Woodstock announced their biggest end of season sale yet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
Hi All,

In my pursuit of a new stove, which may be a Woodstock (still deciding), I've been waiting for them to announce their end of season sale, and they just did. Thought others here may be interested. They are celebrating 40 years in business and looks like they are putting out some pretty great offers and multiple discounts. http://www.woodstove.com/

Last edited:
Hi All,

In my pursuit of a new stove, which may be a Woodstock (still deciding), I've been waiting for them to announce their end of season sale, and they just did. Thought others here may be interested. They are celebrating 40 years in business and looks like they are putting out some pretty great offers and multiple discounts. http://www.woodstove.com/

Those are some great deals with the free shipping plus accessories thrown in! I've been burning my new Progress for over a week now, and am loving how well it works.

Reactions: KennyK
Looks like a typical end of season sale. It's hard to believe that the Fireview is now up to $2850 sale price ($3250 list) with no changes in over a decade. It was listing around $2100 about 4-5 yrs. ago with deeper sales discounts possible. Soapstone must be getting rarer and more expensive.

Saweet. As soon as I can confirm my chimney modifications are possible (hopefully today), I'll be placing one of those orders.

It was listing around $2100 about 4-5 yrs. ago with deeper sales discounts possible. Soapstone must be getting rarer and more expensive.

Demand could also be going up. If your production line is completely full you can raise prices.

Last edited:
A friend of mine lives in VT and mentioned several years ago that Woodstock was bought by a larger company. Anyone else heard this?

Demand could also be going up. If your production line is completely full you can raise prices.
Perhaps, but I don't think so. If anything I suspect more people are going for their newer offerings. We get almost no inquiries about the Fireview these days.

I think they are trying to phase it out but in reverse. To Begreens point most of the focus is on the new products. Typically in a phase out you would lower the price and dump your inventory. In this case i feel like its a hey we will still make it if we can increase our margin by +50%. The market will determine if it stays around another decade. Just my opinion of course.

We get almost no inquiries about the Fireview these days.

Begreen, just curious about your comment--are you affiliated with Woodstock Soapstone? Does anybody know if they were bought out by somebody? I sure hope not, seems like as often as not that's when company's get milked for profit and left to go to hell. VC used to be a quality name when it was the original manufacturer, and now it's a fight back for them to regain their reputation.

I have no affiliation with any stove company. The last I knew Woodstock was privately held, but that was several years back. Not sure what will happen when Tom Morrissey retires.

This sale hit just in time. I placed an order last month, and they are shipping this week. They adjusted the price to the sale price and sent a new invoice. Saved me $400 and I got a free ash bucket. Class organization from my dealings so far. Can't wait to get this hooked up in my living room!

This sale hit just in time. I placed an order last month, and they are shipping this week. They adjusted the price to the sale price and sent a new invoice. Saved me $400 and I got a free ash bucket. Class organization from my dealings so far. Can't wait to get this hooked up in my living room!

Class act! Great news, and perhaps some others here who made recent purchases from them, such as @John Kuhn could benefit too!

My stove was ordered back in January, got some discount if not as much, and am happy enough with the stove that I'm not inclined to ask them for money back. I agree they are an impressive company and hope they can maintain the quality and customer service (and profitability!) for a long time.

Looks like a typical end of season sale. It's hard to believe that the Fireview is now up to $2850 sale price ($3250 list) with no changes in over a decade. It was listing around $2100 about 4-5 yrs. ago with deeper sales discounts possible. Soapstone must be getting rarer and more expensive.

Cost of doing business (especially health care/insurance) really puts the screws to small business... I would suspect much of what you see for increases is from that, through the entire supply chain. I don't know their business know... I just know my own.

Will Woodstock please make a top load ? Soon.
Excellent company !

Hope their next stove gets a new designer. Personally I am not a fan of the look of the new gear design stoves except in their plainest form. Inside, they rock but they would never make it to our living room. My wife is not indifferent to the look, she thinks they are ugly.

Reactions: Sailrmike
Hope their next stove gets a new designer. Personally I am not a fan of the look of the new gear design stoves except in their plainest form. Inside, they rock but they would never make it to our living room. My wife is not indifferent to the look, she thinks they are ugly.

I agree, and for us, getting the attractive Progress Hybrid was an easy choice.

Here we go with The Wife thingey !
How do you feel about the Progress Hybrid with use compared your VC Defiant ? What advantages ? Maintenance ? Heat ?

Here we go with The Wife thingey !
How do you feel about the Progress Hybrid with use compared your VC Defiant ? What advantages ? Maintenance ? Heat ?

There's more detail in my thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ws-progress-hybrid-installed-and-running.167812/, but to summarize, I like the Progress much better. Highlights are how clean it burns, the fire show when the secondaries are going, huge ash pan, and how long it retains the heat. I believe I will use less wood with this stove based on my limited experience.
At first I missed the top loading, and in fact it's harder to fill the firebox on the Progress. But it doesn't matter because whatever wood you get in there lasts longer anyway, and my wife said it's really noticeable how much cleaner it is in the stove area now. The old stove used to get lots of debris on top and in front as you loaded the wood. A little taller side door on the Progress for loading would be good, but then I guess there'd be more smoke issues when you open the door. Too soon to say about reliability, as in the 20 years I had my VC, it wasn't bad, but the Progress should be better with the welded firebox, and more easily serviced components. Catalyst service access has to be best in the industry, I'll bet I could get the cat out in 30 seconds with no tools. One thing I do miss from the old stove is the warming shelves and mitten hangers I had, wish WS would offer those as an option.

I agree, and for us, getting the attractive Progress Hybrid was an easy choice.

+3 . . . I found most of their "older" stoves to be a little too Victorian looking for my tastes . . . and then newer stoves seem a little too industrial/steam punk/contemporary.

Pretty much the only stove I really like the design of is the Progress Hybrid.

Same here Jake. My wife doesn't like the look of soapstone period, so there you have it. Fortunately we're happy with what we have.

Same here Jake. My wife doesn't like the look of soapstone period, so there you have it. Fortunately we're happy with what we have.

Interesting, for us the soapstone look was a visual step up from cast iron. As the saying goes, "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla!".