You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you debate on parking the fishing boat outside( the large add-on to the garage) to make room for several more cords to stock-pile up for the next few years.
When you have access to free wood and can't get enough and can't say no.
When you druel over trees laying in the woods you just can't get(big fat oak ones) down a steep ravene you dream of winching out some-how.
Then you know you are HOOKED sitting on you're ATV in the woods lusting over all that standing dead timber enough to make you cry...

use your stove matches to light your kids birthday candles

When you really burn wood ;-)

Digger Pine said:
When you finally register as a member to Hearth.Com First Post HaHa

Or when you have been on hearth.com for going on 3 years and you still get a good feeling answering the question "why is my glass getting black"......... for the 50th time.

when you're on vacation in Bermuda in December and you:

1) keep checking hearth.com from the hotel's business center;
2) keep checking the local Wisconsin weather and cuss when you see how cold it is,
and the furnace is running to keep the pipes from freezing;
3) go out to eat a a Bermuda restaurant and enjoy a Cuban cigar in front of the chimenea
in the parking lot while daydreaming about your real wood stove back home; and
4) hunt down the owner to ask what kind of wood he's burning in the chimenea.

northwinds said:

2) keep checking the local Wisconsin weather and cuss when you see how cold it is,
3) go out to eat a a Bermuda restaurant and enjoy a Cuban cigar in front of the chimenea

That wouldn't be at the Swizzle Inn, would it?

Drink a Dark and Stormy for me!

Chris

Redox said:
northwinds said:

That wouldn't be at the Swizzle Inn, would it?

Drink a Dark and Stormy for me!

Chris

Never got to the Swizzle Inn; this was Tom Moore's Tavern.

I got back on Sunday, but I had multiple Dark and Stormy's last week. I'll be looking for decent ginger beer after
bringing some Gosling's Black Seal home in the suitcase. It was a beautiful island, but I'd go broke if I stayed too long.

When you split your wood and smell it, i love the smell of fresh split red oak !

When you split so much wood you can barely get to the front door of your house. Then you look at the pile and think is this enough. Only to realize you just want to take the super split log splitter out one more time just to play....becasue you are addicted to wood.

Attachments

• 1393876341_e001736339.jpg
    1393876341_e001736339.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 439
Redox said:
...when the utility company calls because they can't get to your meter due to all the wood in the back yard, you know you're a Woodneck! :coolsmile:

Chris

Ahhaha ahaha ha ! Is there any doubt about any of us being a woodneck ?

......Your 4 year old daughter, tongue almost touching her nose, barely manages to drag the splitting maul to your feet...and then, arms crossed and chin to chest, looks up at you with all the conviction she can muster, and offers to help split that stubborn piece of cured Ash you've just given up on.

TS

Hosting a party for your kid's graduation you point at your wood pile and boast "There's my pride and joy".

When you get excited reading about the potential for "downed branches and trees" in the details of the "Ice Storm Warning" in tonights weather forecast... and smile thinking about how the power failures won't bother you nearly as much this year as last year :)

When you make a thread called "You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner When…" and it gets 218+ replies

LOL@ Ash.....Cold....but enthusiastic.

TS

karri0n said:
When you make a thread called "You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner When…" and it gets 218+ replies

And over 6,000 page views. I start this thread every year and it has never run this long. :lol:

ilikewood said:
cannonballcobb said:
When your neighbor stops by and asks,

"Do you have a bad back or something? I saw your wife splitting wood today while you were at work." :lol:

My vote so far is for Cannonball.....I think we need some vids of the wifes splitting/stacking wood

I'm up for that ! I might need some time to figure out how to upload video from my cell phone & post it to the site. What date are you ladies shooting for - for posting the "WOMAN WOOD SPLITTING" videos ? I say "Woman" instead of wives because not all of us are wives. But I certainly would warm up my swinger & shoulders for that ! I'd like to see some of these guys hand splitting in freezing temps, at nite, not missing or needed to take more than one hit. You get points for form, points for tenacity, and points for not getting wife or kids to help !

Dill said:
That post made me remember this. A popular yearly joke on a another Forum I'm active on.
Vertically stacked, symetrical pieces get covered by a monogramed, custom tailored, canvas sail cloth wood stack cover I special ordered from Pottery Barn. It looks very professional.
For the assymetrical "stacks", I prefer a more down-home feel. These are protecetd by hand crocheted wool wood pile cozies I made from yarn I spun from wool sheared from a neighbor's sheep. A nice, personal touch.
Wood piles, they're a "good thing".....

WOW ! Martha would be proud ! Are you sure you don't live in Westchester County NY or Darien, Conn ? he he

Status
Not open for further replies.