Woodstock Progress Hybrid burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My cat has slowly been getting clogged from fly ash and I think my burn times have been increasing and heat output decreasing with the air control all the way down. I'm going to let it keep getting clogged until it becomes difficult to sustain a fire with the air control shut down and see how long the burns get. If I like how it burns better, maybe that means a damper will help. I've got a 20'+ interior class A chimney and my draft has always seemed plenty strong.
It does burn better and longer but its reaches a tipping point where it will just kill the flame no matter the air setting, happened to me last night so I cleaned the cat this morning and I'm back in business.
Srichards, the end of my burn its between 250-300 when I reload.

I've got a 20'+ interior class A chimney and my draft has always seemed plenty strong.
I would just go ahead and clean the cat, and put in a pipe damper..maybe two. It (one damper) made a difference at my SIL's, although she's running a Fireview. She has about 21' with a jog at the top to avoid rafters..not sure if it's a 15* or 30* jog.

I would just go ahead and clean the cat, and put in a pipe damper..maybe two. It (one damper) made a difference at my SIL's, although she's running a Fireview. She has about 21' with a jog at the top to avoid rafters..not sure if it's a 15* or 30* jog.
Thats definitely on the list to do for summer. The problem is that my chimney pipe might not have enough room to accommodate a damper without either sawing it down or replacing it with a shorter pipe.

Thats definitely on the list to do for summer. The problem is that my chimney pipe might not have enough room to accommodate a damper without either sawing it down or replacing it with a shorter pipe.
I don't understand having to change the pipe. All I ever did was drill two holes for the shaft..?? Is that double-wall connector pipe? Not sure if there's a damper with a longer shaft for that..I've only installed them in single-wall.

I don't understand having to change the pipe. All I ever did was drill two holes for the shaft..?? Is that double-wall connector pipe? Not sure if there's a damper with a longer shaft for that..I've only installed them in single-wall.
Ah, i didn't realize you could just drill holes for a shaft and put a butterfly valve plate in there. What I had seen from an internet search was a separate module you connect inline with a stove pipe. I do have double wall though.

Ah, i didn't realize you could just drill holes for a shaft and put a butterfly valve plate in there. What I had seen from an internet search was a separate module you connect inline with a stove pipe. I do have double wall though.
With single-wall, I reached in through the stove, holding the plate in position, and fed the shaft through from outside the pipe with the other hand. It can be challenging since you can't see the plate or the humps in the rod, once they are inside the pipe. It might be even tougher with double-wall, I don't know. Might be easier with the pipe off..?