Woodstock's new stove; some updates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
A bit more on the design of the Union Hybrid stove.

The more I see, the more I like. Note too that this time they are posting the 3.2 cu ft firebox.

Excellent, thanks for the update. So its definitely a 3.2 cu ft firebox and, from the picture you posted, it looks like they are definitely incorporating a cook top similar to the Progress Hybrid, located right where they are directing maximum heat.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.

It looks like they're sticking with the new name change too. Now instead of the Union Hybrid they are calling it the Steal Hybrid. I hope they have a really(!) good marketing plan and gimmick to go with the new name. Otherwise it could hurt sales.

It looks like they're sticking with the new name change too. Now instead of the Union Hybrid they are calling it the Steal Hybrid. I hope they have a really(!) good marketing plan and gimmick to go with the new name. Otherwise it could hurt sales.

Or "steal" them from another brand.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
They make the secondary light show sound pretty cool.... :cool:

Does it look like the rear flue exit guys will have to make smoke go downhill to leave the stove? That could be a bummer when opening the loading door.
I don't see the bypass setup, just the lever.
It evidently has an independent air supply to the cat.

you might want to check this link:
I bet the commission cash is really piling up from everyone clicking through on the link in your post! ;)

Does it look like the rear flue exit guys will have to make smoke go downhill to leave the stove? That could be a bummer when opening the loading door.

Keep in mind this is just a drawing. It is pretty difficult to make smoke go downhill as you already know.

Sometimes those marketing plans take some time to work out too. I'm sure much thought has came into play already though. Kind of makes me wish I could....well, never mind...

They make the secondary light show sound pretty cool.... :cool:

I don't see the bypass setup, just the lever.
It evidently has an independent air supply to the cat.

I bet the commission cash is really piling up from everyone clicking through on the link in your post! ;)

Well, that would be nice Woody but don't think that is likely to happen any time soon. I'll still have some fun with it from time to time. And you are correct about the air supply.

11 hour burn with only 22 lbs of Doug Fir with 84% efficiency in prelim EPA test. Not too shabby!

And emissions of 0.52 g/hr and efficiency of 84%.

According to a quick review of the numbers here on the EPA website, List of EPA Certified Wood Stoves August 2013, that should make this new stove both the most efficient as well as having one of the lowest emissions ratings in actual EPA testing.

EDIT to ad:

The data on the new stove is coming from the comment below the recent post on Woodstock's blog:

Woodstock Soapstone Co.August 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Primary and secondary air are linked, and operated with a single control. The PH uses a rotating control; this stove uses a sliding damper. You cannot cut off the secondary air, but secondary activity at low burn settings is minimal (partly because secondary flow is reduced, and partly because firebox temperatures are low).

Overnight burns in the 8-12 hour range will be very easy to achieve, and on general principle we will probably never advertise anything that exceeds that range.

For reference, our preliminary EPA testing had a low burn of 11 hours with just 22 pounds of Douglas Fir (and emissions of 0.52 g/hr and efficiency of 84%). Employees burning prototypes in their homes last winter had no complaints about overnight burn times, and we would have heard about it if they did!

Tom Morrissey
Woodstock Soapstone

11 hour burn with only 22 lbs of Doug Fir with 84% efficiency in prelim EPA test. Not too shabby!

Imagine if you loaded that thing up with some nice dry Black Locust!

I looked up info from a forest service document:

Douglas Fir seasoned 330 days weighed approx 33 pounds per cubic foot.

Oven Dried weighed approx 28 pounds per cubic foot.

I am thinking that wasnt a full load of wood , it is more like 25% full so 11 hours is pretty good.

Theoretical if Douglas Fir can be oven dried to 28 Pounds per cubic foot then the 3.2 cu ft stove can hold 89.6 pounds of Douglas Fir.

http://books.google.com/books?id=RG...t 2.0 cu foot of seasoned douglas fir&f=false

Theoretical for sure. I know I have never stuffed 80+# of doug fir in our 3 cu ft stove.

So, does that make for something like 24 hour burn times with some Black Locust or another of the high BTU hardwoods?

Theoretical for sure. I know I have never stuffed 80+# of doug fir in our 3 cu ft stove.

You need to cut your wood square , so there is no gaps. LoL

I may have figured that wrong but if the wood weighs 28 pounds per cubic foot then a 3.2 cu ft stove will hold 3.2x28=89.6

So lets say we loose 25% from gaps then that gets us down to 67.2 pounds in a 3.2 cu ft stove.

Using that number the stove may have been more like 1/3 full.

Reactions: BrianK
A steel stove with top or rear exhaust appears to be the key competitive feature. Soapstone lining for extended heat retention is icing on the cake. Make it so that it can sit directly on the hearth (like some Bucks) and some folks are going to be happy to have this stove.

You need to cut your wood square , so there is no gaps. LoL

I may have figured that wrong but if the wood weighs 28 pounds per cubic foot then a 3.2 cu ft stove will hold 3.2x28=89.6

So lets say we loose 25% from gaps then that gets us down to 67.2 pounds in a 3.2 cu ft stove.

Using that number the stove may have been more like 1/3 full.

That sounds closer to real world.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Are we maybe looking at 36-44 hour burn times with a full box of hardwood? WOW!

Well using a more conservative that it was loaded around 33% in that test and add in some losses a 30 hour burn sounds very likely but what if that baby had a full load of Back Woods Savage super dry oak. What do you think Back Woods? 50 hours? jk.

Interested in this one. If I had one of these I wouldn't have to bother with all that added insulation and air sealing my house needs. Be cheaper and easier to just throw a few more splits of free wood in. ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
I've got some super dry Black Locust that I'd like to feed to one of those. It was standing dead when I cut and split it nearly 2 1/2 years ago.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Status
Not open for further replies.