2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do them outside before you install the stove!

Agreed! Me and My dad sat outside and did mine in the driveway when it was 70 outside. Neighbors thought I was nuts! But based on how bad it smelled I am super glad I did it outside. lol

had a few fires in the new ashford 30 when I installed it this spring, and had no stink or bad smell at all, now the princess was a different story

I guess I grabbed the short straw when curing myself, I installed the stove during a weather inversion / fog / ice storm, yes filled the entire house with that light haze of blue smoke and gave everything a nice plastic / petroleum smell, I wore the smell like a badge of honor.

I did the break-in fires in my driveway on my last two Jotuls, but the Ashfords were done in the house, since the dealer delivered them right to my hearth. I don’t remember it being much of an event, a little hot metal and mild paint smell, but nothing all that bad. I had one window open in the room with each stove, but that was about it.

Reactions: Highbeam
I guess I grabbed the short straw when curing myself, I installed the stove during a weather inversion / fog / ice storm, yes filled the entire house with that light haze of blue smoke and gave everything a nice plastic / petroleum smell, I wore the smell like a badge of honor.

How honored was your wife?

I think she went to her mothers for dinner and left me and the boys with a 1/2 barrel of miller lite

There was a paint change in the last few years to a high metallic. Maybe the new stuff is stinkier but I burned mine inside for break in and was impressed with how little it smelled. Old flue pipe though.

Beware that you may also have a new flue system baking off fumes too. Those pipes can stink.

Reactions: lsucet and Ashful
9B6C5583-7D8F-4BE1-AFA9-D4A224C54F98.jpeg
Picked this baby up today brand new!! 465 rancher - 63cc displacement on a 20” bar

Reactions: lsucet
Swept the chimney today, had some puff at the top and under the cap.
E631A9BE-BF9A-4916-8D96-FEE47009A270.jpeg

wire brush?
It was very light I hit it with the screwdriver I had with me to remove the cap and it fell right off. Had about a half gallon of flaky black stuff after sweeping 26’ of pipe

View attachment 229234
Picked this baby up today brand new!! 465 rancher - 63cc displacement on a 20” bar

Nice i bought a 450 rancher fron lowes 4 years ago and itd been doing me good. Get yourself some extra sprockets some bars and chains so your ready to go.

Third night in a row with cold start, no hot reloads yet.

Winter, it is coming,

Since doing the tree trimming, has the draft improved at all?

Nice i bought a 450 rancher
Hey Niko, thanks, hows your season shaping up? Your running (2) bk's now right?

Do you guys buy the steel replacement combustors or the ceramic ones? Why? I see Amazon has both. Thanks

lots of different opinions on this subject. After doing my research I stayed with the ceramic ones. Good and bad points of both

Reactions: Highbeam
lots of different opinions on this subject. After doing my research I stayed with the ceramic ones. Good and bad points of both[/QUOT
What are the pros and cons of each? Is one better than another for full/ time upper Midwest burning?

Do you guys buy the steel replacement combustors or the ceramic ones? Why? I see Amazon has both. Thanks
I have one of each, now. Steel has some great benefits, like faster and easier light-off, but it can also clog faster.

Since doing the tree trimming, has the draft improved at all?
Hard to say. I also have a factory new combustor, with the enthusiasm of a new puppy.

I will plan to re-address this idea when I have 1-2 weeks of hot reloads on the combustor. Certainly my draft isn't any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.