Almost time for actual firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I hate to waste wood so I collect all my shorts, uglies, and other firewood unsuitable for stacking each year and it goes into the shop stove first. Even the Christmas tree goes in.

It’s not as nice as firewood but it works. This is my last load of the 2021/2022 season so after this we’re burning the good stuff!

6CEE6128-3C35-4C31-A5D2-F051DAE9F121.jpeg

I do the same. Top of the stacks, and when full, an ugly pile in the garage. Need to get me some chain link because it falls over too often...

I know you people on finishing up your uglies are chomping at the bit to burn the good stuff. lol Hope it snows...Today was about 75 degrees here and full sun...clancey

This is the first year in over 10 years I have no uglies!
I can't say I miss them, they are hard to dry and store but I still would not waste them.

Top of piles are uglies here, too.

I use the uglies for fire pit fuel. It hurts to use good wood for wasteful methods but the wife loves it.

So do we. A single wheelbarrow is plenty for a reasonable night with just the family. Bigger circle means bigger fire. I am surrounded by tall grass pastures so it gets dangerously dry in the summer.F9B391DB-52A0-4F23-8BE6-20DA883DA1A7.jpeg

I’m stuck using this thing occasionally which is pretty great because nobody stinks like a campfire, no burning eyes, and instant on/off.
B59E0F02-C13E-4A2F-80AF-BC06BE5387E1.jpeg

Last edited:
My problem this year is that all of the uglies are hardwood. Boy does it make a lot of ash as compared to doug fir.

Still have 3 seasoned bins full to burn through. Don't know if I will get through them all this fall. Loading stove with regular splits for overnight.

Reactions: rottiman
This milder than normal Fall has been fantastic for me in terms of burning up my punks, chunks and uglies.

Reactions: Dix
I'm still working through short pieces and thin slab pieces. The weather has been remarkably mild this year.

Reactions: clancey
I leave my shorties and uglies in the woods to dry then they go to the fire pit.

This milder than normal Fall has been fantastic for me in terms of burning up my punks, chunks and uglies.
Around here it seems all the recent Falls have been milder than normal, its almost to be expected now.

I burn the uglies fall / spring. Also when I'm home on the weekends. They are awesome to get the stove running from a cold start, and add to the evenings coal bed.

They take care of the heat needed while I'm out running errands, cleaning stalls, etc.

Power went out at 8:30am but I didn't start a fire. It was 60º out and very windy. The house was at 68º and stayed there so we just put on sweaters. Around noon the front blew through and temps started dropping. I started a fire at 50 and it's now 44F. Still burning a very odd assortment of wood, but heat's heat. Power came back on around 4pm, so now we are warm and happy.

Power went out at 8:30am but I didn't start a fire. It was 60º out and very windy. The house was at 68º and stayed there so we just put on sweaters. Around noon the front blew through and temps started dropping. I started a fire at 50 and it's now 44F. Still burning a very odd assortment of wood, but heat's heat. Power came back on around 4pm, so now we are warm and happy.

We got power back just before 7pm, after I got the generator all hooked up and running on propane.

We got power back just before 7pm, after I got the generator all hooked up and running on propane.
LOL, same here. I started it up around 2pm, expecting it to be around midnight for the power to come back on.

all my uglies get burnt in the fireplace while watching the pats play ball. just hate using good splits in there. the once i tried a 20 inch piece of a standing dead elm to see if it would burn or steam and it had a huge yellow jacket in it and flew all around the house after he warmed up. yesterday. i care because if i get stung it's a trip to the hospital.

I do the same. Top of the stacks, and when full, an ugly pile in the garage. Need to get me some chain link because it falls over too often...
get an IBC tote cage - works perfect!

Reactions: stoveliker