2015-2016 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
;lol
What's unique and hard about the BK is that you need to remove the black stove pipe to vacuum out the cat chamber and the back of the cat after sweeping. Much harder than my non-cats where I could drop out the baffle, and reach everything from below.

I was not a believer in removing the flue from my BK since this PITA seems unnecessary but it's not too bad of a job. I now sweep and then follow with the flue removal and vacuum.

I wouldn't want somebody carelessly retightening the small sheet metal screws into the black pipe since they can easily strip.
I sure had a hard time convincing you!==c

Reactions: Highbeam
What's unique and hard about the BK is that you need to remove the black stove pipe to vacuum out the cat chamber and the back of the cat after sweeping. Much harder than my non-cats where I could drop out the baffle, and reach everything from below.

I was not a believer in removing the flue from my BK since this PITA seems unnecessary but it's not too bad of a job. I now sweep and then follow with the flue removal and vacuum.

I wouldn't want somebody carelessly retightening the small sheet metal screws into the black pipe since they can easily strip.
Slip joint...

Same here. I have telescoping pipes on both stoves. One stove is complicated by a pair of 45 degree jogs about 3 feet above the stove collar, but the other is a straight shot.

All double-wall pipe, which I really dislike. Seems to me that sometimes the outer wall snugs up before the inner pipe is full seated, given the imperfect nature of tapers on both inner and outer pipes.

When I have slipped up double-wall stove pipe that has been screwed at the slip joint it gets vertical scratch marks from the puckered screw holes.

After putting my slip joint back in place I wipe everything down with a damp paper towel then do a quick spray high temp paint flat black, fire up the stove then good to go.
All this talk reminded me that I have to order a dvl kit for my stove, also need a appliance adapter to connect the dvl to the existing stove collar.

While on the subject of getting excited about the coming burn season, I'm thinking I should replace both my door gasket and bypass gasket. Can I order these direct form BK? I'm not sure I trust my local dealer to sell me the correct materials. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

While on the subject of getting excited about the coming burn season, I'm thinking I should replace both my door gasket and bypass gasket. Can I order these direct form BK? I'm not sure I trust my local dealer to sell me the correct materials. Thanks

The answers thus far have been consistent:

1. You cannot order directly from BK.
2. There is no guarantee your dealer will supply OEM parts. A serious concern when it's time to replace your cat.

Dang it, that's what I was afraid of! My dealer is a nice group of folks and very helpful but they tend to suggest "don't worry we use this on all or brands" when ever I ask for BK products.

Dang it, that's what I was afraid of! My dealer is a nice group of folks and very helpful but they tend to suggest "don't worry we use this on all or brands" when ever I ask for BK products.

They are able to order stoves from bk, you must ask and insist on genuine parts from bk. You know it will cost more but please, bk only.

I replaced the door gasket this year after three years and the new gasket is much thicker. The bypass gasket looks to be more challenging and is not as important.

I'd suggest checking the ash plug situation, before buying an Ashford 30.1. It is frustrating enough on a weekly basis that I'd delay purchase until it's corrected. I love my Ashford 30's six days a week, but I curse them every 7th day, when I have to empty the ash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest checking the ash plug situation, before buying an Ashford 30.1. It is frustrating enough on a weekly basis that I'd delay purchase until it's corrected. I love my Ashford 30's six days a week, but I curse them every 7th day, when I have to empty the ash.

Can you clarify the issue? With my 20.1, I really didn't use the ash plug, instead I'd just use a flat and small coal shovel to lift the bulk of the ashes.
The included ash plug worked fine and lifted (with the included poker) easily, but I had to clear the ashes from the "hole" to put the plug back in tightly.

Not familiar with what the ash plug situation. Is but is that a problem on the scirocco, chinook and Ashford? I want to buy a scirocco or Ashford soon.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Not familiar with what the ash plug situation. Is but is that a problem on the scirocco, chinook and Ashford? I want to buy a scirocco or Ashford soon.
I'm hoping Ashful can explain everything. My 2015 Ashford 20.1 seemed to work well except the above mentioned additional work (clearing the ashes to ensure a tight seal after emptying ashes).

I think all stoves require the ash plug hole to be clean in order to seal well...

Of course, and I can't say that my new blaze king really has any issue (I've never noticed it leaking air into the chamber with the door closed as this would be visible via glowing embers around the hole).
In short, I can't say I'd let it hold me back from purchasing a Blaze King. We'll see what ashful has to say.

Allow me please. In the first few production runs, the hole itself was not centered in the ash drawer itself. If you were to sweep the ashes from front to back, some ashes could drop onto the rear lip or beyond onto the hearth.

The 20.1 and 30.1 versions of all models addressed this issue by moving the ash plug more towards center of the pan.

To date, the change seems to have addressed the issue completely.

Thank you,
BKVP

Thank you so much! That explains it well. My bk dealer carries your brand but never has any in the showroom so I'm always trying to get as much info as possible. A bit risky buying sight unseen but the risk so far seems worth it.

Just an FYI, your dealer not having them is our issue...we are slammed and running a bit behind. Please do not fault your dealer.

No worries I live fairly far from the bigger dealers. But I really want to deal with my local guy since they are closer to offer support Before I order I'll probably make the trip to the city to see it in person since I can't pick between the two :)

BKVP nailed it, and there's a photo shoot of the issue (by webby, I think) earlier in this thread. However, he used the word "ash", as if you're only ever cleaning out a dead-cold stove.

Using the ash plug on a warm stove, you almost always end up with hot smoking coals (not just ash) on the floor under the stove, since the plug is incorrectly located over the rear edge of the pan. So then you have to get down on your hands and knees, and try to sweep or shovel these coals out from under the stove, lest they fill your house with the stink of burning coals (or worse) every time you use the ash plug. It's just not the safest thing in the world to have a bed of hot coals smoldering on the floor under the stove after each weekly cleaning.

If they fixed it, then that's fantastic, but is there a solution for those of us who bought the stove before you fixed this problem? You had mentioned the possibility of going to longer (triple-extension) slides, to get the pan farther back under the existing hole, but I never heard that this was implemented. I love my Ashford 30.1's (as they're badged), but this issue is a major safety flaw when using the ash plug.

BKVP nailed it, and there's a photo shoot of the issue (by webby, I think) earlier in this thread. However, he used the word "ash", as if you're only ever cleaning out a dead-cold stove.

Using the ash plug on a warm stove, you almost always end up with hot smoking coals (not just ash) on the floor under the stove, since the plug is incorrectly located over the rear edge of the pan. So then you have to get down on your hands and knees, and try to sweep or shovel these coals out from under the stove, lest they fill your house with the stink of burning coals (or worse) every time you use the ash plug. It's just not the safest thing in the world to have a bed of hot coals smoldering on the floor under the stove after each weekly cleaning.

If they fixed it, then that's fantastic, but is there a solution for those of us who bought the stove before you fixed this problem? You had mentioned the possibility of going to longer (triple-extension) slides, to get the pan farther back under the existing hole, but I never heard that this was implemented. I love my Ashford 30.1's (as they're badged), but this issue is a major safety flaw when using the ash plug.

The units with original ash drawers did in fact pass all safety tests. Required clearances in front of the stove, to the sides and rear are all for ember protection.

Longer slides were tried to no avail. There is not an easy fix, although it can be done.

Any one that would like to address this can contact me directly. I should note, with the exception of a few folks here, only one user had an issue and that was resolved by not filling the pan completely and also only raking ashes and coals forward into the ash hole. Try this, it seems to be a better alternative. Or as I wrote above, just give me a call anytime.

BKVP

That level of service above is pretty much why I want a blaze king...

Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.