Another free load of Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
My tree guy came by and dumped another load. My wife tried to give him some money for it - but he refused it.

A big trunk section. I had to cut it with my 20 inch bar and then sledge and wedge it, along with the SPUD bar. It was no match.

Good straight grain easy splitting oak. I think theres 3+ cords in this load. I am now 3-4 yrs up. Never thought I'd get this far ahead!

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• 101_0617.jpg
    101_0617.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 860
  • 101_0618.jpg
    101_0618.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 849
  • 101_0624.jpg
    101_0624.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 857
I don't know about 3 cords, but damn nice score.

KC

Now that's a friend!

My tree guy said I could use his Big Saw with a 4 ft bar, but I knocked it out!

A guy I cut a BL out of his yard after the hurricane called me and has 5 more trees the oct snow took down. I have NEVER been into this much wood! He said it can wait for me!

Took 2 Alieve..... feeling no pain.

Attachments

• 101_0622.jpg
    101_0622.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 833
  • 101_0619.jpg
    101_0619.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 856
Yeah - 3 might be somewhat high, but after I cut the branches - it was 2 truck loads, and the trunk was cut and split 2 truck loads. I still have 18 rounds to split - seems like alot of wood!

Awesome
Too much wood???
Never ;)
High BTU stuff too.
Feel Spoiled or over worked ? :)

Nice... Yes, its nice to be that far ahead of the game.

Great looking wood. It looks like you could work at splitting those big rounds for an hour each and end up with 50 splits each.

NICE, looks like great solid wood

all the wood stacked on the pallets was hand split since october. Two of the 3 piles were also hand split. The pile closest to the shed is shagbark and needed a splitter. The Oak splits like a champ. The one stack closest to the woods - I did in 4 hours and could have gone all day. That Fiskars makes easy work of this stuff.

basswidow said:
My tree guy came by and dumped another load. My wife tried to give him some money for it - but he refused it.

A big trunk section. I had to cut it with my 20 inch bar and then sledge and wedge it, along with the SPUD bar. It was no match.

Good straight grain easy splitting oak. I think theres 3+ cords in this load. I am now 3-4 yrs up. Never thought I'd get this far ahead!

Enjoy the pics!

Nice score on the Oak, how many times did you have to sharpen the chain?

zap

I wish I had your luck. Real nice. Getting all that stuff free and delivered really takes the work out of it ( to some degree). Cool and good for you.

HOLY CRAP !!!!....thats some big wood....awesome!!

Very, very nice . . . I have yet to burn oak myself . . . but am looking forward to it next year.

basswidow, keep on and you might get enough wood on hand to top Solar.....but that will be difficult. Nice wood you have too that will warm your home for many days.

Very nice! It is amazing how many splits you get out of those big rounds. Almost nothing better than splitting monster oak rounds like that. It seems like all you have to do is wave the Fiskers over them and split themselves. I have been up to my armpits in Black Locust lately, but I can't wait to get some Red Oak.

Flatbed - you are so right. Last time - I pie cut each round into 6 pieces with a sledge and wedge and then went at it with the fiskars. This time, I just used the sledge and wedge to bust them in half only and then used the fiskars..... saves a few swings of the sledge. I was busting big slices with the fiskar.... EASY swings!

Zap, I'm running a yellow Stihl RSC - I think full chisel. I only filed it once or twice at refuel. It didn't dull too bad on me. I think I am really getting the hand filing down..... all it takes is a good FRESH file and two strokes per tooth! Saw was throwing good big chips. I think this wood is so green - it was easy cutting and not too dulling on the chains. Had it been dead oak - another story. The smell of oak sap is an aquired taste. Some of it stinks really bad.

A couple of those longer pieces would have been fun to mill!

Everyone said - make a table out of the trunk, but I opted to make splits! Yeah, both loads he's brought to me had some excellent looking wood for making boards. A shame to cut into and split, but I don't have a mill and don't have a need for the boards. What length do most make boards and what kind of price do they bring? I know walnut and cherry fetch a good price. Any others?

I asked my tree guy what type of Oak this was. He said he thought it was pin oak, but admitted that he is not an arborist and he's not good at tree ID. So far he's brought me two sweet loads of Oak. Feeling spoiled and blessed. How is it that a tree guy doesn't know tree ID's?

Definitely is not pin oak.

I don't know my oaks.... but split, it looks no different then the first load he brought me. Any guess as to what type of Oak it is? I can post a close up later. Sure stinks.

That's some fun stuff to split. No knots, no crotch, just straight grained oak. If you wait till it freezes it will pop right open. For me that's the easiest/best part of the harvest.

The smell/bark would tell me red oak, but with that size round I'd only be guessing. The white oak I have around here smells like heavenly-scented vanilla flavored whisky barrels all ashen colored and white on the bark, while the red/swamp oak is akin to vommit with sharp leaves.

I've heard of some big oak, limbless logs go for $$thousands to veneer plants.
Don't know how to research it though.

I worked for a family owned tree service company during the summer when i was in high school, just a ground grunt, but some of those climbers/limbers are very skilled. I've been to the tree climbers competition a few years in a row and its amazing what those guys can do with a couple bean bags, small ropes and cleats- i can tell the differences between red oaks and whites but there are a few sub species in them even, the guy i worked fore explained it to me that red oak leaves have sharp edged leaf points (like an Indian's arrow) and white oak had rounded leaf points (like a white man's bullet). The guy i worked doesn't cut many trees anymore, he had a band-saw mill and cut a bunch of 3 inch slab wood outta the big oaks he cut down for the past 20yrs and does custom bar installs with it now, pays more and he says he's not sore at the end of the day anymore! theres no doubt white oak has a sweeter smell to it but after splitting countless cords of red oak i have to admit i miss the smell! We would always get free red oak for fire wood because they're more prone to fall down when they get bigger, the base of the trunks wood rot out making them almost hollow sometime, we'd get our wood after hurricane season, and burn it the same year! My dad is still doing this, he refuses to listen to me when i bring it up, i sent him a moisture meter for x-mas because i know he won't be able to resist using a new gadget.

basswidow said:
I don't know my oaks.... but split, it looks no different then the first load he brought me. Any guess as to what type of Oak it is? I can post a close up later. Sure stinks.

Maybe its Skunk, I cut Red, White, and Chesnut Oak and none of those stink

Status
Not open for further replies.