2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First day back at work, loaded the princess this morning at 5am, outside temp was 27deg f, left the blower on low went about my day, just got home outside high temp was 38, inside temp upstairs is 72 only 3/4 of the firebox was burnt through. Very happy with the decision to install a damper.
I bought two today, was able to get better deal on amazon but i got them from the place i buy all my piping, adapter etc. way more expensive but i put it behind me already. I am 0.12 WC on one stove and 0.13 WC on the other. Not bad. Maybe if i have a chance i will put at least one today. at least will be a quick swap.

@kenny,
How tall is your pipe? How many bends (if any) and what degree?
strait shot around 20ft, my issue it that I live on top of a hill, took down a bunch of tree's around the house, I have a lot of natural forcing.

strait shot around 20ft, my issue it that I live on top of a hill, took down a bunch of tree's around the house, I have a lot of natural forcing.
Ok
I see the need for a key damper in your situation. Or should I say, election to tinker with the set up to enhance the performance. I am glad it is working out.

Here have been cold plus two snow storms in a week period. Temps being -3/-2/-1 yesterday was the only day that was +6
Today it dropped again to -2 around 4 am. It was +2 when I took off for work.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190102_070121.jpg
    MVIMG_20190102_070121.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 174
A side question about this. What standard do you test to when testing for installation in a factory built fireplace? How many fireplaces do you test in?
Happy New Year Bholler....

When the wood inserts are tested for approval in approved factory built fireplaces the safety tests done are both portions of UL1482-11 (R2015) and ULCS628-00. The thermo couple locations in both methods are used, with intent of determining high temps in multiple locations.

The UL version uses brands for testing and the ULC uses crib fuel.

You know Bholler, you ought to come visit us here in Walla Walla sometime. We would treat you like a King! (oh wait...you don't like the look of the King, so we'll have to just treat you great!)

Last edited:
I installed a Sirocco 25 today, it wasn’t complete until it had fire going! It burned really nice! I love the big glass!

Reactions: darktower007
Reactions: darktower007
Here have been cold plus two snow storms in a week period. Temps being -3/-2/-1 yesterday was the only day that was +6
Today it dropped again to -2 around 4 am. It was +2 when I took off for work.

We only received a foot or slightly more here as far as snow. Much needed moisure for sure. I'm guessing the same for you as well.

20F for a "high" temp here yesterday. -10F this AM. Pretty cool to be able to run the stove in non-big-black-box mode with flames and no windows open in the house...LOL. We usually can't run much past 2 o'clock on the dial (unless it's oak).

And I'm WAY happy with the cobbled together heating system in the dome greenhouse. (still have tomatoes on the vine) Went to bed with 51.7F and 6F @ 10PM. Up at 5AM....-10F....GH temp 45.6F. Without heat I usually see a 20-25 degree spread. The 55F spread this AM made me smile. Heading out soon to reload. Still not as long of burns as in the house/garage stoves...but she is working really hard out there and suckin in lots of super cold air. (the only stove w/OAK of the 3).

My only regret is that I didn't get a King for this location. The Princess stove was originally destined for inside the Gh but we opted for the shed because I thought it might be too much heat all the time. Another hour or two burn time would have been nice....but no real complaints just the same.

I hope everyone has a prosperous/meaningful 2019. Be safe all.

Reactions: lsucet
Happy New Year Bholler....

When the wood inserts are tested for approval in approved factory built fireplaces the safety tests done are both portions of UL1482-11 (R2015) and ULCS628-00. The thermo couple locations in both methods are used, with intent of determining high temps in multiple locations.

The UL version uses brands for testing and the ULC uses crib fuel.

You know Bholler, you ought to come visit us here in Walla Walla sometime. We would treat you like a King! (oh wait...you don't like the look of the King, so we'll have to just treat you great!)
Does that listing override the ul127 listing for the zero clearance fireplace? What fireplaces are they tested in?

Maybe the 20 series have better results with higher draft, but I have 20ft of class A plus 6 foot of dbl wall and my min setting is great. I have never had any issues of clogging and I wouldnt change a thing on my setup. Im also on the top of a hill.

Does that listing override the ul127 listing for the zero clearance fireplace? What fireplaces are they tested in?
You and I've written of these previously. You should not install a solid fuel heater into a UL127 fireplace that is listed as not having a solid fuel heater installed. And, never modify a UL127 fireplace. As for which fireplace is used in actual test...I'm not certain which unit the test labs use.

You and I've written of these previously. You should not install a solid fuel heater into a UL127 fireplace that is listed as not having a solid fuel heater installed. And, never modify a UL127 fireplace. As for which fireplace is used in actual test...I'm not certain which unit the test labs use.
He’s just looking for a fight. You can’t win, no matter how much testing you do, and how very little testing the ZC fireplace manufacturers do. They don’t test for anything unnecessary and we all know that, why would they? There’s no money in it for them. You test it extensively and no consideration is given by The fireplace police.

How do you install an insert and liner in a ul listed fireplace without modifying it?

He’s just looking for a fight. You can’t win, no matter how much testing you do, and how very little testing the ZC fireplace manufacturers do. They don’t test for anything unnecessary and we know that, why would they? There’s no money in it for them. You test it extensively and and no consideration is given by The fireplace police.
It isn't about winning. It is about making sure customers and installers know what they can do according to the codes and listings. If th insert is tested to work in a specific fireplace and all manufacturers involved approve i see no issue. But none of the stove manufacturers specify anything other than a listed fireplace even though the vast majority clearly don't allow inserts. To me that is irresponsible. Why areayou not concerned with code compliance when it comes to zeroclearance units?

It isn't about winning. It is about making sure customers and installers know what they can do according to the codes and listings. If th insert is tested to work in a specific fireplace and all manufacturers involved approve i see no issue. But none of the stove manufacturers specify anything other than a listed fireplace even though the vast majority clearly don't allow inserts. To me that is irresponsible. Why areayou not concerned with code compliance when it comes to zeroclearance units?
Because I’m aware that these fireplace manufacturers do the absolute minimum testing. They do not and will not test for anything like insert, or doors. They provide pieces of crap doors, that no one wants. Others provide quality doors that have been tested and approved and you won’t accept it. Now a reputable stove manufacturer tests extensively and approves a stove for ZC fireplaces and you won’t accept that either. Do you think for one minute that manufactures like Travis Industries and Blaze King, and most all other major players would put themselves on the line for a small percentage of their sales to ZC installs if they didn’t feel confident in the testing?

Because I’m aware that these fireplace manufacturers do the absolute minimum testing. They do not and will not test for anything like insert, or doors. They provide pieces of crap doors, that no one wants. Others provide quality doors that have been tested and approved and you won’t accept it. Now a reputable stove manufacturer tests extensively and approves a stove for ZC fireplaces and you won’t accept that either. Do you think for one minute that manufactures like Travis Industries and Blaze King, and most all other major players would put themselves on the line for a small percentage of their sales to ZC installs if they didn’t feel confident in the testing?
They aren't putting themselves on the line. They say it must be installed in a listed fireplace. Once you as the installer remove that damper the listing is void. So you are no longer meeting their requirements. They are putting you on the line not themselves.

As far as the doors go you say they are approved. Who are they approved by? What testing is done?

I won't accept things that are not backed up by codes or listings because it is my business on the line if something goes wrong.

They aren't putting themselves on the line. They say it must be installed in a listed fireplace. Once you as the installer remove that damper the listing is void. So you are no longer meeting their requirements. They are putting you on the line not themselves.

As far as the doors go you say they are approved. Who are they approved by? What testing is done?

I won't accept things that are not backed up by codes or listings because it is my business on the line if something goes wrong.
Not putting your business on the line is admirable, but common sense needs to be played at times too.

Highbeam is right. If you are full time burner 3 years can put 12,000 hours on a cat. I am in season 3 right now but season 4 is getting a new cat. Functionally mine is working ok but have noticed I must run the thermostat a little higher and the smoke is taking longer to abate. I would acid wash it but the house would get real cold so I will just deal with it. A good cat cleaning plan for many might be burn two years, acid wash prior to year 3 and New cat at 4. I do like the steel cat very much for a lot of reasons but mainly for its thermal shock resistance. No futzing around trying to cool it off before reloading. Actually I do the opposite. At reload I floor it to get the flue drawing good and the cat ready to eat gobs of smoke.

Not putting your business on the line is admirable, but common sense needs to be played at times too.
Where does it say that in the code book? Because the code book and install manuals are all that I would have on my side in court.

It also is not just my business. It is my customers houses and lives as well. I need to be sure things have been tested properly.

Highbeam is right. If you are full time burner 3 years can put 12,000 hours on a cat. I am in season 3 right now but season 4 is getting a new cat. Functionally mine is working ok but have noticed I must run the thermostat a little higher and the smoke is taking longer to abate. I would acid wash it but the house would get real cold so I will just deal with it. A good cat cleaning plan for many might be burn two years, acid wash prior to year 3 and New cat at 4. I do like the steel cat very much for a lot of reasons but mainly for its thermal shock resistance. No futzing around trying to cool it off before reloading. Actually I do the opposite. At reload I floor it to get the flue drawing good and the cat ready to eat gobs of smoke.
I keep seeing people talk about all their procedures while reloading with a ceramic cat. I’ve never ever done anything special at all, just stuff it full and let the stove do it's thing! I’ve never had a failed cat, and much prefer the ceramic cat after having both.

Reactions: bholler
View attachment 237283
Now we’re cooking! Man I hope my draft isn’t too strong. 22’ flue is one long run.

So I guess I’ll be using bio blocks and partially dry (19%) fire wood for a while until my firewood stock gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19% is fine. The wood doesn’t need to be perfect. I’ve had better luck using less than perfect wood in my cat stove than my non cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.