A few updates in regards to wood stoves and me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
Central NY
Since the last time I was actively posting, Fireside Chatts took on the Blaze King line of wood stoves. Just to offer an opinion from the retailer side..

In regards to performance, I have only sold and used the Chinook model. Everyone who has bought one seems to love them. Even though there is a 30 hour + burn time claimed, I have yet to be able to do it without the cat temp dropping too low.

18-24 hours is very easy to do. Thats 20 or so hours on one load of wood, convection fans on medium (pretty quiet) and nice steady heat. 20 hours after loading to have real hot air blowing into the room with a good bed of coals is very satisfying.

Easy to use and I think worth every penny. I havent been with them long enough to experience longevity, servicing etc but so far I am a believer.

Love those stoves.

It is due to the comments on Hearth.com that I decided to give a cat stove a try. Seems like I got some sound advice.

Thanks!

Good to hear, a Chinook may be in my future.
What do you consider "too low" for the cat temp?
Do you think running the fans on low or off would make a difference on length of burn?
What has been the feedback on ash pan vs. no ash pan? Any problems with the door and bypass handles? (Others have reported some glitches.)

Basically when the probe needle is below the active range (and I can go outside and see smoke!)

I havent noticed a difference in convection air speed impacting the burn time.

The ash pan is nifty. Very cool design. Worth the money? I'd say so if I was already spending over $3k for a stove. Zero glitches on any components yet, but only put 2 face cords thru it.

Hey thanks, sounds good.
The smaller Chinook 20 is also coming out; if proportional, might expect to see burns in 12-16 hr timeframe.

Franks,

Good to hear your endeavor into BK was worth it; I wondered how that was working out this winter.
I have only sold and used the Chinook model. Everyone who has bought one seems to love them.
I'm surprised not one person opted for a Princess or King. Maybe next year you can hook up a King for the showroom? Then you can wow your customers with that 30 hour burn time... Yes, really. This whole heating season I have been on 24 - 28 hour cycles between filling. I turn the air full open, rake the massive firebox coal load forward after 24 hours or so and the stovetop will get to around 500 for a few hours, each and every day. I am surprised that more people don't have them, until I remember the price. Even so, I consider it my best house investment ever.

Franks said:
Since the last time I was actively posting, Fireside Chatts took on the Blaze King line of wood stoves. Just to offer an opinion from the retailer side..

In regards to performance, I have only sold and used the Chinook model. Everyone who has bought one seems to love them. Even though there is a 30 hour + burn time claimed, I have yet to be able to do it without the cat temp dropping too low.

18-24 hours is very easy to do. Thats 20 or so hours on one load of wood, convection fans on medium (pretty quiet) and nice steady heat. 20 hours after loading to have real hot air blowing into the room with a good bed of coals is very satisfying.

Easy to use and I think worth every penny. I havent been with them long enough to experience longevity, servicing etc but so far I am a believer.

Love those stoves.

It is due to the comments on Hearth.com that I decided to give a cat stove a try. Seems like I got some sound advice.

Thanks!

Could you post some photos of the Chinook? There are along one or two available from BK and one owner here posted his. Kind of hard to see how it looks and how big it is from what is available online.

For the cost difference, everyone has opted for the style of the Chinook. The King I have in the warehouse and just cant bring myself to bring it into the showroom yet. I need to clear out some space first. If I was ever going to put a wood stove in the house, it would be a King in my basement.

BAR, I'll try to snap a few tonight and post them if I dont get fed up with the resizing thingie. I may even light a fire first.

Ok, not sure how the photos will line up with the captions, so I'll just do it in a few posts. The first two show the buildup on the glass from the last attempt at a 30 hour burn. Creosote starts at the lower corners and builds towards the center and upwards. The glass normally will be about 1/2 clean and will clean itself with a brisk 1 hour burn.

It also shows the nifty slide out ashpan (filled to the brim!)

Attachments

• BKchinook 001.jpg
    BKchinook 001.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 876
  • BKchinook 002.jpg
    BKchinook 002.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 913
A shot of the firebox and my method of choice for easy starting of seasoned splits. 2 of those little firestarter squares from Meeco.

Attachments

• BKchinook 003.jpg
    BKchinook 003.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 865
  • BKchinook 005.jpg
    BKchinook 005.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 856
Wedge those starters into the ash, a split on either side a split on top.

Attachments

• BKchinook 006.jpg
    BKchinook 006.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 860
  • BKchinook 007.jpg
    BKchinook 007.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 854
Come back 20-25 minutes later, it looks like this

Attachments

• BKchinook2 001.jpg
    BKchinook2 001.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 856
  • BKchinook2 002.jpg
    BKchinook2 002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 830
Franks said:
Come back 20-25 minutes later, it looks like this

You blurred the full external shot out of spite, didn't you! :lol:

Seriously, though, thank you for taking the time to post the images and the added detail about the stove.

Now I fill up with splits and check on the probe. Bypass damper open, combustion air open.

Attachments

• BKchinook2 003.jpg
    BKchinook2 003.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 827
  • BKchinook2 004.jpg
    BKchinook2 004.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 847
  • BKchinook2 005.jpg
    BKchinook2 005.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 840
**sigh** So much brains, so little looks. Sorry Frank, I just can't adjust my likes enough to have that in my living room. Man, how I wish BK would come out with a cast "looker".

Let the splits catch and the probe to move up a little, then shut the main damper, air still on high.

Attachments

• BKchinook 011.jpg
    BKchinook 011.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 823
  • BKchinook 012.jpg
    BKchinook 012.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 840
Cut the air down to setting 3..wait 15 minutes, shut down to setting 1.5 or so and I dont have to touch it until closing time tomorrow!

Attachments

• BKchinook3 001.jpg
    BKchinook3 001.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 815
  • BKchinook3 002.jpg
    BKchinook3 002.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 825
Some other shots to show the scale of the stove, flanked by a Shelburne and a Mansfield.

Attachments

• BKchinook 009.jpg
    BKchinook 009.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 817
  • BKchinook 010.jpg
    BKchinook 010.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 795
Man, that side view do not help defend itself from Jags comments, that's for sure. There is an all black option, right?

It was also look a lot better with stove legs.

It could look like Oprah on stilts and I would still install one in my home, just based on the performance. If I want to see something good looking, I stare at my wife.

They could make a 4CF cast iron beast though and have a winner. I'm sure they are thinking about it.

BrowningBAR said:
Man, that side view do not help defend itself from Jags comments, that's for sure.

Don't take me wrong - I really like the stove from an engineering point. I think it is a fantastic design, internally, but if I brought that home and told SWMBO that I was gonna put that in the living room, it wouldn't be pretty.

Franks said:
They could make a 4CF cast iron beast though and have a winner.

Hey - I got a thought. We just got the attention of BK's VP on another thread with a member posting a pic of his wife in front of a BK stove. Maybe you could do that with your wife and we can start up a cast stove conversation with him??? :cheese:

Jags said:
BrowningBAR said:
Man, that side view do not help defend itself from Jags comments, that's for sure.

Don't take me wrong - I really like the stove from an engineering point. I think it is a fantastic design, internally, but if I brought that home and told SWMBO that I was gonna put that in the living room, it wouldn't be pretty.

If I could find one use, or if my budget was larger, I would have a hard time passing up a princess or a Chinook for the walk in fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.