2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20181116_192712_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@SuperJ nailed it. BK can’t suggest, endorse, or sell a catalyst different from the one with which the stove was certified, but we can do whatever the hell we want with it, as end users.
Let me clarify this topic. Prior to the 2015 NSPS, AD138 (EPA's Applicable Determination) permitted a cat supplier to have their cat tested in the "reference stove", which was Princess 1002. If the emissions were less than or equal to the original certification values of the PEJ1002, you could manufacture and sell that cat to ANY stove company. AD138 expired with new NSPS. A new ruling allows manufacturers of cat equipped units to test a second cat at the same time the original certification tests are conducted on a stove. If the low and high burns are +/- .5 gr/hr of the original test results, the second cat can be used as a "suitable replacement " cat. Most cat stove manufacturers are now doing this. The reason is quite simple. If all your cats come from just a single supplier and they go belly up....you're toast because you cannot retest, obtain certification and bring to market a new model in less than almost a year. Just a CYA move.

Reactions: Ryan723 and Ashful
Let me clarify this topic. Prior to the 2015 NSPS, AD138 (EPA's Applicable Determination) permitted a cat supplier to have their cat tested in the "reference stove", which was Princess 1002. If the emissions were less than or equal to the original certification values of the PEJ1002, you could manufacture and sell that cat to ANY stove company. AD138 expired with new NSPS. A new ruling allows manufacturers of cat equipped units to test a second cat at the same time the original certification tests are conducted on a stove. If the low and high burns are +/- .5 gr/hr of the original test results, the second cat can be used as a "suitable replacement " cat. Most cat stove manufacturers are now doing this. The reason is quite simple. If all your cats come from just a single supplier and they go belly up....you're toast because you cannot retest, obtain certification and bring to market a new model in less than almost a year. Just a CYA move.

The second cat, is that from a different manufacturer or is it a different type (steel/ceramic) or both?

I’m glad at least one forum member can report success with a ceramic cat in a 30 box.

Out of curiosity, how does Woodstock no longer offer a ceramic cat for the Fireview? It was originally brought to market with one, only steel is available now. I had to order a ceramic cat from another source, because the steel cats are always back ordered...

I've called or emailed every dealer within 200 miles of me for a King couldn't even find one to look at. I was going to drive 100 miles to look at a princess and place an order tomorrow. When I find an email in my trash and a dealer 50 miles away has what I want. I jumped on it and trying to make arrangements to pick it up in the morning. Now I have no idea yet how I'm going to get it in the house but one step at a time I guess.
I was doing a reno at the time I moved mine in and didn't have the deck on - backed the truck in and it lined up with the floor height! I used ratcheting cargo straps and strapped two 2x4's to the top - think old fashioned hand barrow. Two of us managed to shuffle it in to place like that. If you've got stairs, enlist three of your best friends, promise to ply them with beer and food after they get the stove in place

I was doing a reno at the time I moved mine in and didn't have the deck on - backed the truck in and it lined up with the floor height! I used ratcheting cargo straps and strapped two 2x4's to the top - think old fashioned hand barrow. Two of us managed to shuffle it in to place like that. If you've got stairs, enlist three of your best friends, promise to ply them with beer and food after they get the stove in place
We only charge a few hundred bucks to take one in/down/up stairs and hook it up. Small price to pay to save a buddies back... With the proper equipment it’s not too bad.

Out of curiosity, how does Woodstock no longer offer a ceramic cat for the Fireview? It was originally brought to market with one, only steel is available now. I had to order a ceramic cat from another source, because the steel cats are always back ordered...
I suspect it was certified prior to the new rule. Keep in mind, NSPS, New Source Performance Standards, only apply to new sources.

The second cat, is that from a different manufacturer or is it a different type (steel/ceramic) or both?

I’m glad at least one forum member can report success with a ceramic cat in a 30 box.
Two stainless combustors from two different suppliers. It wouldn't do any good to certify from the same manufacturer if they went belly up.

seems to be run on certain BK models at the moment. i put a deposit on a King 2 weeks ago and when i checked in with the dealer they said the factory couldn't fill the order 'til December. if you're in a hurry for a stove, you might want to check on availability.
Yes sir. We have had a tough time keeping up production to meet demand. We added more shifts and employees, just a bit longer and we will catch up. Unfortunately as others have posted, dealers may have sold of display models.

Hi All,

I'm still having more smoke issues than I am comfortable with on my new princess. I can't help but worry about excessive creasote as well as not getting maximum efficiency out of the stove.

I am getting a good amount of smoke pretty much 24/7 unless the load is reduced to a bed of coals. I've checked the gasket on the combustor and the bypass. Both look good. The bypass almost passes the dollar bill test all the way around and I've heard that's not even necessary. My wood reads about 15% moisture on the inside when I split a piece open. And that's with multiple meters.

What I find most odd is there's no visible difference in amount or appearance of smoke when I open or close the bypass. And it's definitely too thick and slow dissipating to be steam.

I can't figure out what it could be.

Hi All,

I'm still having more smoke issues than I am comfortable with on my new princess. I can't help but worry about excessive creasote as well as not getting maximum efficiency out of the stove.

I am getting a good amount of smoke pretty much 24/7 unless the load is reduced to a bed of coals. I've checked the gasket on the combustor and the bypass. Both look good. The bypass almost passes the dollar bill test all the way around and I've heard that's not even necessary. My wood reads about 15% moisture on the inside when I split a piece open. And that's with multiple meters.

What I find most odd is there's no visible difference in amount or appearance of smoke when I open or close the bypass. And it's definitely too thick and slow dissipating to be steam.

I can't figure out what it could be.

Ensure you're closing the bypass all the way. It cams over, ker-clunk. If it closes softly, you haven't closed it.

Sounds like you've already checked that the bypass door is closing and sealing properly.

Last up is to see if the cat is dead. Put in a new split or three, crank up the thermostat to medium, wait 15 minutes, and peer inside to see if the cat is glowing. If not, turn it up more.

It does not need to be glowing to be working, but when you have a medium thermostat fire going and it's glowing, you know the cat is not dead.

Smoke is not necessarily a sign that something is wrong, either. Sometimes there's just too much for the cat to keep up with.

Ensure you're closing the bypass all the way. It cams over, ker-clunk. If it closes softly, you haven't closed it.

Sounds like you've already checked that the bypass door is closing and sealing properly.

Last up is to see if the cat is dead. Put in a new split or three, crank up the thermostat to medium, wait 15 minutes, and peer inside to see if the cat is glowing. If not, turn it up more.

It does not need to be glowing to be working, but when you have a medium thermostat fire going and it's glowing, you know the cat is not dead.

Smoke is not necessarily a sign that something is wrong, either. Sometimes there's just too much for the cat to keep up with.

The cat definitely glows. Around medium? Usually it does.

I was thinking maybe it was just because my splits are too small but I would think if it was just too much smoke for the cat there would at least be more smoke if I opened the bypass midway through tbe burn but it's the same.

Also, I'm noticing the cat glows pretty bright in the beginning but eventually stops glowing at together. Maybe only an hour or two into the burn. But the cat temp is still at the high end. Is this normal?

Sorry for the never ending questions but it's hard to wrap my head around exactly what's going on in the stove. Like how it can be working without glowing.

Either way I'm definitely loving the stove. The house is heated more evenly than with my old stove and I it's actually still going when I get home from work. Now if I could just the right fans.

Also, I'm noticing the cat glows pretty bright in the beginning but eventually stops glowing at together. Maybe only an hour or two into the burn. But the cat temp is still at the high end. Is this normal?

Sorry for the never ending questions but it's hard to wrap my head around exactly what's going on in the stove. Like how it can be working without glowing.

Either way I'm definitely loving the stove. The house is heated more evenly than with my old stove and I it's actually still going when I get home from work. Now if I could just the right fans.
Did you checked the splits after inside at least 24 hrs at room temperature? Small splits will out gas more for sure. Try bigger splits if possible. What is the color of the smoke?

Hello,

Just started using my new Chinook 30 full time and very impressed so far.

I've been keeping the thermostat down around 1 the last few nights and the house is comfortable. It's a little warmer out tonight so the house is a little on the warm side (good complaint). How far back is it ok to turn the thermostat? It will go a good ways ccw past 1 but most info I find just says 1-2-3 nd nothing about that low. Thanks

Hello,

I've been keeping the thermostat down around 1 the last few nights and the house is comfortable. It's a little warmer out tonight so the house is a little on the warm side (good complaint). How far back is it ok to turn the thermostat? It will go a good ways ccw past 1 but most info I find just says 1-2-3 nd nothing about that low. Thanks
It is trials and errors. Next time try just a hair lower and see if the cat doesn't stall. Depending on setups, draft, etc, can be possible or not to ride the hole but you're around the low point. Around 1 is okay but is different for everybody. Just try.

As isucet said there are a lot of variables like chimney height and wood type and wood dryness. Mine runs turn all the way down 80% of the time with no stall, but I have a pretty tall chimney with a OAK.

Hello,

On my Ashford the dial goes to 12 oclock . But the lowest useful setting is between 2 and 3 o'clock. 6 o'clock is max . It's useful to get it up to temp in the active zone but not too hot. Slowly close it and listen for the clink . That's the thermostatic air control hitting the full closed position. You don't want set it too far past full closed. Since it will have to be able to open at the end of the burn or you'll end up with unburnt fuel or stalling the cat.

There a bunch of factors. If I don't load it right up I can't turn it as low, or if the wood is poor quality you'll need to maintain a higher setting .

On my Ashford the dial goes to 12 oclock . But the lowest useful setting is between 2 and 3 o'clock. 6 o'clock is max . It's useful to get it up to temp in the active zone but not too hot. Slowly close it and listen for the clink . That's the thermostatic air control hitting the full closed position. You don't want set it too far past full closed. Since it will have to be able to open at the end of the burn or you'll end up with unburnt fuel or stalling the cat.

There a bunch of factors. If I don't load it right up I can't turn it as low, or if the wood is poor quality you'll need to maintain a higher setting .

Thanks for the reply, good info. I've heard that clink before and it's good to know exactly what it is. 1 seems to be the optimal setting just now, cat is still newish and the wood is not so great. Might be totally different situation in a month or so when things settle in.
I've been burning constantly now for about 5 days with just reloading off the remaining coals so i'm starting to get a bit of a feel for it. Sounds like I have a similar set up to rickb as well

Did you checked the splits after inside at least 24 hrs at room temperature? Small splits will out gas more for sure. Try bigger splits if possible. What is the color of the smoke?

Yes the splits we're inside for about 2-3 days actually. I'll try bigger splits but I've got a lot of small stuff left over from the old stove.

The smoke is a light grey.

Reactions: lsucet
I get light grey smoke from my Princess sometimes as well. Not every burn though, same wood same burning practice. Cat glowing red. Cat probe at 1 o’clock. Brand new stove.

I stopped paying attention.....so much for clean emissions....keep the brush handy!

Reactions: rdust and MissMac
Status
Not open for further replies.