Wood cart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

I agree that it does look like the wood will hit the wheels unless you are only carying a few pieces at a time, or it is short enough to fit between them (and doesn't move side to side during the haul)

I use one of these type carts:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...w=cart&parentPage=search&searchId=18812539632

I welded a couple pockets on the ends for some small removable stakes (to keep the logs from rolling off) One big load is good for about a week of burning during the winter. It is a bit pricey at this retailer...believe I got mine at a year end clearance for about $25.

Corey

Have seen this one at the stove shop, looks like it will work well. I have about 20 ft of a hill down to the road then over to the driveway into garage..Wonder what this type would do on the frozen snow....at least the wheel barrow I can kinda skate it down...This one i wonder if a$$ over tea kettle?

interested to see what people have to say

http://www.cartsvermont.com/pages/640/Wood_Chuck_Hauler.htm

I took an old jog/stroller....The same one I used to run with when my youngest was a spud. I added some 2x4's and we've been using it for 2 or 3 years now. Duct tape and 2x4's.

Attachments

• woodcart.jpg
    woodcart.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 496
i use one of those vermont carts. i've had it for three years. the big tires make it easy to navigate the cart around anything. the tires are like 20 inch solid bike tires. i've loaded the thing up higher than the handle and it takes the load no problem. it will hold 2 loads for my stove that has a huge fire box. my fire box will hold 24 inch log 65 lbs of wood. the cart will hold i think 18 or 20 inch logs between the tires after that area is loaded i put on the big stuff. even loaded heavy i pull it up three steps fairly easy. easy is easier than lugging up three loads in a tub to equal the same. i doubt you'll over load it because when i load it i use to pull it over a 3 inch bump and the cart would come down hard no damage. well worth the money. when you see it you'll say (i could have built one my self) it's made out of emt conduit.
anyway well worth it.

i forgot to say that it fits thru the kitchen door with about 1 inch on each side so i can bring in the whole load.

I like that! Creative use for an old stroller. Precious cargo all the way.

OT - I'm going to buy some land from Erik Estrada---NOT!

I use one like this although mine doesn't have pneumatic wheels. I got it free, it was left at an auction, someone had cut the handle off, folded the stand, and put a signpost on the bottom as a tongue to make a trailer for a garden tractor. I patched it up, made a handle from 1" steel pipe and 2 elbows, and it's been going strong for 4 years. It is kind of heavy, and not easy to dump, but it works great for firewood. My best friend uses a utility sled from Cabela's in the winter if there's snow cover on the ground. I've seen a lot of people use hand trucks, but most use wheelbarrows around here.

Why isn't a wheel barrel an option?

Or how about something like this: cart

Being a small person prone to back problems I can't manage alot at a time, so we decided to try one of those plastic sledding saucers that kids use---add bungees to secure the load---and I can drag that from the woodpile to the basement stairs, then just hold the rope from behind while it bumps it's way down. If it doesn't hold up we haven't spent alot.

DavidV said:
I took an old jog/stroller....The same one I used to run with when my youngest was a spud. I added some 2x4's and we've been using it for 2 or 3 years now. Duct tape and 2x4's.

Are you from West Virginia?

Sandor said:
DavidV said:

Are you from West Virginia?

<snark>

bugette said:
Being a small person prone to back problems I can't manage alot at a time, so we decided to try one of those plastic sledding saucers that kids use---add bungees to secure the load---and I can drag that from the woodpile to the basement stairs, then just hold the rope from behind while it bumps it's way down. If it doesn't hold up we haven't spent alot.

Now that what I call creative!!! Any chance you have a downhill run to the woodpile where you could take a slide back on the saucer?

Just the opposite, Harley---bit of a downhill from it to the house----if it gets real slippery I'll have to hop on and give it a try. At the very least it'll pack down a ready trail through the snow without having to shovel a path.

Status
Not open for further replies.