• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Username

Jul 22, 2019
Hudson Valley, NY
My Lopi 1750 is on the way. i had to take out my old hearth pad and stone that was on the wall and put down some tiles etc. I was about to fix up the wall where the wall stone used to be and found brittle drywall. I’ll be replacing the bad area, but I’m pretty freaked out by what I found. It looked like it was only a few degrees from ignition. Paper on the drywall was dark brown and.... it was alarming.

So although I’ll be meeting the reduced clearance requirements per the manual by using dvt pipe, I think I want to put up a air gap/heat shield wall for peace of mind.

I can’t find anything that gives me what the dimensions should be, or need to be for the wall other than it needs a 1” gap and non-combustible.

Does anyone have a link to some info about it?

Sounds like it's good that you discovered the issue. This is not uncommon. People mistakenly think that a tiled wall provides additional protection. It doesn't unless there is a way to thermally break the high temp on the wall behind the stove and the nearest combustible. One needs to be aware that the paper on drywall is combustible.

There are several ways to make a properly shielded wall. At the core is a 1" air gap behind the non-combustible shield and open at the bottom and top with a 1" gap from the hearth pad. In this case you already have clearances taken care of so for visual symmetry, maybe just make it the width of the hearth?

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/#post-1987380

Sounds like it's good that you discovered the issue. This is not uncommon. People mistakenly think that a tiled wall provides additional protection. It doesn't unless there is a way to thermally break the high temp on the wall behind the stove and the nearest combustible. One needs to be aware that the paper on drywall is combustible.

There are several ways to make a properly shielded wall. At the core is a 1" air gap behind the non-combustible shield and open at the bottom and top with a 1" gap from the hearth pad. In this case you already have clearances taken care of so for visual symmetry, maybe just make it the width of the hearth?

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/#post-1987380

Thank you for the reply and link. I think I’m going to go as small as possible to keep heat away from what was the problem area. It was, and will be again, a corner installation. The wall damage was right around where the top corners of the stove was. My fingers poked right through the wall without much pressure. It firms up as i move further away from that area. 6” away I can put finger prints about 1/8 deep with moderate pressure . 10” away small dents with pretty stiff pressure. 12” or so it feels pretty normal.
Thanks again.