Alderlea T5, Selkirk Chimney, stovepipe middle - a question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hilarym

Feb 11, 2023
mantioba
Hi there,
Newbie here. The old stovepipe installation in my cabin failed the recent WETT inspection.
Alderlea T5 woodstove below, a Selkirk chimney above, and a stovepipe in the middle -- that I don't quite understand.
Single-walled pipe, 6", with an elbow turn, going up to ceiling support black round 'hat' thing then into chimney.

WETT inspector said the connections from the stove to the pipe, and again from the pipe to the chimney, were not compliant.

Ordered a stove pipe adapter for the top, but unsure what connection is needed from stove itself to stove pipe.
Can someone let me know what is needed?
It is hard to find accurate information online with diagrams on what is needed, and what brands comply with Selkirk chimney.
Is Imperial ok? Or does the stovepipe have to be Selkirk as well? And SuperVent for an adapter, is good, but not Duravent?
Why is this such a maze to figure out?
Many thanks.

Normally nothing else is needed at the flue collar. Did the inspector supply more details about the non-compliance? Without some more details it's a guess. Could it have been that the pipe was not screwed to the flue collar on the stove?

Thanks for responding.
I re-read his letter and yes, I don't think the stovepipe is screwed to the flue collar properly.
I wasn't sure if there was a missing part, a rim or something, or it just gets put right on, and screwed in, and that is it.
Great if the pipe meets the stove directly, and that's it. Thanks.

I think the stovepipe has to be replaced, because he's calling it non-compliant with the Selkirk chimney.
But what brand of pipe is compliant? Everything has a different name.

Pictures of your set up might help. Here is one of a Metalbestos, company name changed to Selkirk, chimney to single wall stove pipe adapter that I am pretty sure I used in my old garage. (When I sold I had to pull the stove, chimney and patch the roof for the buyer‘s insurance co. on the rightfully frowned on installation.)

74A27795-9F6A-46E6-8AC8-494B51A1CF67.jpeg

Hi again,
Here is my set-up:
full.JPEG

no stove pipe adapter at the top:
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 9.20.53 PM.png

and not screwed in at the stove's collar:
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 9.20.44 PM.png

the inspector doesn't like a portion of the stovepipe itself, calling it non-complaint:
it has a bit of sticker at the back of it, but unable to figure out what brand or how it's been modified.
I guess I need a new stove pipe so the whole system installs correctly and screws into each part properly.
Are single-pipes still allowed? The clearance area for the corner seems to have passed.

this was stated:

nonCompliant.png

So I'm guessing the shorter top part is this : https://icc-rsf.com/chimney/residential/ultrablack/
and the longer section is something that was modified, and is a no-no.
(The cabin owners inherited this set-up from someone else, and I'm their renter).
It's up to us to fix it.
Many thanks for the help.

1676309845430.png

The inspector’s statement is confusing. It looks like the connection between the chimney and single wall may not be be with an adaptor or with a mismatched one. Is it just a short section of pipe stuffed in? What is the undefined stuff in the picture? Looks like it could be insulation? Taking it apart should tell you what you have . Calling the inspector for clarification could help. No, while double wall pipe has advantages single wall pipe of sufficient gauge is allowed. If I were the owner I’d be glad you are getting things inspected.

The stove pipe set-up seems to be a bit pieced together with various bits... not sure why.
We inherited this set-up, and yes, it'll be good to get it safe and compliant.

Maybe two long bits and elbows for top and middle (with the stove pipe adapter at the top, of course) is the best solution?
Inspector notes that one bit of pipe is ICC double-walled, but he doesn't say which bit it is; maybe the one with the sticker on it?
I don't know. I don't remember what it all looked like when it was down and cleaned.

MEASURED-HM.JPG

We inherited this set-up, and yes, it'll be good to get it safe and compliant.

3.jpeg

The stove pipe all seems to be fine. Inspector does not like the way the pipe is attached to the chimney.

Without the stove pipe adapter, he thinks a single-walled bit of crimped pipe is in there, connecting the stove pipe to the liner of the chimeny pipe.

So he wants anything in there to be removed, the stove pipe adapter installed, and the full stove pipe put back... and it should be fine.

I don't know why it took so much confusion for him to pinpoint EXACTLY what he was referring to.

The stovepipe brand is not the issue, however, the stovepipe needs the proper starter at the support box. Also, due to the elbow coming right off of the chimney support, the clearance of the pipe to the ceiling may be too close up there. If any point is closer than 18" it is a code violation and needs to be addressed.