Wood Shed Q's: Flooring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember all, he's looking at about 18 - 25k lbs if stacking 6 feet high. Basically parking 4 or 5 full size pickups in the shed.

OP,

If you do go with a suspended floor, make sure you set some good, deep footers for your posts. Otherwise your whole shed will settle several inches, if not more, probably not evenly which will put additional stress on the entire structure.

gzecc said:
Use 4x4 on 24" centers and 3/4 plywood.

A 4 x 4 isn't going to hold any more than a 2" x 8"

I would put down crushed gravel and build the floor on the gravel. No need for anything more than 2x6. It is supported everywhere. I also kept my flooring tight.

At this point, I'm leaning towards setting a gravel base and doing just that--2x6 PT with a tight plywood floor--I shouldn't have to worry about weight then. Also, since the whole bottom would be supported, I can end nail the joists right? I'm just thinking of what I already have for materials.

S

thinkxingu said:
At this point, I'm leaning towards setting a gravel base and doing just that--2x6 PT with a tight plywood floor--I shouldn't have to worry about weight then. Also, since the whole bottom would be supported, I can end nail the joists right? I'm just thinking of what I already have for materials.

S

I think that is wise.

If you support the base with gravel, don't fasten the floor to the woodshed, just let it float. Also, 2x6's would be more than sufficient since there won't be any span. Just make sure the posts of the shed are anchored (burried or cabled down) so wind doesn't move your shed to the neighbor's yard.

thinkxingu said:

S

:cheese: Makes a lot more "Cents" if you will! Just to much weight to manage over a long peroid of time, but I like the way you go after a prodject! Sure it will be standing over 50 years! If you every stop using it as a wood shed then put in a floor.

This is what I'm somewhat trying to match--I think what I'll do is use T&G for the front, so that I can stain it to look the same and keep snow out, and either 1x pine with spacing or lattice on the ends (can't see one side, other side only when approaching yard from front, and leave the back wide open--the back faces trees and no snow blows that way.

S

Attachments

• DSC_02681.jpg
    DSC_02681.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 186
Smokin, either way I'm putting in a floor--I need to keep the wood off the ground or it will become a termite lunch. We've had them under our wood before, but I think by using gravel and PT joists I should be good. I'm also thinking I'll ask my termite service provider how much more it would be to add a couple Sentricons near the shed.

S

Just got an email from my termite service provider- they'll install Sentricon stations around the shed for free and they'll fall under our current contract. Perfect.

S

thinkxingu said:
Smokin, either way I'm putting in a floor--I need to keep the wood off the ground or it will become a termite lunch. We've had them under our wood before, but I think by using gravel and PT joists I should be good. I'm also thinking I'll ask my termite service provider how much more it would be to add a couple Sentricons near the shed.

S

My dad does this done with his shed.....Build a Strong Floor a few well place 4x4 could be a cheap insurance. I build a set of cloths line T's 4x6 it would not fit into the whole.....Winds where 60mph tuesday the lines where full....No problems other than the lines strech some.lol Lot of weight there.

Status
Not open for further replies.