Another free load of Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great wood! Looks like you have the space for all this wood. I'm on a city lot, so I've got to be creative where to "hide" the wood.

Pin oak is a type of red oak, and it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference when it's just cut up rounds. If your tree guy was there when the tree was cut, then he should have no excuse (unless hen was a new groundie). The silhouette/form of the tree, branch pattern, acorns, and leaves on the ground (this time of year) should be easily distinguishable form northern red oak (and many other red oaks).

In my experience, pin oak (Quercus palustris) tends to have the "manure" stink more often than northern red oak. Around here, tree services will have pin oak in their trucks more often than other oaks because it's a more common landscaping/yard/municipal planting.

Thats cool to find out, i got to be pretty good with a biltmore stick in FFA but the tree ID was never my forte, didn't know the pin oak had a stronger smell.I lived in Virginia, Wonder what the Variety of red oak we cut most of the time was, pretty sure it was the same variety we got every time, almost always natural growth-probably whatever the most common natural variety is down there. Tree pointer- do you find a lot of red oaks in penn with rotted bases up there? I'm sure we saw a disportionate number of the rotted ones because they were probably more prone to fall during wind/hurricane storms

In my experience, oaks have a strong odor, but pin oak is not necessarily stronger smelling. What I was trying to state is that there is a certain odor that SOMETIMES appears in oaks that smells to me like a cow pasture, and its associated with disease/decay.

I lived for a while in the DC Metro area and noticed that a lot of people in VA call a certain tree "pin oak" when it actually is a willow oak. Although we don't have it in western PA, this oak seemed to be everywhere in northern VA. It's found through the coastal areas, Piedmont, and deep South. Of course, there were other white and red oaks to be found, but that's my experience in that region.

Oaks are pretty healthy here (in my local multi-county area), and I haven't noticed much of any oak wilt. There most common blowdowns seem to be black cherry, American elm (DED), and bigtooth Aspen.

Interesting, probably why i associated the strong odor with red oak, every one we got was rotted, at the base at least, all very old trees too the few times we counted for fun i don't think was ever below 80 yrs. Maybe the wilt is more common in the warmer climates

basswidow said:
My tree guy said I could use his Big Saw with a 4 ft bar, but I knocked it out!

A guy I cut a BL out of his yard after the hurricane called me and has 5 more trees the oct snow took down. I have NEVER been into this much wood! He said it can wait for me!

Took 2 Alieve..... feeling no pain.

great score bw. and a great resource. no...a fantastic resource.

even tho he won't take anything for it, be sure to slip something in his visor when he's not looking. gift certificate to the local hardware store, etc.

btw - is that your supervisor in the background? i can feel the wheels turning.

OT

onetracker said:
btw - is that your supervisor in the background? i can feel the wheels turning.

OT

Good catch. Yes, that's Shelby, my chocolate lab. She's at my side inside and out.

I was tossing logs out of the truck earlier in the year and she made the mistake of sneaking in to grab one when I didn't see her. She thinks I am throwing them for her and she likes to think she's helping. The next log was already air born when I noticed she was in it's path. I yeld at her to no avail. The log hit her square in the head and darn near crossed her eyes. All it took was once, and now she stays back outside the perimeter and watches. I was reluctant to have a dog again. My wife was right, Shelby is part of the family and about the best dog anyone could ask for. She keeps the kids safe from bears when they play in the yard and like it or not, she's my conjoined twin. When I head for the truck, she's thru the door and into the seat quicker than you can blink. I guess we'll keep her.

In this pic, she's just waiting for some smaller splits she can grab and run off with!

BTW, this oak doesn't smell too horrific, I'm guessing it's all red oak or some sub species. IT does have a red color to it, much like cherry. You can see it in the one trunk pic. It smells more than my usual wood (Cherry, Ash, BL). As I bucked it, the thought of me cutting up $ 500 - $ 1000 in oak boards did cross my mind, but again, I don't know much about what mills look for.

I have cut red oak that smelled worse than Fromunda cheese.

The red oak up here smells like pizz when green very sweet when drying almost no smell when ready to burn.

richg said:
OK, I'll set you up on this one. Remember, you owe me one!

Fromunda cheese... I'm not familiar with that kind. ;-) I'm guessing it's fragrant?! :ahhh:

jdinspector said:
richg said:
OK, I'll set you up on this one. Remember, you owe me one!

Fromunda cheese... I'm not familiar with that kind. ;-) I'm guessing it's fragrant?! :ahhh:

It's the cheese that comes Fromunda your toenails.

Love the smell of fresh cut and split red oak. Brings back memories of cutting wood with dad and grandpa when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.