2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still couldn’t find the thread but someone said BKVP said that it is Ok to burn kiln dried
Small pieces obtained from pallets.
Yes, but that’s different than saying you can fill or nearly fill the stove with it.

Yes, but that’s different than saying you can fill or nearly fill the stove with it.
I think im gona have to try this out, I'll break up a couple pine pallets (no nails or glue) and fit as much in as possible under a bed of coals and see what happens, might be a good reason to have people over for a couple beers.

Reactions: chemie
Well i got about 9 hours and 20 minutes out of those 6 pieces of wood i threw in this morning. Needle is just about to fall out of the zone now. 2 half rounds off what would have been a 6” spruce round, plus 4 pieces of jack pine that had been bucked into 12” pieces. Stove looked pretty empty the whole day with just that in there. Not sure how this burn time would measure up in all of your stoves, but i’m fairly happy with the effort of those wee logs!

Reactions: Poindexter
I think im gona have to try this out, I'll break up a couple pine pallets (no nails or glue) and fit as much in as possible under a bed of coals and see what happens, might be a good reason to have people over for a couple beers.
I put 42 bricks in my princess a few years back. It did awesome!

Guys....,.does fungus on wood clog a combustor? Thanks

Not in my experience. I don’t know how it would really - it will burn up when you’re charring your load. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sounds great!Please keep us posted about how does it go and if you needed to adjust anything.

After a few years on this forum, you usually see nothing but the same questions, over and over again. But this was a new one, for me!

No answer from this corner, I have clogged combustors and have burned wood with some fungus, but I don't think they're related.

Ashful, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask, why is your stove pushed back in to the actual fireplace. It appears that there is room on the hearth in front to put it. I'm sure there is a good reason, so lay it on me

H

Ashful, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask, why is your stove pushed back in to the actual fireplace. It appears that there is room on the hearth in front to put it. I'm sure there is a good reason, so lay it on me
Hmm... good question. Since they fit in the fireplace, I actually never even gave a thought to putting them out front, but I do see a few issues with doing this.

1. Both fireplaces have hearth extensions around 20 inches, which is not nearly enough to install the stove on the hearth extension, completely out of the fireplace. I think the minimum hearth pad size for these stoves is closer to 50 inches.

2. Both fireplaces have wood lintels, so I can’t install them half in/out, as they’d be under the lintel and break the CTC requirement.

3. Both fireplaces have wood mantels, same CTC issue.

4. Putting the stoves out into the room would eat up a ton of space in the room. In the case of our great room, this wouldn’t be a big deal, as the room is enormous. But in my office, it would be a major imposition to push the stove out in front of the fireplace.

With jacketed convective stoves, and with a blower on each one, there really is not a major penalty for having them in the fireplace, and it solves all of the issues above. Plus, I can close the doors on each fireplace in the summer, and hide all of my tools within.

I think you are fine. I asked, I guess my local dealer, about this as a first year burner.

The word I got was anything naturally attached to the tree, fungus, moss, bugs, no problem.

It is the stuff attached to the tree by man you gotta watch out for, paint, glue, nails, etc.

I burn about a gallon of spruce beetles annually, between eggs, larvae and adults, No problem.

So do you think a nail would be a problem? I'm not talking about burning pallets but as I was splitting a tree I recently picked up I did find a few Nails within the whole thing I think I pulled most of them out but you can never be 100% sure, pretty rusted I might add looks like a dark spot in the tree they had been there so long... What's your thoughts bonfire wood or okay for heating season???

Blaze King King Wood Stove

Reactions: rdust
So do you think a nail would be a problem? I'm not talking about burning pallets but as I was splitting a tree I recently picked up I did find a few Nails within the whole thing I think I pulled most of them out but you can never be 100% sure, pretty rusted I might add looks like a dark spot in the tree they had been there so long... What's your thoughts bonfire wood or okay for heating season???

Blaze King King Wood Stove

I am not sure. IIRC there was a pretty good list of cat poisons, on wikipedia, maybe catalytic converter article? Or link from that one? Glue and paint are right out. I want to say some metals are catalytic poisons and some aren't, but i am not sure.

At my house, when in doubt, outdoor fire pit.

Reactions: estepracing
I am ready! The outside temp will just not go down. Tomorrow night I am hoping to break her in...... 3E6695EE-17E9-4FB9-A45D-6ACA10FD2573.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tile on slab. She is honestly not that invasive. Wife likes the look more than the VC. She has no clue in terms of performance.......she likes the name....P

Reactions: webby3650
Fake wood/tile? Without an apparent hearth it really makes the princess tuck out of the way.
I remember when I first did that with my Lopi Cape Cod. People on here freaked out! Everyone thought it was on a wood floor.

Reactions: Ashful
The other side slides. The stove side is fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.