Blaze King Ashford is up and running!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my....you tossed them? Any chance you can "toss" one in my direction if I pay shipping (wink wink)? I'll take a fugly looking enamel just as an entrance fee into the BK world! Heck, I'd drive from Massachusetts to WA and back just to grab one out of your dumpster!

Just sayin.....

So Boston to Walla Walla is about 2800 miles each way. 5,600 miles in your truck, at best 25 mpg, means 224 gallons at $3.29 average = $700+ is gas. 3 nights in hotels each way = $600.00 plus your milage will drop too once we load you up! You better think about this a bit more....but you are always welcome....I'll buy the first round. The second rounds on you.

So Boston to Walla Walla is about 2800 miles each way. 5,600 miles in your truck, at best 25 mpg, means 224 gallons at $3.29 average = $700+ is gas. 3 nights in hotels each way = $600.00 plus your milage will drop too once we load you up! You better think about this a bit more....but you are always welcome....I'll buy the first round. The second rounds on you.

Hey now, I'm in Bellingham. Would definitely make the trip to Walla Walla for one of those dumpster beauties. :)

Hey I've got first dibs! Maybe I could rent a Prius and strap it to the roof for the ride home? :)

But seriously. If you've got a bunch sitting in the back corner of the warehouse that make you sad every time you walk by them.....I'd be willing to help you out and make one disappear for you! Shipping 500lbs across country might be a better option now that I think of it. But wait, you said you'd buy a round of beer! Hmmmm.

I hate to burst your bubble here, but has anyone stopped to think about how the stove is made? The Enameled Iron is a facade, they aren't actually throwing perfectly good Sirocco 30's in the trash. Just the Enameled Iron parts.
That being said, I like brown enamel enough that I would be OK with less than perfect.;)

I hate to burst your bubble here, but has anyone stopped to think about how the stove is made? The Enameled Iron is a facade, they aren't actually throwing perfectly good Sirocco 30's in the trash. Just the Enameled Iron parts.
That being said, I like brown enamel enough that I would be OK with less than perfect.;)
Seriously. Throw them up on the website at a discounted price and watch them disappear quickly.

Stop bursting my bubble! This is the closest I've ever been to having a BK! ;)

But if I can find one in a dumpster 3000 miles away...why bother?!?!? You must have an old BK or 4 laying around in your basement webby, feel like getting rid of some stock to clear room for a new one?

But if I can find one in a dumpster 3000 miles away...why bother?!?!? You must have an old BK or 4 laying around in your basement webby, feel like getting rid of some stock to clear room for a new one?
Only 1 BK around here. Sorry.

-30 overnight? Really? It hasn't hit anywhere near -30 air temperature in NY state in many many many many many years.

This morning's conditions are shown below. Two people observed -34::F on their car thermometers on way in to work.
Still, the awful truth persists for the non-believers: I filled the King very full last night at 9:00 with hard maple, oak, and hickory; 72 in house this morning, didn't fill or adjust the stove, and will fill it again tonight . Yes, even in this weather (which occurs maybe once in a lifetime according to some)...

21 Jan 14 Weather.jpg

My son drove through Tug Hill around midnight last night....watched the temp drop from 8F in Syracuse to -24 F in Watertown. And it continues o get colder after midnight, especially the way temps were dropping last night. I am SURE it has been 30 below in that area when we have been that cold up here. Happens.

Hey I've got first dibs! Maybe I could rent a Prius and strap it to the roof for the ride home? :)

But seriously. If you've got a bunch sitting in the back corner of the warehouse that make you sad every time you walk by them.....I'd be willing to help you out and make one disappear for you! Shipping 500lbs across country might be a better option now that I think of it. But wait, you said you'd buy a round of beer! Hmmmm.

Hey, I got an idea...bring back two and we'll split the gas, you can pass by here on your way home :D

Just worked hard and signed on a few new dealers. BK coming to the showroom near you!! GM...funny!

By looking at that avi, you should have scheduled your trip for the third week in August. ;)

This morning's conditions are shown below. Two people observed -34::F on their car thermometers on way in to work.
Still, the awful truth persists for the non-believers: I filled the King very full last night at 9:00 with hard maple, oak, and hickory; 72 in house this morning, didn't fill or adjust the stove, and will fill it again tonight . Yes, even in this weather (which occurs maybe once in a lifetime according to some)...

Funny how you conveniently left out the rest of the details, like this is the FIRST TIME SINCE 1970! Now, go back and READ closely what I said, and stop embarrassing yourself. I never said it doesn't happen. I said it is not a normal occurrence. You were posting as if it is -20 on a regular basis, and the fact is, it hasn't in 40 years. Get over it already. And so you don't feel so special, there have been record lows recorded all over the north east. Mine station included.

Ps- I'm a professional weather observer for NOAA and have a professional weather station on my roof.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Another-Record-Low-Temperature-Reported-In-Watertown-241523611.html

Quote from the link:
For the third day in a row, the temperature at the Watertown International Airport has hit a record low.

The National Weather Service reports the thermometer dropped to -33 degrees Wednesday.

The previous low of -32 degrees was reported in 1970.

The record is unofficial at this time because Wednesday's temperature could go lower before the day is through.

On Tuesday, the airport low was -33 degrees, which shattered the 2009 record low of - 26 degrees.

On Monday, a temperature of -21 degrees was reported at the airport, breaking the 2009 record low of - 18 degrees.

In addition, the NWS has issued a wind chill warning from 10 p.m. Thursday to noon Friday for Jefferson and Lewis counties.

The NWS says the wind could make it feel as low as -40 degrees.

Dangerously cold wind chills can result in frostbite and hypothermia in even a short time for anyone outside without the proper clothing.

The record cold weather is expected to break by Friday.

Funny how you conveniently left out the rest of the details, like this is the FIRST TIME SINCE 1970! Now, go back and READ closely what I said, and stop embarrassing yourself. I never said it doesn't happen. I said it is not a normal occurrence. You were posting as if it is -20 on a regular basis, and the fact is, it hasn't in 40 years. Get over it already. And so you don't feel so special, there have been record lows recorded all over the north east. Mine station included.

Ps- I'm a professional weather observer for NOAA and have a professional weather station on my roof.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Another-Record-Low-Temperature-Reported-In-Watertown-241523611.html

Quote from the link:
For the third day in a row, the temperature at the Watertown International Airport has hit a record low.

The National Weather Service reports the thermometer dropped to -33 degrees Wednesday.

The previous low of -32 degrees was reported in 1970.

The record is unofficial at this time because Wednesday's temperature could go lower before the day is through.

On Tuesday, the airport low was -33 degrees, which shattered the 2009 record low of - 26 degrees.

On Monday, a temperature of -21 degrees was reported at the airport, breaking the 2009 record low of - 18 degrees.

In addition, the NWS has issued a wind chill warning from 10 p.m. Thursday to noon Friday for Jefferson and Lewis counties.

The NWS says the wind could make it feel as low as -40 degrees.

Dangerously cold wind chills can result in frostbite and hypothermia in even a short time for anyone outside without the proper clothing.

The record cold weather is expected to break by Friday.

LOL

Reactions: jeff_t and sticks
You were posting as if it is -20 on a regular basis,
Maybe it's just me but I didn't get that from his post. I think he's just proud of his stove,

That was my thought too. But it's no big deal. I share this so that Machria will perhaps know he/she need not feel bad. It's so normal to misunderstand each other. We all do it. I'm a collaborative divorce attorney and mediator who sees it every day. I'm also a husband who frequently misunderstands with his wife. Sometimes she finds it aggravating. She always forgives me. :cool:

enough squabbling. back to ashford stuff.

last night at 10:30 i put 8 bio bricks in along with several hunks of nice oak over a nice bed of hot coals. got it hot, re-engaged cat, then began dialing it back to a little below 2, maybe 1.8, 1.9 for the night. cat temp was at 12:00, cast top was at 400, stack temp was 350. it was putting out a nice amount of heat. went to bed. woke up at 330. heat had kicked on. went to stove. cat temps still in active zone, maybe 10:00 position, cast top was 250 and stack was 275. fire box was still 1/2 full with a hot glowing mass of bio bricks and coals, but i noticed 90% of what was left in there was in the back half of the stove.

ok, so what shoudl i have done at this point? i needed heat.

i put 3 oak pieces in the front, closed it, and turned it up a hair. at 7 it looked like it did at 3, front of fire box empty, back full of hot fuel. some biobricks still visisble this am.

i need that heat to stick around longer.

Funny how you conveniently left out the rest of the details, like this is the FIRST TIME SINCE 1970!

It's the first time since 1970 on THIS specific calendar day (22Jan), not EVERY day since 1970. Come on, man... As a trained weather observer you surely realize this, right?

Long ago in this thread I was just attempting to correct what I perceived as an incorrect statement and provided some supporting data; so did some others. You did not accept it well, and the argument ensued. Anyway, I'll speak of it no more. Sorry for the continued back and forth to all who have read this, it does detract from the intended theme. My apologies.

Reactions: Ashful and jeff_t
enough squabbling. back to ashford stuff.

last night at 10:30 i put 8 bio bricks in along with several hunks of nice oak over a nice bed of hot coals. got it hot, re-engaged cat, then began dialing it back to a little below 2, maybe 1.8, 1.9 for the night. cat temp was at 12:00, cast top was at 400, stack temp was 350. it was putting out a nice amount of heat. went to bed. woke up at 330. heat had kicked on. went to stove. cat temps still in active zone, maybe 10:00 position, cast top was 250 and stack was 275. fire box was still 1/2 full with a hot glowing mass of bio bricks and coals, but i noticed 90% of what was left in there was in the back half of the stove.

ok, so what shoudl i have done at this point? i needed heat.

i put 3 oak pieces in the front, closed it, and turned it up a hair. at 7 it looked like it did at 3, front of fire box empty, back full of hot fuel. some biobricks still visisble this am.

i need that heat to stick around longer.

Pull that stuff up to the front and open the thermostat. Add a small split for some extra heat without adding to the coal bed.

The thermostat doesn't function as many people think. It doesn't maintain constant temp as the fuel burns down. There isn't that much movement in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.