Wood racks - framing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Been looking at that space as I do some work on the back of the house this afternoon, and thinking how much nicer a pavilion would look down there. Anyone care to estimate the cost of a 24 x 36 pavilion? Assume it has to look nice, no aluminum gables garbage.
Any Township issues anticipated?

Any Township issues anticipated?
Yes. That's what killed the plan the first time. But if the price is something I can justify, I'll pursue that farther.

Been looking at that space as I do some work on the back of the house this afternoon, and thinking how much nicer a pavilion would look down there. Anyone care to estimate the cost of a 24 x 36 pavilion? Assume it has to look nice, no aluminum gables garbage.

What building construction? Wood? Steel? Particular style?

I’ve seen kits range from $7-10k for a carport style in that size. But also a pavilion in what I think your thinking about with wood and a steel roof starting at $17k. Steel is pushing $30k.

I’m sure there is better pricing but most online places don’t list the price.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

What building construction? Wood? Steel? Particular style?

I’ve seen kits range from $7-10k for a carport style in that size. But also a pavilion in what I think your thinking about with wood and a steel roof starting at $17k. Steel is pushing $30k.

I’m sure there is better pricing but most online places don’t list the price.
Thanks. My gut is telling me $15k for six poles, 24' free-span trusses, and an asphalt roof. Just wanted a reality check.

very nice. what program did you use for the design?
Plain-old AutoCAD 3D, old-skool, literally just one stage up from paper and pencil. It's garbage, started in the early-1990's and abandoned after R13 for Mechanical Desktop and later Inventor, so if you don't already know it, I wouldn't bother learning it. Unfortunately, I did a ton of design work in it, back then, so it's still my go-to when I need to rip out something quick.

Thanks. i remember CAD and probably still have it loaded on an old computer. ill check. thanks! now all i have to do is find my 45-second anti skip portable CD player and ill be all set.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks. i remember CAD and probably still have it loaded on an old computer. ill check. thanks! now all i have to do is find my 45-second anti skip portable CD player and ill be all set.
It's in the box with your GameBoy.

Yes. That's what killed the plan the first time. But if the price is something I can justify, I'll pursue that farther.
I've been planning a pavillion structure for years, but can't decide where to put it. Wherever I put it, I'm gonna have to do some major tree cutting. It's gonna be 8' wide, and probably 24' long, maybe 16'. Simplicity and economics will drive the plan.

I saw a few videos online where a team of three put up big ones like you're thinking about, using steel trusses and steel roof, in one day. They look good and are practical.

My primary issues are that, due to landscape constraints, it will be very close to two property lines (side and back). That means getting variances approved from two separate neighbors, who are both agreeable to this, but this is giving the township heartburn. On top of that, it’s immediately adjacent to property marked as wetlands, that were either incorrectly identified, or likely cleared and drained by a prior owner. I.e., there’s a culvert there, and it’s now graded dry lawn. That’s a whole can of worms that I’m not sure I even want to open, if the township comes out to evaluate the site.

My primary issues are that, due to landscape constraints, it will be very close to two property lines (side and back). That means getting variances approved from two separate neighbors, who are both agreeable to this, but this is giving the township heartburn. On top of that, it’s immediately adjacent to property marked as wetlands, that were either incorrectly identified, or likely cleared and drained by a prior owner. I.e., there’s a culvert there, and it’s now graded dry lawn. That’s a whole can of worms that I’m not sure I even want to open, if the township comes out to evaluate the site.
Put in the application, go through the formalities, and the outcome will be decided for you. Downside is, many (maybe all), municipalities charge just for filing of the application, approved or not. I believe it's $500 in my township.

That would be the nail in the coffin for me.

Plus, I think you'd already decided on going with racks. All this waffling is just delaying your completion of the project. You'll save a bunch of dough as well.

Put in the application, go through the formalities, and the outcome will be decided for you. Downside is, many (maybe all), municipalities charge just for filing of the application, approved or not. I believe it's $500 in my township.

That would be the nail in the coffin for me.

Plus, I think you'd already decided on going with racks. All this waffling is just delaying your completion of the project. You'll save a bunch of dough as well.

Haven’t lost any time, yet. I was on other projects, while thinking ahead to this. I could start building racks as soon as tonight, or I could delay while I start a boat trailer restoration or skylight rebuilds. There is no shortage of projects, but I’ll be cursing myself in 2021, if I don’t get some more split and stacked, soon.

I sent out some RFQ’s for a pavilion last night. If the price is something I’m willing to pay, I’ll spend the $750 our township requires for variance applications.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Godspeed.

I think what I'd end up with, is the pavilion, assuming all goes well, and end up filling it with all kinds of stuff, not wood, due to a slight hoarding tendency, then have to build the racks anyway.

Godspeed.

I think what I'd end up with, is the pavilion, assuming all goes well, and end up filling it with all kinds of stuff, not wood, due to a slight hoarding tendency, then have to build the racks anyway.
I haven't mentioned my six oversized garages, already filled with vehicles or equipment, to where my tandem axle trailer is still sitting outside in the woods.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I haven't mentioned my six oversized garages, already filled with vehicles or equipment, to where my tandem axle trailer is still sitting outside in the woods.
Yep, I forsee both the pavilion and the racks in your future.

i imagine you living at the biltmore...

Reactions: brenndatomu
i imagine you living at the biltmore...

Exactly like that, minus 125,000 sq.ft. and 6945 acres, but I definitely have more wood CSS’d than them. [emoji12]

Hey, the pavilion cost might be about half of what I thought. Stay tuned...

Exactly like that, minus 125,000 sq.ft. and 6945 acres, but I definitely have more wood CSS’d than them. [emoji12]

Hey, the pavilion cost might be about half of what I thought. Stay tuned...
i mean, they did start the sustainable forest initiative, just to fill their fireplaces on an average year :)

So, after $3k in chimney liners, $6k on new stoves, $4k on a new trailer, $10k on a used tractor, $2k on a 2-ton dump wagon, $1500 in used chainsaws... how do I sell the idea of spending $9k on a new firewood pavilion to my wife, on the perpetual promise that burning wood will save us money, someday?

Thankfully, she's just enjoying the wood heat, at this point. Maybe I can give up on the notion that this is saving us money.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
So, after $3k in chimney liners, $6k on new stoves, $4k on a new trailer, $10k on a used tractor, $2k on a 2-ton dump wagon, $1500 in used chainsaws... how do I sell the idea of spending $9k on a new firewood pavilion to my wife, on the perpetual promise that burning wood will save us money, someday?

Thankfully, she's just enjoying the wood heat, at this point. Maybe I can give up on the notion that this is saving us money.
you could always tell her that you could be spending more on wood if you lived in the biltmore!

you could always tell her that you could be spending more on wood if you lived in the biltmore!

This house ain’t that big by today’s standards, man. It has high heat load, because it’s 300 year old un-insulated construction, but it ain’t no compound.

This house ain’t that big by today’s standards, man. It has high heat load, because it’s 300 year old un-insulated construction, but it ain’t no compound.
Im just having a little fun, and trying to figure out a creative way to get funding for your pavilion!

I know y'all do a whole lot of burning. Saw the idea in "Family Handyman " magazine "wordless workshop" But Hubby years ago we built those racks similar to yours. but they don't have a floor. Just used landscape tiber to set the logs on, well split logs usually. The small sheds they have the single shed roof, lattice on sides and backs.. nits are like just 6 or 8 feet or so long. So its only one log deep.
we recently moved another one them from other home we are hoping to sell. They have been at three diff homes now..
one set of 3 was put tougher in a u shaped. we got that old fiberglass roofing from the old house neighbor tearing out that old awnings and old patio cover. It that real tuff old green "corrugated fiberglass".Roofing's prob over 40 yr old. That stuff very heavy fiberglass roofing.
we bought some newer corrugated. fiberglass special ordered from big city..
But its not as heavy gauge, Hubby reinforced the latest rack ,moved one and wrapped those 2by 4 legs in scrape alum coil stock or at least put it under the "legs". He also raised the unit off the ground with 8 inch "bricks" or 8 inch concrete blocks. Since they are in edge of woods.we have a total of 6 of them...oh use new brown or silver tarps on front. Id prefer latticee hung on big screw eyes. also I made some nice green heavy "sunbrella" fabric tarps(with brass grommets) to go under the plastic outer tarp.Hubby( boohoo) lost one somewhere in the move years ago prob on the interstate while hauling it from former home.
Just chiming in.yall ...take care. Winter seems about here I don't envy y'all Northern locations...

Just chiming in.yall ...take care. Winter seems about here I don't envy y'all Northern locations...

We read that as, “you’se guys,” around here. [emoji14]

I'm finally building my version of a wood shed, namely several long rows of covered racks, for up to 30 cords of CSSd wood. Overall concept is as follows:

View attachment 232241 View attachment 232239
View attachment 232240 View attachment 232242

A couple key design points:

1. 4x4 posts are placed at mid-length on the splits being stacked, to work nicely as crib ends.
2. Generous overhangs, 4' wide roof for 3' wide stacks (2 rows x 18" split length).
3. Base is 2x4 stringers supported every 2 feet. This was chosen as a compromise between overall height and strength.
4. The 2x4's that run front to back under main stringers provide support and air flow under main stringers, and are seen as disposable. They will rot, and the intention is to replace them every 3 or 6 years, assuming each rack holds a load for 3 years.
5. Open design for max air flow. Roofing TBD, but likely asphalt shingles.
6. Latice on ends to prevent wracking.
7. Entire base is replaceable, if it rots. Uprights will be tied to base using TimberLoks or carriage bolts, so entire upright structure can be swapped onto another base, down the road.

Primary concerns:

1. The only thing keeping the structure from blowing apart at the book ends is whatever fasteners penetrate up thru the 2x4 flat on the ground at each end. If these 2x4's on the flat rot, as I expect they will, strength is compromised.
2. Might increase 2x4's on flat to 2x6's, at either end, just to allow room for more fastening.
3. There is provisions (lattice) for wracking front to back, but none for side to side. Might need to add lattice or cross bracing down the center, between the front row and back row of splits.

Any thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?
$9k is a bargain. Does that include the township fees? If not, to my recollection, you are still under $10k.

Definitely do it for that price. You only live once, and you know it won't just be for firewood.

Will probably increase the value of the property by at least $20k.

And, it's probably only about 1/6 of one year of your kids' college expense, which you will never get back.

Oh, I'm pursuing it, unless the township completely shuts it down. Just a question of when. Got a few very big home renovations planned in the next 12 months, actually some of them starting in the next month, so I just have to decide on the timing.