A few updates in regards to wood stoves and me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Franks said:
It could look like Oprah on stilts and I would still install one in my home, just based on the performance. If I want to see something good looking, I stare at my wife.

They could make a 4CF cast iron beast though and have a winner. I'm sure they are thinking about it.

To be fair, I've never liked the platform base that the Chinook uses on other stoves as well (Morso, Jotul, etc). But, the other stoves do not offer 20 hour burns.

Jags said:
Franks said:
They could make a 4CF cast iron beast though and have a winner.

Hey - I got a thought. We just got the attention of BK's VP on another thread with a member posting a pic of his wife in front of a BK stove. Maybe you could do that with your wife and we can start up a cast stove conversation with him??? :cheese:

Good gravy, if I posted pics of my wife..lots of things will be "at attention"

When I got in at 6:30 this AM, still cooking nice, wood load has about 40% left

Franks,

From the looks of your glass door
and the residue on your firebox fire bricks,
I'm not sure any chest thumping on your part
is a good recommendation for that wood burning
stove or your technique.

Simply put, it's not getting hot enough.

Aye,
Marty
PS: No comment about anyone's wife.

Marty S said:
Franks,

stove or your technique.

Aye,
Marty

Its a Blaze King..... Low and Slow. Low and Slow. Nuff said

I wouldn't mistake documenting an experience with chest thumping. But you would, it appears.

Simply put, a clean chimney, a smokeless burn and steady 800-1000 degree probe temps says it's working as planned.

As I mentioned before, there were some times where I closed the bypass too early going for the 30 hour plus burns. One of those times were right before I took those photos.

Now if I was a good pirate, I would have scrubbed the stove spotless to try to fool the folks on this site, aye?

The ash can is for trolling...not here.

Marty S said:
Too many "cooks in the kitchen"?

Huh,
Marty

Marty - this is a common occurrence with the BK stoves. It has been reported on by many OTHER users. This is a different beast. The glass can be all cruddy, the fire brick nasty and nary a wisp of smoke up the stack. The first hot burn cleans it all up again. These stoves are DESIGNED to smolder. Hence the nasty window.

Jags said:
**sigh** So much brains, so little looks.
I think the curved-sides option looks better...

Franks said:
You do, huh? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I am not above swapping them out.

Gawd yes, do something to help the ugly duckling out.

Jags said:
Marty S said:

Huh,
Marty

Marty - this is a common occurrence with the BK stoves. It has been reported on by many OTHER users. This is a different beast. The glass can be all cruddy, the fire brick nasty and nary a wisp of smoke up the stack. The first hot burn cleans it all up again. These stoves are DESIGNED to smolder. Hence the nasty window.

Oh, No.
I don't buy that.
That's like 'designing' a car to get 2 mpg
in today's market, but you get a tax rebate
if you buy it.
It makes no sense.

Ugh,
Marty

Marty S said:
It makes no sense.

Ugh,
Marty

Actually it does - AS LONG as the stove can consume the volatiles prior to entering the pipe. And this stove does that.

Marty S said:
Franks,

stove or your technique.

Aye,
Marty

I disagree.

Marty S said:
Jags said:
Marty S said:

Huh,
Marty

Oh, No.
I don't buy that.
That's like 'designing' a car to get 2 mpg
in today's market, but you get a tax rebate
if you buy it.
It makes no sense.

Ugh,
Marty

It does make sense. It's how the cat works. The cat is, essentially, eating smoke.

You mean like the 2 mpg car
that clouds the windshield and
fills the inside of itself with smoke
but has a crystal exhaust?

Without a 'cat', how does a Blaze King
have a clean chimney if the firebox is
like Franks and also is the hottest place
in the stove?

This Blaze King should be renamed
Blaze Joker.

Aye,
Marty

1. The 2mpg car analogy is a poor analogy. If the Blaze King was getting 2 hour burns and dirty glass, maybe it would be a better analogy.
2. Nothing wrong with not liking a certain stove. But, the whole cat debate has been redone a million times. The information is out there. If it isn't your cup a tea, nothing wrong with that.

Marty S said:
You mean like the 2 mpg car
that clouds the windshield and
fills the inside of itself with smoke
but has a crystal exhaust?

Without a 'cat', how does a Blaze King
have a clean chimney if the firebox is
like Franks and also is the hottest place
in the stove?

This Blaze King should be renamed
Blaze Joker.

Aye,
Marty

What they did was design a stove that burns 20 hours with steady heat and a clean chimney. Also, the firebox is not the hottest part of the stove in a cat stove...but there I go chest thumping my poor technique again!

Posting opinion is one thing, posting
Marty S said:
stove or your technique.

While not understanding the operation, design and technology behind the piece of equipment is another. As said, this is a bit different beasty.

A proper burning Blaze King (16-30 hr Burn Times), is the equivalent of getting 150 miles to the gallon.

They are one of the most preferred stoves in Alaska (Cold climate) because they can burn so long and produce great heat.

The firsbox is smoldering. The Cat is whats glowing and providing most heat for the convection deck.
A simple search here will reveal a lot of Blaze King owners that are very Happy. Many of which owned several stoves up until the purchase of there BK....

It makes no sense.

It would if you used one for a winter.

My neighbor burns hers with just enough air for a little flame at all times; her glass is amazingly clean. Allowing enough air to maintain flame adds enough wash to the glass to keep it very clean. She told me she hadn't cleaned it since before Christmas. No picture, you'll just have to take my word for it, oui?

Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with a BK
as I also am with Bigfoot and other
'popular' sensations.

Hearing embellished stories of "how
wonderful" this metal wood smoker is
makes me wonder why more haven't
been sold and why isn't the word out
on this marvelous stove.

Could it be that the claims fall short of
their mark as do sightings of Bigfoot
and UFOs?

Or, since much applause seems to be