Why such a short burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One thing folks, if the stove is over-drafting or leaking air, packing it full and letting it rip may not be the best idea. The OP is a new user to the stove. Reported 650 temps are good. Some of these quads are reportedly pretty easy breathers. I would make sure there is a modicum of control over the stove first and that the OP gains a little experience so as to avoid over firing.

That's what I am concerned about. I have been getting temps of 550-650 with 5 pieces. Worried that packing it right might cause an over fire. It's hard to fit more than 5 pieces. I have tried.

What clearance are you referring to?
The 1" of clearance required between the out side of the masonry chimney and any combustible material mentioned earlier.

My had done the test and the bill comes out. We need to get a new gasket. Could this be the problem?
Did you try just adjusting the door latch? You may not need new gasket at all.

With five pieces of wood my stove temp is reaching 550-650
If I pack it lime you have it I'm afraid it might over fire. Any thoughts?
When I start from a cold stove I load it with more gaps for air flow like you've been doing. I can still hit 600 that way, just not for very long. I only load as pictured when loading onto coals.

My stove gets close to 700 on every reload. I wouldn't try it for the first time before you go to bed, try it in the morning when you can closely monitor it. If you pack it full you'll probably get a little bit higher temps but you will see dramatic improvements in burn time.

Did you try just adjusting the door latch? You may not need new gasket at all.

No I haven't. Will have to check the manual to see how to do it. The gasket looks really flat and old. Probably a good idea to replace it. They're not really expensive

And you say I probably don't have that clearance? How would I know?
Because i inspect several hundred chimneys a year and see 2 or 3 out of them that have required clearances

Op do you have a print out of the repairs that were done curious !

I thought that's how you stack it. I put some vertically on the bottom and some horizontally on top. Not correct?

When will you reload again?
I loaded mine like that once since I had a bunch of shorties, shot to 700 in no time. Never again.

So you don't recommend stuffing it full like in the pic?
Fix your gasket or adjust the door so it seals tight. If it isnt tight you burn times will be low and your control will suffer

Reactions: deborita3
No, I think he's saying he loaded it criss-cross like you have been. That's a recipe for uncontrollable fire, there's too much exposed surface area and the fire burns fast and hot. If there are no other air control issues with your stove loading it full will give you a more manageable fire that will last a lot longer.

My had done the test and the bill comes out. We need to get a new gasket. Could this be the problem?
It's ok that the bill comes out as long as there's resistance. It doesn't have to be locked in there solidly.

I would have a certified technician look at your fireplace and tell you if it’s safe so you can go to your insurance guy and hand him paperwork.

If you dont have that clearance it is not to code clay or not. The existence and or condition of a clay liner has no bearing on insulation at all.

In my neck of the woods if the chimney is to code otherwise and adding an additional liner inside to that, your actually going above code which of course is no problem. In other words the existing clay liner already has the needed clearance from combustibles per code is any liner added addional is above and beyond. Now if it doesen't have the clearances or the clay liner has been compromised then is as you say. It sounds like what your saying is the code required for installation of a new liner in would be the same as a new chimney all together no matter what the condition is of the existing chimney it's going in is to code or not? Just saying, I'm not an installer. Just trying to make sense of it. Kevin

In my neck of the woods if the chimney is to code otherwise and adding an additional liner inside to that, your actually going above code which of course is no problem. In other words the existing clay liner already has the needed clearance from combustibles per code is any liner added addional is above and beyond. Now if it doesen't have the clearances or the clay liner has been compromised then is as you say. It sounds like what your saying is the code required for installation of a new liner in would be the same as a new chimney all together no matter what the condition is of the existing chimney it's going in is to code or not? Just saying, I'm not an installer. Just trying to make sense of it. Kevin
Yes if the current chimney has those clearances then insulation is not required but still very desirable. The problem is that most chimneys even many in new construction dont have the required clearances.

The clay liners mean nothing in the equation. Once a stainless liner is installed that clay liner just becomes part of the masonry structure.

If turning the air down snuffs the fire, how can the gasket be bad?