2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a sign of an air leak?

View attachment 229281

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Not sure if anybody addressed this yet? I don't know if that is the result of a air leak or not? Certainly looks like something is happening there. Possibly sucking air? Not particularly ideal for keeping exhaust temps up! The only reason I am replying to this is that I had a similar situation. Sometime after installing my stove I happened to have a close look at my connector pipe/stove collar joint in the pitch dark. I could see orange in one spot! I took a length of door glass gasket and wrapped it just above the joint. Its held in place with a stainless clamp. Made me feel better. Not sure it really does much! The aesthetics may not fit everyone's décor;) (think better half)

Reactions: Tegbert
“Trimming” is what you call that? Trimming? :lol
I get so use to that slang term because of work... he did remove the whole thing including the roots, like it was never there.

Not sure if anybody addressed this yet? I don't know if that is the result of a air leak or not? Certainly looks like something is happening there. Possibly sucking air? Not particularly ideal for keeping exhaust temps up! The only reason I am replying to this is that I had a similar situation. Sometime after installing my stove I happened to have a close look at my connector pipe/stove collar joint in the pitch dark. I could see orange in one spot! I took a length of door glass gasket and wrapped it just above the joint. Its held in place with a stainless clamp. Made me feel better. Not sure it really does much! The aesthetics may not fit everyone's décor;) (think better half)

This is on an ashford 25 at the flue adapter to flue extension. I didn’t use any gasket or cement on the joints cause they were a tight fit but it seems not tight enough. Although I had hardly any buildup in the whole run of the flue,except at the top inch about 17’ up at the cap I had a little crusty black layer. Maybe had about 2 cups worth come out of brown dust so it doesn’t seem to be affecting it much but it’s there.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

This is on an ashford 25 at the flue adapter to flue extension. I didn’t use any gasket or cement on the joints cause they were a tight fit but it seems not tight enough. Although I had hardly any buildup in the whole run of the flue,except at the top inch about 17’ up at the cap I had a little crusty black layer. Maybe had about 2 cups worth come out of brown dust so it doesn’t seem to be affecting it much but it’s there.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

These pipe joints will never be perfect. The seam of the pipe is the typical leak point. You can either live with it or try and seal it up with goop of some sort. I chose to not worry about it because I believe the leak is actually very small and does not effect draft significantly.

Pellet fuel pipe with their forced exhaust actually does have seals at every joint and people still have leaks.

better ask BKVP dude that one
We use are using just one black paint for all our units. We did start with it early 2017. Is it German paint, less off gassing and the finish seems to hold a more consistent color across the top surface of the stoves.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25
Congrats on both proper fuel and operation! I have seen as little as 2 cups in my King after a season....

Do you guys buy the steel replacement combustors or the ceramic ones? Why? I see Amazon has both. Thanks

I have used both types and worn out both types. I am now back to ceramic and will stay there. The steel did not give any extra life and performed just as well as the ceramic. Same efficiency, same burntimes, same cloggage(none), and just as durable. In my application I burn 9 months per year mostly at low output and with a 12’ chimney.

The ceramic was original equipment on my princess and the OE manufacturer sells ceramic cats on amazon for a very reasonable price. The steel is much more expensive and I could not justify a single extra penny since I saw no benefit of steel.

For some reason, new cat stoves all seem to use steel. This leads me to think that something, probably the cooler light off temps, results in lower emissions. My chimney was just as dirty with both cat types.

Both are good.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
Princess clearance question..
I'm installing another BK stove, in my garage, looking at the Manuel, it looks like 6" clearance from rear if you have heat shields or fan kit..
Am I reading this right ??

Princess clearance question..
I'm installing another BK stove, in my garage, looking at the Manuel, it looks like 6" clearance from rear if you have heat shields or fan kit..
Am I reading this right ??

I have mine at 6” with fan kit and double wall pipe. Note that you measure that 6” from a weird place.

Yes, you measure from the t-stat. Enclosure..
Will be double wall for sure..
The reason the fan kit can be utilized to reduce clearance in place of a rear heat shield is because the blowers come in a large housing that cover the exposed areas beside the t-stat housing. So essentially the back of the stove is all covered once the blowers are installed.

The reason the fan kit can be utilized to reduce clearance in place of a rear heat shield is because the blowers come in a large housing that cover the exposed areas beside the t-stat housing. So essentially the back of the stove is all covered once the blowers are installed.
That's what I thought, but thanks for the clarification..

Houston I have a cat issue.
Hi all I don't post to often because I don have too many issues that is till now. I moved the Princess out some so I can do a real good cleaning before the heating season. I removed the stove pipe and went to vacuum the fine powdery ash from the top near the by-pass plate and saw that my cat is ruined. I posted some pictures last year of some crumbling I notices in back last year well now it is about 30%-40% destroyed. Here are some pictures the stove was bought new by me in 2015 from a dealer in Bangor Maine. I tried calling them but they have either changed their name or been bought out by someone else. I left a message hoping for a call back Monday but I can stop by. Because to be honest I don't even know if the new people sell stoves or flowers? They said formerly "McVettys" so who knows.

The warranty says the original cat is warrantied for 10 years so we will see I guess. To say I am very unimpressed is a huge understatement. I was really hoping to get at least 7-9 years before I had to get into repairing my new stove. Now before I post pictures I know people might ask a bunch of questions. Yes the door gasket is in good shape and I do a dollar bill test a few time during the season and adjust if need be. Yes the by-pass is adjusted as well the dollar bill pulls through but with some real resistance. The wood is seasoned 2 years and split into 1/4s at least and some time 1/6s moisture content between 11% and 14%.
DSCF0947.JPG DSCF0955.JPG DSCF0958.JPG DSCF0959.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sure the dealer will find a way to make it your fault, not sure what the average life span is, but I bought a spare for the princess just in case. Shopping around for one for the ashford.

Jeff. The cat is under warranty. Give BK support a call on Monday after noon your time (9am PDT) or contact them via the web form stating you have a warranty issue with the cat.
509-522-2730
http://www.blazeking.com/EN/contactus.php

Last edited:
Begreen Really?
That would be a much better route I think. I don't want to get all upset with a dealer refusing a claim,...that is if they do refuse it that is. Your idea sounds like just what I need to do. Thanks

That CAT did not get that way under proper operation and fuel source, sorry !!

I am hoping that will not be the case I just would like a no hassle replacement cat. I did a lot of research before I bought this stove I just hope for the best I guess.

I am fairly sure that if you have your purchase receipt the mfr will honor the warranty even if your dealer is out of business. I guess I don't know that, but I would be surprised if they didn't.

That's a ceramic combustor isn't it? It is not a failure mode I have seen before, no help from me there.

Thermal shock can destroy a cat. Did some wood get put in the stove that was frozen solid, maybe with some ice on it, coming directly from outdoors?

FYI looks like the nearest BK shop in ME is:

Smith & May, Inc

674 West Street West Rockport
Maine 04865 US

Telephone: 207-236-9444

Email: [email protected]

The cat has a lifespan of about 10,000 hrs. For some folks that is 2.5yrs of 24/7 heating. For others it could be 6 or more years. It depends on the heating season length and how often the stove is used.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thermal shock can destroy a cat. Did some wood get put in the stove that was frozen solid, maybe with some ice on it, coming directly from outdoors?

FYI looks like the nearest BK shop in ME is:

Smith & May, Inc

674 West Street West Rockport
Maine 04865 US

Telephone: 207-236-9444

Email: [email protected]

No my wood is stored in my enclosed wood shed attached to the house for months before using it. The firewood for this coming winter has been in under cover now for over a year. I never have any wood go into the stove that has not been staged beside the stove in my kitchen for several days first. I bring into the house a weeks worth of wood all at once the replenish every Sunday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.