"Wood Shed" terms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
some Hearth "wood shed" terms i've learned.
Do we need to have a section (or 'sticky") for hearth "wood sheds terms?
Additions & corrections appreciated, within what a reasonable person would call tasteful

Round. un-split fire wood cut to stove length. (I cut 2 logs into rounds today)

Splits: split up pieces of the round (my splits are seasoning well) (typically 4" thick)

Cord: (1) 128 cubic feet of stacked wood & air (2) basic unit of measure for fire wood (typically fire wood is sold by cord)

Face cord:(1)) 1/3 of a cord of the splits. (2) 1 row of a 3 row stack that is 4 X 4 X 8 & each row is 16" (yuppy term)
............( is a pickup load a face cord)

Truck load: a variable quantity of fire wood, typically sold for as much as the seller can get. No standard quantity or volume of firewood.
................ (a term when heard/read a "buyer beware" alarm should go off) (another term yuppies use)

Shoulder wood: Wood that is not the best quality & burned during the on-set & end of burning season (shoulder season).
.....................(When it's 50 ° F, I burn my shoulder wood during the day to take the chill off.

Seasoned: (1)Wood that has been stored for a year or more to let the moisture level in the wood get to 15% or less.
..................(2)Wood ready to burn in EPA approved stoves (3) Dry firewood. (4) wood sellers use this term to define any wood they have fore sale.
......................(Oak typically takes 2 years to fully season.)

Best wood?: (1)The term "best wood?" is typically "gotten wood". ie: wood that is seasoned properly, split & stacked & ready to burn.
.....................(2) wood with the highest BTU value in your area

BTU: British Thermal Unit: for fire wood: the amount of energy, that when burned is released as heat

crotch: (1) term used by "master wood cutters" to show off their skills. "How to split a crotch".
....................(2)A "Y" in the top of a tree that has a good firewood value in it (4" dia or +) that's hard to stack & split, & should be used

You missed a few:

“The BandWagon” - BlazeKings, Oslo’s, Fiskars, PE summit , Ported 460’s, The Nitro 5100s, King Kong 7900’s, Ace of Spades MS361, 12 lb Monster Maul.

“Myths and Legends”
Ash is ready to burn after felling, wood seasons faster by laying 6 cords out on your driveway. Douglas fir was used by God. I don’t use felling wedges or a “hold wood”
Don’t worry, it won’t hit your shed. My wood dealer said his red oak has been down for 6 months. Don’t back into my Unicorn splitter. Pink Insulation is good to pack into a Block off plate. John Henry didn’t use hammers, he used Fiskars.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.