Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was back in the Brook again today, we pulled two logs that were down in the water along with bucking some of it up, hopefully by Sunday everything is out of the water and off the banks.

The weather is looking good for finishing up the job, that's always nice.

It was more hours in the Brook cleaning up the mess on top of some logs, since the logs are cleaned off so nothing gets down stream, we'll be pulling out what's left of the logs from the far side soon.

With the area getting pretty full of chit that we pulled out or threw up by hand, I put the forks on the 4540 and moved some logs out of the way so we have a clear path.

Finished the roof. The day after we got 10 inches of rain. Little off square but oh well. Luckily its just a fire wood shed. Will hold just under 2 cords.
20220907_182845.jpg

Another three hours were spent clearing logs off the southside bank, we have about three or four logs left on the northside bank and the work inside the Brook is done.

There isn't much room back in that area anymore with all the chit taking up real estate, we should have room for the last three or four.

We finished pulling the last logs out at 9:27 a.m. today, the work inside the brook is done. The wife was a huge help on this job, she piled all the the boards on the right in picture 3247.

The wife did tell me that more chit up on the neighbors part of the brook could come down, we'll see if that happens if we get heavy rains this fall.

The tractor made pulling the logs out pretty easy, thank god for hydraulics.

104_3247.JPG 104_3248.JPG 104_3249.JPG 104_3250.JPG 104_3251.JPG

My log splitter broke. It was with in warranty. Waited a month before, received replacement parts this Friday. Fixed this weekend and finally split the last pile of wood, stacked and done. I need to start planning for next season once the temps start dropping.

cords.jpg

Today we put in four loads of shoulder season wood along with some kindling, we might get some good rains so we put it in before they hit.

After we put in wood I cleaned all the zerks on the tractor and then greased the tractor and the backhoe along with checking the fluids, all fluids were good.

Installed my Jotul F100 and chimney system last year.
So, for 2022: This spring, got my woodshed put up. Eventually transferred existing CSS wood from various racks to it.
Between a lack of time because I'm working on a cabin build, and my 10 year old Stihl now needs attention...didn't get much more wood stacked up. So, this weekend, got 2/3 cord of "kiln dried" oak delivered. Despite our discussion ahead of time, what I got was....unsatisfactory. Much of the larger pieces still wet inside. A risk I know I took...but irritating nonetheless. Ended up separating out a bunch of it to try and keep the drier stuff in the ready to go pile. Rest of it will have to sit until next year.

Positive: I now have about a full cord of wood under cover. Not quite enough for 2 years of my guess at our use, but getting close. Also have some red pine rounds and logs ready to be CSS when I get the Stihl fixed.

Cut a few dead trees up today. Got most of this winter's wood hulled up from the woods and stacked over the weekend. Will move another cord up and into the garage. Then, back to splitting and stacking....never ending process. But, I do enjoy every minute of it. I've learned to do a little here and there. Much more fun that way!

20220913_085723.jpg 20220913_094023.jpg 20220913_094637.jpg 20220913_094654.jpg 20220913_094755.jpg

Cleaned the chimney, split the 2 loads of ash and the softwood, hauled another load of ash from the tree service, got another load of mixed wood dropped from another tree service. Been a busy week. Tuesday was the last day working on the trashed rental, so needed all this done to return to the Northwoods to get back to working on the cabin. Leaving tomorrow morning for at least a month.

Got back to the Northwoods this afternoon. Cleaned the chimney on the cabin for the first time. Only about 2 cups or so of creosote which isn't bad for burning about 75% of the winter, some of it with some questionably seasoned wood.
IMG_20220916_163326.jpg

With the 4540, I moved another three loads of the chit in picture 3247 in my above post 330 to the outside fireplace. I had a dead pine down just off the driveway so I limbed that up and took three loads to the fireplace. I c/s some of that pine and then brought it over to the fireplace and covered everything.

Before I put everything away, I grabbed a 12 foot step ladder and cleaned out a blocked gutter and then put everything away.

Last year I gave a face cord to a neighbor further down the road, this year a another neighbor received half of a free face cord of Ironwood with the rest going down after the rains are done.

I'll fill the open spot with some Beech this fall.

Cut a few dead trees up today. Got most of this winter's wood hulled up from the woods and stacked over the weekend. Will move another cord up and into the garage. Then, back to splitting and stacking....never ending process. But, I do enjoy every minute of it. I've learned to do a little here and there. Much more fun that way!

View attachment 298966 View attachment 298967 View attachment 298968 View attachment 298969 View attachment 298970
we bought an old house to flip and it came with a bent extension ladder...stealing this idea! genius!!

Even though the temps were around 80 this weekend, burning season is coming. Got the house loaded up. All set for when the temps drop!

Finished splitting the remaining wood I had from the semi load in 2019. Just over 6 cords left. Stacked most of it for a little more drying time before putting it under the shop. The right half of the picture is mostly red elm from the little cutting I was able to get done. The trailer load is going under the shop.
B97D616B-F779-4867-9C91-B848F0319C25.jpeg
F33CE4D1-7A3A-4680-9EDF-341093C93F12.jpeg
Still have a little bit left and that will go under the shop as well.
A1BEE1C8-E1BE-4015-BE4D-EA044A60F0DC.jpeg
Cheers

With about four days of rain coming in starting tomorrow afternoon, we put two loads of shoulder season wood in this morning.

I brought three loads using the tractor from the junk wood we took out of the brook over to the outside fireplace today. Hopefully I have enough dry pine that I can burn all the junk wood from the brook.

Months ago the rhino had lost all of its compression, when I could tell something was wrong, I had it tested.....only 93. After the top end rebuild it tested at 192 without any leak downs. I was told that we should give it a five hour break in and not any high speeds or towing heavy loads, I did ten hours.

Today was the first day checking a area, except for some trail clearing most everything was the same except for some wind damage.

104_3254.JPG 104_3255.JPG 104_3257.JPG 104_3258.JPG 104_3260.JPG 104_3262.JPG