$650 for a tri axle load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
This is in eastern CT. A logging outfit from Mass is doing work in the state forest. He wants $650 a triaxle load of hardwood delivered to my house which is 5 Minutes away. He says he's getting $800 in Mass. Is this a reasonable price for a truck load of green wood in eastern CT?
I'm pretty well set for this year and money is tight. If this is the going rate I'll wait until spring when I have more cash (and time).

Thanks

It's all relative to where you are, if you can't get a better price then that's what you have to go with. But yeah it does seem high to me.

the wood price's up here range from 160.00 to 190.00 per cord delivered.
for the most part this pile is all red oak,with the load being unloaded is mixed hardwood.
what a rollercoaster ride it is being in the firewood business
augoakforum2008.jpg

Log lengths delivered here are starting at around $100/ cord. $600 and up for a truck load. Last i had heard many were asking $130-140/ cord.........

$700 here for 7-8 cord of truck-length mixed hardwoods.

Greg H said:
He want $650 a triaxle load
How many cord would that be? The self-unloader that delivers hardwood to me carries 12 cord and that runs me $1140 or $95 a cord.

He gave me an estimate of 6 to 8 cords. The dimensions he gave me were 6 x 7 x 24 which is 7.875 cords. Allowing for the exaggeration factor I'm going to call it 6 1/2 cords so $100 per cord (funny how that works out). I caught up with him on my way back from hunting and the dimensions look about right.
What I'm trying to determine is, for my neck of the wood is this great price that I should grab or is it an average price that will still be there in the spring. Cash is tight, if its a deal I'll raid the emergency fund to stock up., otherwise I'll wait.

Here's a comparison. His price is pretty steady (I've seen it in Craigslist over several months)

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mat/953308697.html

I think the guy you're talking to is giving you a decent offer but not something so good you can't afford to miss it.

I just dropped by my local sawmill and ordered up a load of log length for $350. Last load when split and stacked came out to 4.7 cord and cost $320.

At $350 that would be about $75/cord.

All red oak.

That sawmill was just hoppin' this morning, they were strippin' logs, sawin' boards, trucks runnin' in and out, woodstove fired up in the office, man I love that place :)

Status
Not open for further replies.