Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still splitting the big oak. Might have one quarter of it split. Trying to have it done by the end if this month, weather depending. I work 12 hrs shifts so it's only possible to get any done on my days off. This row, so far measures 50 ft long...about 1.5 cords. Should get about 6 cords from this one tree. That isn't even including the trunck that my neighbor hauled away. It was way to big for me to consider messing with

Work Done 2024

We made kindling today. Ran out of splitter junk from last year so we diced up about 3 log bags worth of 4 year old mixed maple, box elder, ash, and cherry. It just explodes when the hatchet hits it. Primo stuff for top down fires.

Reactions: all night moe
We made kindling today. Ran out of splitter junk from last year so we diced up about 3 log bags worth of 4 year old mixed maple, box elder, ash, and cherry. It just explodes when the hatchet hits it. Primo stuff for top down fires.
Loves me splitter slag. I'm almost out too.

Reactions: Bobbob
I box up sticks and splitting scraps in medium size cardboard boxes and stack them under the garage storage area. Grab a box and go. Makes storing and stacking them up easy.

Reactions: Bobbob
Began building the shed. Using shipping container scraps is turning out to be a PIA. The 1 X 6 Oak is hard as nails. My 16D galvanized nails hit it and start bending. Resorting to Drilling pilot holes for nails and screws. So I cobbled together one of the Oak 1 X 6 with a 2 X 8 X 8 to give me 136" board. Made 2 of those and then made 2 sets of 2 Oak 1 X 6 nailed together for the base side. Made two sets of 2 54" 1 X 4 oak. Nailed / Screwed all of that together. Attached 3 6ft 2 X 4's and 3 7ft 2 X 4s's for the uprights.
Tomorrow I'll have to make 2 144" boards to tie the Uprights together. Then will come roofing joists if I have time.

shed.jpeg

Last edited:
The kids and I went out and tapped 15 red maples today. I also lugged out cinder blocks to put together the evaporator tomorrow. I'll just need to hit the store for a few firebricks (scavenged the ones I had for the fire pit) and a piece of round duct work for a chimney. We'll hopefully be boiling Friday

I love sugar season! 🍁

Work Done 2024

I have just been keeping the garage filled. The temps have not been bad so that has been a easy project to to, as we are not burning a lot right now and temps are going to be 40's and 50's this coming week. Caw, a few friends of mine are getting ready to make syrup as well. Temps in the 40's plus during the day and below freezing at night should make for a good week. Hope you get some made.

More sugar prep today. Got the evaporator built and gave it a test fire with water. Checked the taps, about 1/4-1/2 a gallon each today. I'll check again after work tomorrow. Only change I'm going to make for the first real boil is to raise the pans half a block up to give me more firebox volume:

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

I also got my new 20x6' 16 mil tarps from Tarps Direct up on next year's wood. They look great, are thiccc, and having grommets every 18" is luxurious. I'll put the other two up on my new wood once I'm done splitting. Wood lot is coming along nicely:

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

Connected with a neighbor who has a downed white (?) oak, so I cut up and hauled home some of that yesterday. I don’t own a truck, so all of the wood hauling happens in the back of the car.

View attachment 324361 View attachment 324362
When we cut down the Red oak at my in-laws, I filled the back of my wife's Traverse twice with the Splits. Next time you might want to consider putting a tarp down that can go up the sides. It will protect the interior from scratched and make getting the bark piece out easier.

And or large cardboard like refrigerator boxes, Fold the ends up to make a u covering the floor and walls. cut it to fit with razor knife. Easy to slide wood in and out with good protection. I use double layers of this in my CRV.

More sugar prep today. Got the evaporator built and gave it a test fire with water. Checked the taps, about 1/4-1/2 a gallon each today. I'll check again after work tomorrow. Only change I'm going to make for the first real boil is to raise the pans half a block up to give me more firebox volume:

View attachment 324333View attachment 324334View attachment 324335
View attachment 324337

I also got my new 20x6' 16 mil tarps from Tarps Direct up on next year's wood. They look great, are thiccc, and having grommets every 18" is luxurious. I'll put the other two up on my new wood once I'm done splitting. Wood lot is coming along nicely:

View attachment 324338View attachment 324339View attachment 324340
Looks great.. Yesterday while I was working on my new wood shed, the wife came out and asked how many more wood piles I was going to do because they were obscuring her view of the woods. Was wise enough to not say that for 8 months out of the year you can't see two feet into them due to the leaves.

This is the next topped off pine that will come down, hopefully it's c/s/s by this Friday. Last year a total of 13 dead pine came from the house lot, hopefully I can c/s/s another 6 or 7 before the snow is gone.

Work Done 2024

You guys have been busy!

Thought for the day--did the expression "windfall" start when some poor sod went outside dreading taking down the next tree with an axe, only to find that Mother Nature had taken care of him by knocking down a tree or two?

I thought about you guys a couple of days ago. when I finally felt well enough and got out to deal with a couple of big deadfall ash trees--that fell across my 'driveway'through the piled stone walls out back.

I'm only working a few hours a day, but I got them bucked up and stacked--and was able to get the first batch through the splitter (which I had to fuss with since I didn't put it away properly). Good to be back in the land of the living!

(I'll try to get a picture today.)

well.. super lucky me today.. my friend who ownes a tree service arbitrarily stopped by yesterday and today and started dropping off wood from a job hes doing near my shop.. he has 1 or 2 more days work still to do.. all oak.. I bet thers 6 cords of free oak when hes done..

Work Done 2024

Weather's finally cooperated for me to get the splitter out. I can't access my stacks yet due to icy snow and mud but can at least get some splitting in. Hopefully the remaining ice melts this weekend and the ground will refreeze next week so I can bring it all back. For now it gets stacked in the driveway...easy to do with all the nice rectangle pieces. Splitting some big boys, got a full wheelbarrow from just half a round!

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024