Wood Cook-stove Arrives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good news, the range boiler fits standing vertically!

Attachments

• 20190912_130946.jpg
    20190912_130946.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 375
Reactions: heavy hammer
I have just discovered an oversight to my plan: how to measure flue temp without having any connector pipe?

Auber remote probe?

Auber remote probe?
I wasn't sure if piercing the class a was acceptable or not. Should I place the probe before or after the tee? Any advice for installing it?

Not the best idea. Will there be a short stub of a horiz. connector to the class A thimble?

Or maybe drill a hole in the upper left backside of the stove for a probe to stick into the flue outlet chamber? It will read a bit high there, but will provide a relative reading.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Not the best idea. Will there be a short stub of a horiz. connector to the class A thimble?

I'm still waiting for the chimney to ship, but after reviewing the parts list there will only be an adapter between the flue connector on the stove and the class a stub in the thimble pass through. Perhaps the adapter is where I can place the probe?

The Esse Ironheart does come with a pretty slick screen that blocks the heat from the window. Does anyone know how I could replicate that? The window is a death ray.

I really like the looks of your stove and glad to see
it is working out well for you.
As for the death rays problem, I'll resist offering a sci-fi solution and recommend a welders leather apron,
some are nice looking.

I really like the looks of your stove and glad to see
it is working out well for you.
As for the death rays problem, I'll resist offering a sci-fi solution and recommend a welders leather apron,
some are nice looking.
That's a pretty good idea. I put a damp towel on the stainless rail and it was steaming in seconds. The oven side doesn't get very hot on the exterior, so no issue there.

Had a smokey start this morning, but it's because I didn't put one of the lids back on while I was trying to light it... It wants to smoke out of the lids no matter what on a cold start, so I've been using a mapp torch to heat the flue. This morning I forgot to replace the lid that covers the top flue outlet position (a great spot to keep my French press warm!) and I'm sure you can guess the rest. I need to get a tiny butane torch or something, the full size torch setup is awkward.

Sometime this week a glass top will be shipping out! We will keep the painted steel top for canning or other heavy stuff. The ceramic glass cook top allegedly heats up twice as fast, so I shouldn't miss the removable lid. As I said earlier, the gaps in the steel top like to smoke on start-up, so I really don't think I'll miss it at all. The steel top heats up faster than the GE glass top that came with the house.

Once the stove is cruising with the bypass closed and dampers closed up the stove top hovers just under 600df in the hottest spot with a 200df surface temp on the flue adapter. The under fire air allows it to easily turn up the heat quickly after which I just close it back and use the air wash to control temp. I've only used the oven for roasting peanuts at 350df, but that was measured with the door thermo. It took about 20 minutes for 3 cups of large Spanish peanuts, which is abou the same as my GE set to 350, so maybe the door thermo is accurate.

This fire is oven on all dampers closed with 525df cook top peak. This stove is easy to control surprisingly. There is about 22' of stack from the flue outlet and I was initially worried about low draft so I ordered an extra 4' section of class A just in case. It is very unnecessary and I think the only reason draft is more of an issue at start is the water coil and the holes in the cook top. I think the glass top will make starting the stove much easier.

Attachments

• 20191112_100103.jpg
    20191112_100103.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 347
Make sure to take a picture with the top when it
comes in, I think a ceram top will look cool on that stove.
sounds like you got the hang of running it and I think you are right
about the holes allowing more room air in the stove would
cause some problems with drafting

I fried up some duck eggs this morning on an old "non stick" pan that had become a sticky pan. Why would anyone have chosen to not use a wood cooker?

Just put some cookies in the oven. I'm hoping to get a second rack when they ship the glass top.

Attachments

• 20191114_200103.jpg
    20191114_200103.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 352
I also picked up a tiny butane torch, apparently people use them for cooking. The local hardware store also sells a product like super cedars that I'm sure will also make my life easier when establishing draft.

I'm hoping it will be here by next weekend. The cookies were amazing.

It's great you are experiencing cookstove cooking. Once I got the hang of it I loved it. Time to start baking bread!

Can you regulate oven temp specifically, or do you need to use the stove's air controls to adjust the firebox temp?
Oven temp is regulated by a bypass and the firebox. There is an adjustable air wash and under fire air along with a fixed secondary manifold. With the intakes closed and the oven engaged (bypass closed) the cook top sits around 500 and the oven at 300df as indicated by the inside oven thermometer. The door thermo is only marked at 100,200,250, and 300 dC, but is pretty accurate. If I want more heat on the cook top or oven I open up the air wash and away it goes. The under fire air is awesome for establishing a fire, and that's about all I use it for. This stove will definitely burn unseasoned wood if necessary, but thankfully it's a non issue for me.

I've had some rather smokey starts, but I have only started it a handful of times. Unless I'm mistaken it was the same with the Morso until I worked out a rhythm.

Reactions: jetsam
It's great you are experiencing cookstove cooking. Once I got the hang of it I loved it. Time to start baking bread!

I've been looking forward to this for a while. My wife just made some breakfast on the cook top and enjoyed it. Once I get better at starting it without smoking up the house we will all be happier. This morning I forgot to open the bypass, I was so close to a smokeless start...

I've been looking forward to this for a while. My wife just made some breakfast on the cook top and enjoyed it. Once I get better at starting it without smoking up the house we will all be happier. This morning I forgot to open the bypass, I was so close to a smokeless start...
LOL, smoked sausage and eggs this morning? I did that too in the beginning. After a while it just becomes habit. Maybe open up the bypass at night before going to bed?