2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

webfish Posted By webfish, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    One hazard of being raised by apes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bholler and tarzan like this.
  2. Diabel

Diabel
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    5DE56557-442B-4CCA-87BE-A887ADD85262.jpeg 0AAF56F8-E1D3-4E21-91BF-73608CF78587.jpeg 810138E0-0E87-46EE-A3F7-7059E5CEC28E.jpeg 57AD8574-B13C-441B-9982-C720394F67DA.jpeg

The beast is in!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Squisher, Ashful and gregbesia like this.
  3. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    20180711_141914.jpg
    Well i guess i am one of you guys now at least for a season. Showerguy just dropped off a princess for me to try for a season. And thanks again for that

4. Diabel

Diabel
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Nice!

It should not be a much of a learning curve for a seasoned burner like you.

I am looking forward to comparing the two stoves in all different circumstances and how they perform. I even bought a new ceramic cat for the Encore.

5. Diabel

Diabel
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Btw
    Is your demo used?

6. moresnow

moresnow
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2015
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Oh my.... 90+ F outdoors and my feet just cooled off;lol Weird eh.
    Just givin you a hard time BH. Cant wait to participate in your experience. Hope you enjoy it!

7. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yes it is. It needs gaskets and paint. And he gave me a new cat to go with it

8. petersh

petersh
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Lexington, KY
    Hello, I am new here.
    I am just want to make sure BK is suitable for my house.
    How can I do that?

9. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I have a whole new (and frankly, bigger) reason to look forward to this heating season, now. ;-)

showrguy and bholler like this.
  10. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Welcome to the forum. Maybe you can post your general location, house size and your needs: will the stove be just a backup, or your main source for heating, or the ONLY heating you’d like to have?
    Give us a little infos, everybody here is willing to help.

11. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    He just went from '''Just wait for the house to get cold and then burn tiny loads in shoulder season" to "NEVER AGAIN" ;)

12. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Bholler is great, one of my absolute favorite folks on this forum... but let’s not forget he can be a bit stubborn. ;-)

He’s not going to give you the satisfaction that easily, but I have a feeling he’s going to be a big fan of BK by the end of next season.

Highbeam likes this.
  13. Rickb

Rickb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    St.Louis
    Wonder if he'll give the stove back at the end of the season? :)

14. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Absolutly i am willing to try a princess but it isnt staying. If inlike it i will buy a bk that is not so ugly. I just cant get past the looks.

AlbergSteve likes this.
  15. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    It was nice to finally meet you in person Ben..
    I really enjoyed the BS'ing with your Dad before you made it back, his story's/experiences were very interesting, fun to talk about..
    I now know what and how a Stove Dolly works, pretty cool !!
    I too am looking forward to this coming season and your evaluation of the BK stove..

Now, my next quest is to get Ashfull to install an OAK on his stoves !!
    Once that happens my work here will be done.....lol

bholler likes this.
  16. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Well my 9 year old grandson helped gather some lodge pole up in the Blue's! $5 a cord. The important takeaway here is our dedication to safety! Note he's wearing prerequisite eye protection!

Attached Files:

coutufr, Ashful, tarzan and 1 other person like this.
  17. Petunia

Petunia
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 15, 2018
    Loc:
    Kansas
    I would like to purchase a Blaze King Princess but I live right in the middle of Kansas and the closest dealer is Kansas City, MO. That store just informed me I am outside his dealer region. Does anyone know if I can purchase a Blaze King Princess from an online store?

18. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Thank you. Contact our offices at 509-552-2730. We can help you work with a fireplace shop you have near you.

showrguy likes this.
  19. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    Always workin, very nice to see that Chris.........

20. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I really would like to have OAKs, but having seen the extreme trouble the Verizon crews (yes, plural... they had to send out multiple crews over the course of one very long day) had with drilling a simple 1” hole thru my wall for a fiber, I don’t see it happening. Rubble-filled mud stacked stone walls are best left as they were built, I suspect.

21. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    Think " Stone Mason ", would'nt hurt to talk to a guy ??

I can't think of anybody's situation that would benefit more than yours !!

You could even experiment with temporary OAK's this winter, 4-6" flex duct, run across the floor to a makeshift window adaptor, run it for a week or two, just to see the difference..
    I think you'd be suprised ??

22. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Okay, showrguy... you’ve swayed me. I am in the process of collecting quotes to strip two main walls (you’ve probably seen the photos) of some failing 250 year old stucco, one of which contains the fireplace with one of my stoves. I’ll ask them about this, in the process. I assume a 4” pipe is the requirement?

The issue with my walls is they were built before the discovery of Portland cement, and because lime was so expensive to excavate and transport (by ox cart), the bedding mortar is just mud dug up from the back yard. Quite common for houses of this age, or the few that are still standing. Like most old houses, the walls are an inner and outer face of nice square field stone, with rubble between. They would point or porridge the outside with a sparing amount of lime mortar, to make it weather-tight, as rain water could wash away the bedding mud and cause a wall to collapse.

Any time you try to make a hole thru, you run the risk of shifting or collapse of a good portion of surrounding stone. Not that the whole house would fall, but it can make a real big job out of a real small one, very fast. Without proper lime or Portland bedding mortar, all of that rubble within the walls can shift around a bit, when you open something up.

23. ratsrepus

ratsrepus
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Howell, Mi
    BKVP saves the day again

24. kennyp2339

kennyp2339
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2014
    Loc:
    3"

Ashful likes this.
  25. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    YIPPEE !!

I understand what your walls are like, a stone mason would likely open up a much larger opening than you really need, then replace stone the modern way, till your desired opening, making that area much stronger than before..

I ran 3" flex duct, then insulated it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.