• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blaz'n

I have been looking at getting a Blaze King King 40 and the manual has an image showing no less than 2' from the top of the stove to the bottom of a horizontal pipe. They recommend 3' for that distance. I currently have an 8" horizontal run through my wall at 53" from the bottom of that pipe. What would it hurt if I used this previously installed height?
The King 40 is 35-7/8" (35.875") tall with the ultra pedestal and 30-1/8" (30.125") tall with the standard base (No ash pan). With those measurements it the horizontal pipe is 1-1/8" (1.125") to 6-7/8" (6.875") too short of a run before the horizontal. I would MUCH rather have the pedestal with the ash pan so I am realistically looking at being around 7" too low.

Another question I have is what is the pest type of stove pipe to use with the Blaze King? I was just looking at double wall black pipe from HVAC Direct.
Another not so ideal option was that I may be forced to put two 45 degree elbows back to back instead of a 45 from the stove to another 45 at the wall. How much does that adversely effect things?

How tall is the chimney? What is the 40 replacing and how did it draft?

How tall is the chimney? What is the 40 replacing and how did it draft?

A lot of factors are unknown to me. I bought a house last year, and it came with a ComfortBilt HP61 pellet stove. I am really new to wood burning and pellet stoves. Lived in the city my entire life until around January this year. The flue had been professionally cleaned before I bought the place so I just got pellets and ran it through the winter.

Draft? I am unsure.

It is very apparent that there was a wood burning stove where the pellet stove sits right now. The pellet stove has 3-4" piping with an adapter to a larger pipe that passes horizontally through the wall and into the garage. there is a cleanout T where it turns up and out the roof.

Chimney height? maybe 20 feet.

I would need to measure it. Where would that measurement start from? The piping starts on the back of the stove about 12" from the ground with a cleanout T and moves up about 43" before a 90 degree elbow feeds into the adapter. Then it goes to the other cleanout T in the garage and out the roof. maybe 12ish feet from the roof to where the vent cap is. Again not measured yet. I can get that within a couple of days if needed

An 8" horizontal run isn't that bad. But I don't understand how this is possible given the clearance needed at the back?

The King needs an 8" chimney. Does an8" insulated liner fit in the chimney?

I can post pictures tomorrow. Not sure what you mean about it not being possible. The horizontal run is above the stove. The piping goes up vertically from around 12 inches off the ground using a 3-4” pipe up to about 55” where there is a 90 degree elbow into the adapter mounted to the wall and goes through. It then enters the garage and turns up to the ceiling and out the roof. Someone else asked my current setup also. That is what was described. The new piping needed would start around 30-36” depending on the base I went with for the blaze king.

The pipe outside the house is at least 10” so I assume it could fit 8”double wall, but I don’t know. I am new to wood burning stoves and this type of chimney system. I don’t know what is considered “chimney”. Does it start at the stove or once it’s out of the house?

How long is the horizontal run?

Stove pipe is used until going thru a wall or ceiling, then chimney pipe. (Class A, or a liner in masonry)

In New Mexico you _might_ get away with the install you got. So far I am in complete agreement with @stoveliker , we need some kind of drawing, even chalk on the driveway, for your total current chimney.

Most likely you are going to be fine. Some of the coldest nights I ever spent in the lower 48 states were in the desert southwest. But we would like to be sure before we give you two thumbs up and move on.

Post pics of the existing setup. May clear things up a bit.

Here’s some pictures and more info. The vertical section of chimney is 20’ with 81” in the garage and the rest outside(158”ish outside). Total vertical section was measured inside the chimney with four 4’ sections of cleaning rod. Chimney is 12” OD with what looks like single wall 8” inside all the way up. The flue pipe is 3” double wall? 4” OD. The horizontal run is 3’ measured from inside the pipe.

Note the pictures were all selected in order but didn’t upload in order… not sure how to switch their order…

I know it’s dirty it will be cleaned.

Still not sure about the draft question.

3E4047BD-95BA-4901-9B14-AA0992CB9DE4.jpeg F634280B-3C6F-4E3B-B449-CBF5986FB31B.jpeg 954F00D5-A278-4759-81B1-D3916A242C18.jpeg 552A83F0-9112-452D-AF8B-416DB73786A2.jpeg A369892B-8661-434E-B46B-53FBD6D26FB8.jpeg A4FFA8D9-C6D7-4746-84D8-BB34CF9231F7.jpeg EF5E82A0-829D-43B6-90A8-556F22DD5D1F.jpeg 5CFB9975-4EF3-40A3-8749-17D95B7641CB.jpeg 99E14A7A-FA4B-4CB8-8B63-1B7FB43B2E81.jpeg 6F085778-9AF8-4681-90FB-7BF9D9D8B342.jpeg C2230FA4-11D6-4D31-AF78-52A11A6C4666.jpeg 57F29AD4-6588-450F-A16E-F47275D5D39D.jpeg 2FAEA72F-35DF-432B-B2FD-2B6E9141C8E4.jpeg 64898AD2-9C42-47D5-A303-32E53D1AD308.jpeg

In New Mexico you _might_ get away with the install you got. So far I am in complete agreement with @stoveliker , we need some kind of drawing, even chalk on the driveway, for your total current chimney.

Most likely you are going to be fine. Some of the coldest nights I ever spent in the lower 48 states were in the desert southwest. But we would like to be sure before we give you two thumbs up and move on.
Yep, hot in the day and cold at night for some places in the desert. Grew up around 5,000 ft. Where I live now is even colder above 8,000ft in the Jemez Mountains. Pulled off 20ish inches of snow from the roof during a storm last January.

Seems the total chimney piping is 23’ with 3’ of that in a horizontal run and 20’ vertical.

The height is ok, I think (tho 8000 ft does decrease draft).

Is that galvanized pipe?

I'd like to see pictures of the exterior chimney. The current galvanized piping on the interior is for the pellet stove and is irrelevant. Pellet stoves have a pressurized exhaust. The BK40 on the other hand will rely on the draft created by the chimney system.

The galvanized going through the garage looks kind of funky and I would estimate the horizontal run to be more like 18"? That can really slow down flue gases. Additionally, this sounds like old air-cooled chimney pipe which probably is not rated HT2100. If so, the chimney system needs to be completely replaced.

Last edited:
This appears to be problematic. You'll need an insulated 8" liner which is probably 10" o.d. I also think the point of entry is too low and won't provide enough vertical rise.

If you move forward, use 2 45's back to back, not a 90.

BKVP

Reactions: stoveliker
I'd like to see pictures of the exterior chimney. The current galvanized piping on the interior is for the pellet stove and is irrelevant. Pellet stoves have a pressurized exhaust. The BK40 on the other hand will rely on the draft created by the chimney system.

The galvanized going through the garage looks kind of funky and I would estimate the horizontal run to be more like 18"? That can really slow down flue gases. Additionally, this sounds like old air-cooled chimney pipe which probably is not rated HT2100. If so, the chimney system needs to be completely replaced.
I can take more pictures tomorrow. The galvanized in the garage is the same that goes through the roof. It has the 8” black pipe all the way to the top of it. It is 36” horizontal from the start of the 4”to 8” adapter. I took a picture of the measurement. Pushed a tape measure through it to see how far. 9” inside the house 18-20 ish” in the garage. The hole is through an interior wall and then concrete. Totaling about 7-10”. You’re probably right about it being not rated to HT2100. I doubt it has been updated since the garage was added-on in the early 90s. Since the hole for the horizontal run is through structural concrete, I would not be able to move it up. Any other suggestions on how to make things work?

Noteworthy items so far:
- New chimney system HT2100 from horizontal to the vent cap outside. Understood
-back to back 45s to eliminate the sharper 90. Got it
-Double wall flue pipe from stove to 45s. Do those need to be HT2100 or is that only chimney?
-17” rise before horizontal is too short, so probably need the shorter base and not get the preferred pedestal with ash pan. Understood (but still only 22-7/8” rise not minimum 24)
-probably missed something else that’s important

This appears to be problematic. You'll need an insulated 8" liner which is probably 10" o.d. I also think the point of entry is too low and won't provide enough vertical rise.

If you move forward, use 2 45's back to back, not a 90.

BKVP
What are my options if I cannot move the horizontal run any higher? It goes through structural concrete and I wouldn’t be able to cut more away.
What is the downside of having 17” vertical rise? 22”vertical rise?
By insulated 8inch liner are you talking about the flue pipe or the chimney pipe?

I would go pedestal base. It has a super deep belly and could likely hold 6+ weeks worth of ash.

The new double wall stove pipe (the 45s) is ht2100 rated but double check.

What you need to look at is what pieces you need to go through the concrete and clearances there. And how and when and where you will transition to class A.

Now if you are replacing the entire venting system what is directly above the stove? Could You you install a new straight up and out system?

Have you purchased the stove already?

What are my options if I cannot move the horizontal run any higher? It goes through structural concrete and I wouldn’t be able to cut more away.
What is the downside of having 17” vertical rise? 22”vertical rise?
By insulated 8inch liner are you talking about the flue pipe or the chimney pipe?
Go with a Princess classic base. It will work better with your short vertical rise. Dropping either a flexible or perhaps rigid insulated liner will be less costly and usually easier to install. You need to examine the entire chimney top to bottom and get necessary i.d. dimensions. Run black double wall stove pipe vertically, use (2) double wall 45's back to back and a short horizontal piece. This then needs to be tied into an insulated liner, which fits (hopefully) inside your masonry chimney. There are tons of threads on this process on this site.

Reactions: EbS-P