeam close seconds, birch, maple and ash as good thirds.
For comparison 1 stere meter in kg equals:
333 kg for birch
380 kg for beech
440 kg for hornbeam
367 kg for ash
353 kg for maple
367 kg for oak
All weights are calculated at 0% humidity
I can’t find a precise reference for black locust.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: myth83
White Birch definitely has a lower BTU content than beech. It tends to burn hotter but does not last as long. I have boiler with storage so I dont mind the hot fire but someone with wood stove that wants a long duration fire may not like it as well as it will tend to put out more heat early and will need to be reloaded more often. Once the bark is cut its splits easier. I always need kindling for my boiler and usually use birch unless I have some white ash around as both split easy. As you noted you need to split the rounds in half at a minimum quickly, otherwise it can start rotting quickly. The other big problem is birch rots while standing. If someone waits until the tree looks unhealthy its has probably already started to rot and once the rot starts with the bark on it rots quick until split. Ideally the birch tree should be cut while healthy. If it cannot be cut and split quickly, run a chainsaw down through the inner and outer bark the length of the tree, if it is a large tree do it on both sides. This releases any moisture that could get under the bark. This frequently will release the bark from the trunk while drying. If the bark is loose I remove it and store it separately to use for restarting my boiler. Once split it dries quickly. I have cut and split white birch in the spring and burned it in the fall. Beech on the other hand takes two years. I also handsplit white birch and maple but ended up buying a splitter for beech.

Last edited:
I view white birch as a moderate BTU wood . . . but it's on the lower end of the spectrum compared to ash, red maple, etc. Yellow birch on the other hand is higher on the BTU spectrum. In either case, it's not as good as beech (well American beech or oak -- white or red -- which we burn here.)

It does however tend to split easily enough and it comes with its very own tinder wrapped around each split or round.

As mentioned, if left in the round it can sometimes rot from within . . . I often like to score a line on the bark with the saw if I have rounds for this reason.

One unsung advantage of birch is that it is the wood of choice of photographers when trying to get that perfect welcoming woodstove and hearth photo . . . for whatever reason. It seems that if you see wood near or in a woodstove or fireplace, 9 times out of 10 it's white birch. :)

If my math is correct, 2.5 cubic meters equates to roughly .69 cord (1 cubic meter is equal to 0.27589582978642 cord).

As others have said, white birch doesn't produce the same BTU's as more dense woods, such as oak or beech, however if I can get it before it goes bad, I never pass up the stuff. It burns clean, ignites easily and seasons quickly. If you can't split the rounds in a reasonable amount of time, I agree with what others mentioned above about slitting the bark to let the moisture escape.

White Birch definitely has a lower BTU content than beech. It tends to burn hotter but does not last as long. I have boiler with storage so I dont mind the hot fire but someone with wood stove that wants a long duration fire may not like it as well as it will tend to put out more heat early and will need to be reloaded more often. Once the bark is cut its splits easier. I always need kindling for my boiler and usually use birch unless I have some white ash around as both split easy. As you noted you need to split the rounds in half at a minimum quickly, otherwise it can start rotting quickly. The other big problem is birch rots while standing. If someone waits until the tree looks unhealthy its has probably already started to rot and once the rot starts with the bark on it rots quick until split. Ideally the birch tree should be cut while healthy. If it cannot be cut and split quickly, run a chainsaw down through the inner and outer bark the length of the tree, if it is a large tree do it on both sides. This releases any moisture that could get under the bark. This frequently will release the bark from the trunk while drying. If the bark is loose I remove it and store it separately to use for restarting my boiler. Once split it dries quickly. I have cut and split white birch in the spring and burned it in the fall. Beech on the other hand takes two years. I also handsplit white birch and maple but ended up buying a splitter for beech.
Very well said, bravo Sir!

I like White Birch, ignites easily, burns hot but a bit fast but there is just something about it that I like, maybe it is the looks of it like Firefighter Jake said but I like it.

I remember vacationing in New Hampshire years ago and the fella in a wood shop said people there when they order wood say "not to much White Birch" I guess because too much would be just that, too much, hard to keep a longer burn going and using only that would burn fast and cook you out of your house lol!

maybe it is the looks of it like Firefighter Jake said but I like it.
This isn't the best example but it's the only bark pic I have right now..River Birch. I don't know if White smells similar when it burns, but River smells really good..
river birch.jpg

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I think you'll be fine with white birch. In fact around here it's considered top quality wood, as it's the only good hardwood that grows around here.

IMO the best firewood is the stuff that is driest, and easiest to get. To me tree species is far less important.

Yellow Birch gives off a peppermint smell when cutting and splitting. White Birch does have pleasant smell when processing but its far less noticeable.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have got a load of white birch rounds for a pretty good price, it should yield about 2,5 cubic meter after splitting (not sure how to translate it to cord ?)

I have burned beech wood before, where I live it is considered along with Oak to be one of the best firewood to have - beech is great, burns well and clean, good heat output.

where I live, birch is considered to be hardwood (cheaper than oak or beech but still hardwood)

How does white birch performs as a firewood? how it compares with beech as firewood?

I have cut the longer rounds to size for my fireplace and am splitting them one by one in my spare time, since I have read here in the forums that if left unprocessed for a long time it will rot.

Any input will be appreciated :)

Thanks!

It rots very quickly if unprocessed, actually.

I have yellow, grey and white birch here and I'll take yellow over grey and grey over white given the choice. . White birch doesn't like sitting around in rounds either and you often can't tell it's rotten until you go to split it.

I have a little bit of beech here but it doesn't fare well dead standing. Always spalting and soft . If it cuts like balsa or cardboard I just leave the whole tree there.

Found another River Birch pic. It was in the yard but eventually died and made its way to the stove:
067.JPG

Yellow Birch gives off a peppermint smell when cutting and splitting.
I thought I read that about Black Birch as well. I see it in BTU charts in the Hickory/Locust range, and Yellow about like White Ash..

I find that yellow can vary widely on btu content. Its a survivor in my area, they can get beat up by ice storms and still come back. Finding a new stand of yellow birch is pretty rare so most of the yellow birch I get is older gnarlier wood with tight ring count.

I consider white birch good firewood, though there's none where I live. Beech needs more seasoning, harder to split, gives a lot of heat.

Beech is good stuff.