Big Stumps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
These are some of my log drops from last year:

81486174_10156888399142849_8636392737844756480_n.jpg20200512_153443.jpg20200615_151757.jpg

Every drop had at least a couple of 2ft dia or larger logs

Reactions: mcdougy
Nice, I'm thinking those are big ash, cherry and spruce/pine?

Yup! The tree service, usually, takes into account what kinds of logs I'm looking for. I love ash and birch the best so I always ask for those, followed by locust. Whatever they give me beyond that is just a bonus. The funny thing is, all these drop offs occurred before I came into 4+ cords of burr oak courtesy of a guy on the next street over who had to get his massive tree in the backyard taken down (was getting caught in city power lines). The city came and took the tree down for free which was great, and I helped him and 3 other neighbors remove all the wood from their yards. None of them were wood burners :)

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of my biggest score from 5-6 years ago. Friend had a big red oak taken down in the woods behind her house, maybe 150 ft from her back deck. She said when it hit the ground the whole house shook. The butt end was even with my belly button and I'm 6'. Had to split the rounds into 8'ths at the bottom end, then 4'ers to be able to move them out to my truck, luckily red oak is such a straight and easy split, and it was branchless for the first 40 ft or so. She just gave me a standing trunk shagbark hickory that the top broke off 30-35 ft up in a windstorm that's maybe 20-22" at the base, gonna fell that beast when we get a bit of a warm spell in a couple weeks.

Here are some of the big boys from my processing this year. Nothing insane but I'm running an 18" saw by myself so some of these 20"+ x 12' hardwood logs are serious business!

20210124_140526.jpg
20210122_153718.jpg
20210120_142637.jpg
20210121_141508.jpg
20210120_163123.jpg

De-barked Ponderosa Pine.

Attachments

• 100_1540.JPG
    100_1540.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: Zombie and mcdougy
Had (2) 25-ton dump truck loads dropped off for free. Wasn't specific about max size. Got a few massive logs, this one took the cake. 9 foot long, 4 foot wide sugar maple. Probably weighed 3000 lbs? Had to cut into about 40 "rounds". Had to drive a wedge in and then a tow strap to actually flip the son of a gun.

Attachments

• 0607201421.jpg
    0607201421.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 0529201210.jpg
    0529201210.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: Zombie and mcdougy
That's some damn creative chainsaw-ing. I never would have thought to noodle a cross pattern in giant logs like that. Very cool. That must have taken for-f-ing-ever to finish!

This was a Honey Locust round from one of my early scrounge .. No more rounds bigger then 28" for me now.

View attachment 274360

I agree with your stance on no more rounds that are probably larger than my saw could handle!! From here on out, I will ask the tree companies to keep things under 2' dia and anything larger in diameter I'm not interested. You can still split logs plenty big for the overnight burns and sub zero days even with smaller diameter stuff.

This was a Honey Locust round from one of my early scrounge .. No more rounds bigger then 28" for me now.

View attachment 274360

Wow... what's that like 48"? I'm not even sure a 25 ton could split that right side where it looks a little knotted.

Like you I ask the tree guys to keep it reasonable. I ask for 24" or below and for the most part they are good. I'll get the ocassional 28-30" but that's fine. For me it's really the weight and difficulty moving it than the cutting.

I'm not even sure a 25 ton could split that

I used my electric super splitter. Lucky for me I have a great staging area with the splitter table at ground level . It still was a beast to wrestle into position but the Super-Splitter got-err -done!

2021-02-12 18_02_41-Photos.png

I will try and get a good pic of a monster oak stump I've yet to tackle this weekend....where are the pics from these monster chainsaws I read about guys having?

Here are a couple of little nugets...
20161126_131142.jpg
20161111_102657.jpg
For reference that is a 5 ton John deere running gear.

Here is the biggest Oak I have ever tackled....took me a few days...lol...5ft across the base...made my 660 look like a toy.

YHokUMeh.jpg

BkMYmihh.jpg

Last edited:
Holy smokes! How much wood do you think that is once c/s/s?

Holy smokes! How much wood do you think that is once c/s/s?
TBD.....with the sacrificial trees that were taken out when it fell I'm guessing 4-5 cords. The ash tree itself might be around 4 cord??? I'm tracking my gas on this one to see how much the processing costs vs the fuel/heat for the house. The fiskars is going to get alot of swings, and the little 8' elevation hill causes some more work too....I still love this work regardless.

TBD.....with the sacrificial trees that were taken out when it fell I'm guessing 4-5 cords. The ash tree itself might be around 4 cord??? I'm tracking my gas on this one to see how much the processing costs vs the fuel/heat for the house. The fiskars is going to get alot of swings, and the little 8' elevation hill causes some more work too....I still love this work regardless.
Hmm I'd imagine that'd gonna be somewhere in the 5-10 takes of saw gas range. So a few gallons? Then whatever vehicle to haul it. Just don't think about time/$ it's a labor of love.

This is why I do log length delivery. Sure I'm paying $50-$100 a cord but skipping the transportation loading/unloading body wear and tear and fuel costs. But if I had a 4 cord tree fall and someone wanted to give it to me you bet your ass I'd be there...

In 4 months when I'm healed up lol