Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wish you were around here in NJ. Need a big oak taken down, it's to big and to close to the house for me to di it.
Wish I could afford a vaca to NJ, my friend.

Reactions: bigealta
Thank the tree guy. He gave the excuse to get it.

Reactions: bigealta
I value my life so I'm not going to go buy a new saw right now. I got the splitter this year that's enough $ on equipment lol.

I can rent a 20" 64 cc saw from home Depot for 4 hours for $50. That's probably worth it for me even just for the one log.

I just wish I had a bigger saw for this one damn log. 🥺
If you lived closer I'd lone you one. See my sig.
Better yet, I'd stop over with my ported 80cc Dolmar. It's sporting a 32. A beer would be in order after the chip fest. That saw can throw a rooster tail. LOL

If you lived closer I'd lone you one. See my sig.
Better yet, I'd stop over with my ported 80cc Dolmar. It's sporting a 32. A beer would be in order after the chip fest. That saw can throw a rooster tail. LOL
Id buy you whatever beer you liked just to watch that saw one pass that huge log. Would be a fun sight.

Today I bucked up most of that white oak limb wood. I hand split the bigger stuff that was on top of the pile.
Grabbed about 5 wheelbarrows worth of sugar maple that I split last early July. It's got a decent ring tone to it. Put it on the porch next to the sugar maple dead wood. I split the dead wood and stacked it there couple days ago. I'll bring it all in the basement tomorrow.

I value my life so I'm not going to go buy a new saw right now. I got the splitter this year that's enough $ on equipment lol.

I can rent a 20" 64 cc saw from home Depot for 4 hours for $50. That's probably worth it for me even just for the one log.
Just found an ms 290 for $150. It's in utah though.

Just found an ms 290 for $150. It's in utah though.
Yeahhhh those are Utah prices. Everything is expensive here. I can get a used 550xp, 555, or Ms 261 around here for like $450 depending on condition. A used 372xp around $750. I'm just not looking to spend that much right now on a saw I'm only going to use sometimes, especially after I just dropped $1400 on the splitter. I think in the next few years I'll pick up a bigger saw. It's not urgent. Rather pay off some other bills first!

Yeahhhh those are Utah prices. Everything is expensive here. I can get a used 550xp, 555, or Ms 261 around here for like $450 depending on condition. A used 372xp around $750. I'm just not looking to spend that much right now on a saw I'm only going to use sometimes, especially after I just dropped $1400 on the splitter. I think in the next few years I'll pick up a bigger saw. It's not urgent. Rather pay off some other bills first!
Ha yeah, that ms290's even crazy cheap for Utah. Probably already sold. I texted my neighbor out there about it. maybe he'll go look if it's still available.

But realistically the trees out there where i am just are not that big and the ms 250 is more than enough to handle anything in my area.

It's mostly Gambel oak and Quaking Aspen with choke cherry always getting in the way.

Uunfortunately we had a spring thaw here and its been raining for 3 days....no wood cutting for me AGAIN this weekend. No snow, no frost is not the conditions I want. I think I may have to get used to the fact that my "ideal" conditions for cutting in the bush are becoming rare. 2nd mild winter in a row here thus far.

Yesterday we put in a nice load of ironwood (picture 4370) and the second load was a small load of maple that I didn't take a picture of. Today we put in two loads of maple, the first load is in picture 0979. The beech in picture 0980 is leftover from last year, that will go in tomorrow or Tuesday.

Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024

This would work 😉
This is the saw I'll be renting from Home Depot. Well, they have the previous version of it which is 20" and 64 cc. Same saw though!

Reactions: all night moe
This is the saw I'll be renting from Home Depot. Well, they have the previous version of it which is 20" and 64 cc. Same saw though!
If it's 64cc it's not the same saw as i posted....the one you may be renting is the little brother of the 7900. The 6100 is a stratified saw. Different saw and tech, a little better than the 6400. Fuel consumption is less and torq/rpm is higher on the 6100.

Non-wood Work done (in progress, so part done): kitchen ceiling paint was flaking off. Used a putty knife to get all loose paint off, cleaned the ceiling with a TSP substitute, primed the bare Sheetrock patched, and did the first skim coat in those places.

Drying now. Next is sanding the whole thing (because previous owners had patched it before not keeping the texture the same, so I'm having to sand the whole thing), more skim coating where needed, and then painting.

I'm in the early stages of a fairly major remodel myself... Ripped a bunch of paneling off drywall - lots of taping & mud work to do there, have to completely remove the stairs to get the stupid paneling removed from that area, removed some small sections of wall, adding screws to drywall in some spots (not enough used originally by original installer), removing wallpaper, new countertops & paint & flooring & wall caps, etc. 🙄

If it's 64cc it's not the same saw as i posted....the one you may be renting is the little brother of the 7900. The 6100 is a stratified saw. Different saw and tech, a little better than the 6400. Fuel consumption is less and torq/rpm is higher on the 6100.
Hmm. Well close enough I suppose. When I went to the Makita website with the model # it said discontinued and replaced with the one you linked.

Rental: DCS642120Q

So yeah it's the 6421. Then if I follow the replacement links I get to the EA6100PRGG which is the 6100 you linked.

Any one of them would be good enough. 20" and 60cc is plenty of juice for a 32" log.

Reactions: mcdougy
Also non-wood related. But I dug an 18” deep / 10’ long trench. I’m having a new house generator installed that will hook up to my underground propane tank.
We haven’t had many power outages in this house, but are starting to see the outages increase with the more severe weather we are seeing . We had one within the last 2 weeks and running the FPX unit without a blower caused me way too much stress. No running water since we are on a well stressed the wife out.

How was the frost? Hope you dug with hydraulics.
Dug by hand. Too close to propane tank and septic tank to use anything other than an old fashion shovel. It was relatively easy with the warmup we had this past week. Just took a few hours.

I tried digging with a pickaxe and shovel last Fri. This was down in the flatlands. Was like concrete. No progress made.

I tried digging with a pickaxe and shovel last Fri. This was down in the flatlands. Was like concrete. No progress made.
Yea, I don’t think I could have done this last week with temps in the single digits. We are in the low 30s now with rain this whole week. Really softened the ground up a lot for me.

Busy weekend.. First on Saturday, I separated most of the shipping containers I scrounged from the Power Equipment store into individual pieces. (Still have some back by my wood piles to do). This will be the building materials for the small woodshed (approx 10 X 4). Some nice stuff. The one pic is a stack of 1 X 6 (pretty sure it is white oak). This is True 1 X 6, not the 7/8 X 1 -7/8 stuff you get at the lumber yard. Second pic is all of the other stuff (1 X 4, 2X4, 1/2 X6 etc). Also ended up with a garbage can full of small pieces. Those will be burned in the firepit as they are full of staples. Started with trying to remove the staples from the boards, they tried a dremmel tool, finally got out the 4" Angle grinder and just cut them off. Still burned through 3 cutoff wheels. On Sunday, replaced the Carb and fuel lines on the leaf blower, Cleaned out all of the gunk that accumulated in the chainsaw and sharpened the chain. (Oh and attended granddaughters 1st Birthday Party)

Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024