And we're off - season 10 first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I was surprised to see 41º on the thermometer this morning. The heat pump was running when I got up, but I decided to start a fire and burn out the cobwebs. The cat immediately got what was happening and promptly parked himself in front of the stove. He hasn't moved since. This is season 10 for the T6. There is a nice 3 log fire burning with a stove top at 500º, flue temp at 400º(p). Living room temp is 71º. I'll probably let it burn out over the day.

first-fire.jpg

Very nice. i was reminded that last year on this day I had a fire. of course, today it is back up to 80º

I'd rather your weather, but we have definitely shifted gears here into fall. The house has the slight aroma of burned off dust from the stove. Cat finally moved to cool down for about 15 minutes, but has returned to the same spot now.

I was surprised to see 41º on the thermometer this morning. The heat pump was running when I got up, but I decided to start a fire and burn out the cobwebs. The cat immediately got what was happening and promptly parked himself in front of the stove. He hasn't moved since. This is season 10 for the T6. There is a nice 3 log fire burning with a stove top at 500º, flue temp at 400º(p). Living room temp is 71º. I'll probably let it burn out over the day.

View attachment 230194
I still need to get the permanent block off plate installed, sweep the liner, repoint the stone wall that the chimney is on, insulate and air seal the space immediately above the stove insert (goes straight up to the attic), re-hang and insulate around the two doors in the stove room, get my permanent hearth installed in front of the stove, insulate the attic, including a seal above the walk-up stairs, build a woodshed,... And, horror, all the wood is damp from the wettest September I've ever seen.

On the plus side, we have about 20 cords cut, split and stacked, and another 5 to 10, or so ready to be processed in the woods, lots of trees seem to be dying around here, I think it's the wilt.

I'm a bit south of BG but up in the foothills of Rainier. We had 31 this morning. Fire still running from 6 o'clock the night before burning red cedar.

It felt good to get some colder weather. Snow in the passes too!

I was thinking of you this morning. Thought you might be seeing the first frost.

It doesn't take long for the critters to find their place in front of the stove. We had a fire going the last two evenings and several of the critters were plopped down in front of the stove.

Reactions: begreen
I was thinking of you this morning. Thought you might be seeing the first frost.

We had white roofs already once this year but this was a harder frost. Really foggy too. One coworker had ice on the windshield.

Good thing we pulled the pumpkins out over the weekend!

Attachments

• C01D08F8-2FDD-40BB-B6CC-42223B6C0E9E.jpeg
    C01D08F8-2FDD-40BB-B6CC-42223B6C0E9E.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 97
We've had a few frosty mornings but usually warmed up nicely later in the day. But I had to break down & fire up the boiler last week to heat my storage up & take the chill off. Did it again yesterday. Earliest I've ever burned, I think. Just waiting for the mini-split guy to come back & get that project going...

Our Blaze King Ashford 25 finally arrived!
Outside is 71 degrees and around the same temperature for the next seven days so no near day of starting our first fire.
Thanks for everyone for their inputs.
We really like how it looks in our movie/reading room.
I have one question regarding the installation. Since above the fireplace is not evenly installed stone, there is a small gap at the top of the insert. It is not visible from across but only when you get to the unit and look from above.
Should I be concerned about it? Would it affect efficiency of the unit?
View attachment 230211View attachment 230212

I would get some silicone that is close in color to your stone mortar and fill the gap. Temps shouldn't be very high there.

Reactions: chemie

View attachment 230194

Thats crazy it was 90 here today. I am very done with summer. lol

36° at my house outside Arlington when I was up at 3am. My neighbor said there was frost just down the hill when he went to work.

I only got to use my new stove for 3 months this year. Can't wait for a full season with it. Nothing better!

A friend that worked on the North Cascades bridge project with me last week reported that the bridge had an inch and a half of snow on it today. It held up fine. :)

Reactions: blacktail

View attachment 230194

Wow!
Ten years already....!

Here on southern Vancouver Island we had our first fire last night too. It somehow makes the effort of cutting, stacking and storing the wood worthwhile.