Any tips on installing the tadpole door gasket on a Quadrafire Castile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jonkman

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2015
West Michigan
Hi all. Just looking for some tips on how to install the gasket so the top corners don’t bunch up and get too thick, then the seal isn’t good. When it came from the factory it had perfect corners, and I cant get it right. Also curious what tape to use on the cut ends? They use tape in this video and I can’t find anything like it (its not foil tape, seems like cloth). This is the video I reference for the installation. His corners seem as bad as mine so I’m looking for any additional tips. ;)

The corners always bunch on me and never cause a sealing issue. Quadrafires are not very tight stoves anyway. The tape is for the ends and comes with the gasket. I’ve bought extra of that tape from HHT but have never found it elsewhere. Enjoy!

I’m sure I’m just being too picky. You bought the tape from HHT? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Last time I did mine, I used 3 separate pieces butted up tight against each other. Time to do mine again...

Hi all. Just looking for some tips on how to install the gasket so the top corners don’t bunch up and get too thick, then the seal isn’t good. When it came from the factory it had perfect corners, and I cant get it right. Also curious what tape to use on the cut ends? They use tape in this video and I can’t find anything like it (its not foil tape, seems like cloth). This is the video I reference for the installation. His corners seem as bad as mine so I’m looking for any additional tips. ;)

I replaced the door gasket on my quadra fire santa fe insert myself last spring.
I'm not familiar with your model but it I'll say that wasn't super easy.
Here are some tips:

Wear a mask.
I took my door off and set everything up on a big towel on the floor.
My stove's hardware is black and it's hard to see a lot of the small details. I use this lamp for ALL things pellet stove:
I had to take off the gasket twice as they were bunching up in the corners.
I made a short slash on one side of the gasket in the corners so they would "give" a little more room.
The door was a bit hard to close but after a week or so, it "smushed " in.
Santa fe has these annoying rods that are hard to pop back in again over the gasket. That part is ideally a 2 person job. I used a rubber mallet and some cursing. Santa fe's are 3 sides only for he gasket.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: kappel15
Those rods are the devil!
I replaced the door gasket on my quadra fire santa fe insert myself last spring.
I'm not familiar with your model but it I'll say that wasn't super easy.
Here are some tips:

Wear a mask.
I took my door off and set everything up on a big towel on the floor.
My stove's hardware is black and it's hard to see a lot of the small details. I use this lamp for ALL things pellet stove:
I had to take off the gasket twice as they were bunching up in the corners.
I made a short slash on one side of the gasket in the corners so they would "give" a little more room.
The door was a bit hard to close but after a week or so, it "smushed " in.
Santa fe has these annoying rods that are hard to pop back in again over the gasket. That part is ideally a 2 person job. I used a rubber mallet and some cursing. Santa fe's are 3 sides only for he gasket.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: kappel15