2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
7/8".

Cat gasket is not 7/8” but closer to 2”. It comes on the new cats but firecat also sells it by the foot. It’s like an “accessory “ for the cat so go to their site and find your cat and then look for the gasket material in the little related items area. Takes 3 feet for one cat gasket replacement.

Reactions: Ashful
OOps, I was thinking door!

Reactions: Highbeam
I posted the other day on taking my cat out and cleaning it. Maybe Im crazy, but the stove seems to be working better than before.
Oh, really?? :p ;)

Cat gasket is not 7/8” but closer to 2”. It comes on the new cats but firecat also sells it by the foot. It’s like an “accessory “ for the cat so go to their site and find your cat and then look for the gasket material in the little related items area. Takes 3 feet for one cat gasket replacement.

Thank you very much. Will order several feet.

So anyway I posted the other day on taking my cat out and cleaning it. Maybe Im crazy, but the stove seems to be working better than before.

Depends if you mean its burning better because you did clean it, or just because you talked about it.

Reactions: Ashful
Depends if you mean its burning better because you did clean it, or just because you talked about it.
Since the ash-plugged cat has less effective catalyst surface for the smoke to be distributed over, it doesn't extract heat from the smoke as efficiently because the smoke goes through the open cells more rapidly, and one of the "combustor 3 Ts" is sacrificed.
Seriously? ;)

Since the ash-plugged cat has less effective catalyst surface for the smoke to be distributed over, it doesn't extract heat from the smoke as efficiently because the smoke goes through the open cells more rapidly, and one of the "combustor 3 Ts" is sacrificed.
Seriously? ;)

Right.

But he didn't actually say he cleaned it. He did say he thought about it.

So, it may work on yours or some others 7" systems. I suggest we get vastly more calls complaining their stove won't run on a 7" system. We need to remember not all installs are alike and smoke spillage is not a good thing....even if you like the smell of beef jerky in the morning.
it was a gamble for sure, my former ZC fireplace that was in the spot my alcove now occupies used 7” pipe. So basically all I needed to try it out was a 8-7” adapter and a telescopic double wall to get to the ceiling box. I do have 25’ of flue so I’m sure that helps.

it was a gamble for sure, my former ZC fireplace that was in the spot my alcove now occupies used 7” pipe. So basically all I needed to try it out was a 8-7” adapter and a telescopic double wall to get to the ceiling box. I do have 25’ of flue so I’m sure that helps.

Hey give it a shot.

Thank you very much. Will order several feet.

With the cost of shipping I think I ordered enough for 3 changes last time. :)

With the cost of shipping I think I ordered enough for 3 changes last time. :)

Not sure where you ordered it but the last time I ordered it from firecat i ordered 10 feet and it was free shipping. I ordered more on Wednesday and of course they implemented a minimum order to get free shipping. So needless to say I have 22ft of it coming.

I find it funny that every stove shop around here that services and installs these things do not carry rolls of it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Always something to read in this thread, that's why lurk in the background. Thought I would share a pic of my boile room. The froling is easier to run than a BK. :)
So far im on track to burn about half the wood as I did with my King last year and I'm heating domestic hot water too. :p

Im averaging about 1/2 a face cord per week (1/6th of a full cord).

20181230_173134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Always something to read in this thread, that's why lurk in the background. Thought I would share a pic of my boile room. The froling is easier to run than a BK. :)
So far im on track to burn about half the wood as I did with my King last year and I'm heating domestic hot water too. :p

View attachment 237605
I’ve considered a boiler. In my climate, it would never pay for itself though. I’m not too sure they pay for themselves in a lot of situations... it’s an investment for sure!

Reactions: Marshy and Highbeam
You need ht pipe for a wood stove. Most zeroclearance units use lower temperature chimneys. You need to verify that what you have is useable.

Reactions: Woody Stover

View attachment 237605

A cord every 6 weeks! Holy smokes!

Reactions: Marshy
Not sure where you ordered it but the last time I ordered it from firecat i ordered 10 feet and it was free shipping. I ordered more on Wednesday and of course they implemented a minimum order to get free shipping. So needless to say I have 22ft of it coming.

I find it funny that every stove shop around here that services and installs these things do not carry rolls of it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

It might be smart to stockpile door gasket rope and new gasketed cats. I would do that before hoarding cat gasket material!

It might be smart to stockpile door gasket rope and new gasketed cats. I would do that before hoarding cat gasket material!

Actually am doing just that now. I have a new cat in the lopi and a spare in the shop. Still need to go to the dealer and get a spare for the bk as I can’t find anyone who has them for the 25 online.

I find it easier on the lopi to remove the cat after sweeping the flue to clean out behind it that’s the main reason for the extra cat gasket as that one takes about 44” to do.

Not a bad idea on the rope gaskets though.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Status
Not open for further replies.