2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a princess made in 2011. Every so often I find the damper is turned all the way down...way past the 1 mark. Like as counterclockwise as it can go.

This morning I had the damper all the way open, went to take a shower, came out and it was all the way down. My wife was outside with the dogs. No one else lives here. She says she didn’t touch the crazy contraption that puts out heat magically.

Am I getting dementia, do we have a ghost, or is there a reason the damper is turning itself down?

I haven’t had mine apart yet, Doc. But I’ve seen the photos, and there’s a wave spring washer under a collar, that provides the friction to prevent this. I suspect your collar slipped, and just needs to be snugged up against that washer.

There are two pressure washers with a set collar on the thermostat rod. It could be the tension is loosened up.

The fix is simple. You need vise grips, a sharpie, a flat blade screwdriver a set of Allen wreches.

First remove the fans on the side of stove that has the thermostat, no fans, skip this step. Second, turn thermostat knob until black screw on collar faces straight up. Use the sharpie and make a mark on the road so you can get exact same reference point. Third, clamp the vise grips to the rod, against the set collar. Using an Allen wrench, loosen the set screw. Place the flat blade screw driver between collar and view grips. Turn the handle of the screwdriver and that will push collar against washers, which is what you want. Tighten set screw in exact same position, in line with sharpie mark. Turn knob. If too loose do it again by moving vise grips towards collar and the opposite if it's too tight. That should fix your situation.

20180407_125250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doc C
The two hole model! That old Wrigley's gum commercial.

Blaze King made a cut away demo unit for dealers. In that model, we used all parts (including the thermostat) that cannot be mistaken/barrowed as parts for customers. I dare say with two quarter size holes, burn times would be drastically altered.

I saw the cut-away demo at my local shop. Very interesting for an HVAC person. I would not alter or try to alter or " improve" it in any way. Repair or lube-OK. My baffle plate warped again this year so I pounded it flat. If permitted to warp any more, flames might be able to lick the cat and cats hate being licked. I pounded it flat on a cement surface. Easy to do.

This morning I had the damper all the way open, went to take a shower, came out and it was all the way down. My wife was outside with the dogs. No one else lives here. She says she didn’t touch the crazy contraption that puts out heat magically.

Paranormal. Ancient Aliens. Gotta be.

There are two pressure washers with a set collar on the thermostat rod. It could be the tension is loosened up.

The fix is simple. You need vise grips, a sharpie, a flat blade screwdriver a set of Allen wreches.

First remove the fans on the side of stove that has the thermostat, no fans, skip this step. Second, turn thermostat knob until black screw on collar faces straight up. Use the sharpie and make a mark on the road so you can get exact same reference point. Third, clamp the vise grips to the rod, against the set collar. Using an Allen wrench, loosen the set screw. Place the flat blade screw driver between collar and view grips. Turn the handle of the screwdriver and that will push collar against washers, which is what you want. Tighten set screw in exact same position, in line with sharpie mark. Turn knob. If too loose do it again by moving vise grips towards collar and the opposite if it's too tight. That should fix your situation.

View attachment 225479

Any idea why it would only turn itself off if it is left on high?

I’ll take a stab. Sail effect. Air rushing past will tend to pull it closed, a fail-safe design, if there ever was one.

Because the bimetallic spring pulls it closed.

I’ve been lurking on this thread for the past few months, I just ordered an Ashford 30 today. I’ve been going back and forth in my mind whether I wanted the princess ultra or an Ashford but had to make a decision. Thanks to all who participate on this thread it’s been educational to say the least. @BKVP you made the decision to go with BlazeKing much easier. Thank you.

Reactions: gastone21 and BKVP
Welcome to the forum. Lots of informations and nice people here.

I’ve been lurking on this thread for the past few months, I just ordered an Ashford 30 today. I’ve been going back and forth in my mind whether I wanted the princess ultra or an Ashford but had to make a decision. Thanks to all who participate on this thread it’s been educational to say the least. @BKVP you made the decision to go with BlazeKing much easier. Thank you.
Why did you go with the Ashford? I am still on the fence between the two

Ok, done in King of Prussia and headed for Cabela’s tomorrow!

Why did you go with the Ashford? I am still on the fence between the two
Honestly I think I would be happy with either one. I might be wrong but was thinking the Ashford was a more convection stove and not as likely to overheat us in the room it’s in trying to heat the rest of the house. It looks a little better to me as well however I don’t mind the looks of the princess ultra either.

I would not touch the cat until you have to. The cleaning process would normally only be used after 5-6 years...depending on how much you use the stove of course. A person burning 3 cords a year might clean it much later than someone burning 5 cords a year. Remember, any time you pull a cat, you’ll need a new gasket.

I would guess someone burning 3 cords a year would not have to touch it until they have to.

It is hard to talk years as that has no meaning. I am not one that burns only 3 or 5 cords a year (so these are below my years), hours of burn would be a bit more informative, I burn approximately 4 to 5000 hours a season straight. If you could please answer my question, asked twice, with regard to performance it would be appreciated.

1) What is the ball park number of hours on a cat when you should thing of replace it (it is coated with a sacrificial cathode correct?). Some have posted these numbers on prior posts, but now I am confused.

2) What should I expect that it will keep running clean but I need to increase the air more and more as the cat ages shorting burn times for more heat?

I do not care about the price of cats, or replacing it, I am just trying to understand the way they work and what I should expect with regard to performance lose vs hours used and how many hours when I should plan on replacing it.

Regards

Hi, I'm looking at buying my first wood stove. BK has been highly recommended by a friend, specifically the non-cat Princess. I live in Manitoba, Canada. This would be my primary heat source, not only in winter, but also in spring and fall. My house is only 1000 sq. feet and I like the temperature during the day to be around 66-67 and 60 overnight (I can close my bedroom door to keep it cooler). After reading all the information on the beginner thread, I am concerned that the BK Princess may be too big for my space? My house is a single story, not well insulated. The floor has no insulation and only 12" between it and the ground. The stove would be placed centrally in the house. I want a stove that has long burn times, so I don't have to worry when I go to work that after 8-10 hours I will come home to a cold house. I like what I've read about the BK burn times, and that it is thermostatically controlled. However, only the BK Princess and King come in non-cat model and they may be too big. I would have to burn the Princess on low most of the time, which is not good or efficient and creates more creosote from what I've read. Also what one sales person told me is that because of the thermostat on the BK, it will also create more creosote and therefore I need to get the cat model. He was pushing a large stove on me, either a Regency F3100 or Osburn 2200 or 2400.I haven't read much about those models. I live alone and want a dependable, easy to operate stove. Currently, I have a pellet stove (that I can't stand ... it's loud and does not keep the house remotely warm enough without me using electric heaters all winter as well - it is rated at 38K BTU and says it will heat 700-1600 sq foot house. But, with all doors closed and the main area to be heated being 600, I can't get more than 63 degrees on high with it, hence I want to change to wood) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is an investment that I want to last for years and years so I want to make the best choice I can. Thank you.

Last edited:
You won't be unhappy!

Hi, I'm looking at buying my first wood stove. BK has been highly recommended by a friend, specifically the non-cat Princess. I live in Manitoba, Canada. This would be my primary heat source, not only in winter, but also in spring and fall. My house is only 1000 sq. feet and I like the temperature during the day to be around 66-67 and 60 overnight (I can close my bedroom door to keep it cooler). After reading all the information on the beginner thread, I am concerned that the BK Princess may be too big for my space? My house is a single story, not well insulated. The floor has no insulation and only 12" between it and the ground. The stove would be placed centrally in the house. I want a stove that has long burn times, so I don't have to worry when I go to work that after 8-10 hours I will come home to a cold house. I like what I've read about the BK burn times, and that it is thermostatically controlled. However, only the BK Princess and King come in non-cat model and they may be too big. I would have to burn the Princess on low most of the time, which is not good or efficient and creates more creosote from what I've read. Also what one sales person told me is that because of the thermostat on the BK, it will also create more creosote and therefore I need to get the cat model. He was pushing a large stove on me, either a Regency F3100 or Osburn 2200 or 2400.I haven't read much about those models. I live alone and want a dependable, easy to operate stove. Currently, I have a pellet stove (that I can't stand ... it's loud and does not keep the house remotely warm enough without me using electric heaters all winter as well - it is rated at 38K BTU and says it will heat 700-1600 sq foot house. But, with all doors closed and the main area to be heated being 600, I can't get more than 63 degrees on high with it, hence I want to change to wood) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is an investment that I want to last for years and years so I want to make the best choice I can. Thank you.
I didn't know they made a non-cat stove...

The king and princess are both cat stoves. They are not offered in non-cat. Your dealer is feeding you some bad info.

The thermostat does not create creosote. What a notion. As long as the combustor is in active burn, and your wood is dry, your emissions will be clean. We have seen only very few reports of any creo problems on BKs, all related to flue gasses dropping below condensation temperature on cold chimneys. This requires an unfortunate combination of circumstances you are unlikely to repeat.

The king and princess are both cat stoves. They are not offered in non-cat. Your dealer is feeding you some bad info.

The thermostat does not create creosote. What a notion. As long as the combustor is in active burn, and your wood is dry, your emissions will be clean. We have seen only very few reports of any creo problems on BKs, all related to flue gasses dropping below condensation temperature on cold chimneys. This requires an unfortunate combination of circumstances you are unlikely to repeat.
I emailed BK directly about this last week, and they are offered as non-cat. My friend that recommended the BK Princess, has a non-cat one. Here is the email response that I received from BK about this:

"Thank you for considering Blaze King.

Only the Princess and King models are offered as a Non-Catalytic. The Non-Catalytic models come with a Thermostat that will regulate the heat output, but the Thermometer is not included (Thermometer tells you when the Catalytic component is Active). All our other models, such as Ashford, Chinook, and Sirocco are Catalytic models. Unfortunately we do not have conversions for the Catalytic Models.

You can check out all the models on our website www.blazeking.com.
Our dealers are great with an question as well, closest Dealer to you would be Anola Building Centre (204) 866-2815. We have a couple dealers in Winnipeg as well if you prefer.

Jessica Logie
Dealer Support

Blaze King Industries Inc
Valley Comfort Systems"

Sooo much misinformation in this post. Stick around and we will get you educated with the correct information.

Only thing I could think of that maybe other countries have requirements that allow a non cat BK.

Forget BTU Ratings. Forget Square footage ratings. They are all very subjective. Based on type of wood burning, condition of insulation, wind sucking heat out of the house, draft, and so much more. Focus more on the box size.

Blaze Kings will allow you to dial the stove down father then a typical non cat steel stove. So a larger stove can be run. The cat burns the gas from the wood a lot cleaner and creates a lot less creosote even on very low settings.

I would be looking for a cat stove in the size range of 2.5-2.8 cf box maybe even a little larger if it has the automatic damper. With a BK I would not even be hesitant to go up to a 3.0CF box.

From the sounds of it your house is probably closer to a decently insulated 1500 square foot house. I have a princess in my 1880 SF well insulated house and it does just fine. Very rarely do I need to open a window. And that’s only on days that have high thermal gain as we have a LOT of sun that hits our house.

The only concern I have about your house is you mention that you can’t get the temp up in the whole house. If you are losing so much heat that it can’t get to the other rooms then I think any stove might have a hard time getting that accomplished.

Spray foam is your friend!

Last edited:

PT/KT models are non cat and are made for up North I think, but I don't know if they still making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.