Blaze king Princess issues....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I was using the whistle to tell me I'm getting close to the stall point, but what you're telling me is that I should set it just above or below there and hope the spring doesn't bring it back to that bad spot?

It's not a bad spot, it's a spot where the flapper is barely cracked open and air is whistling through a narrow gap. You'll never hear it on a high burn as the flapper won't close that far, but expect it to come and go on a low burn. Mine is probably milder than most because I have a short flue, so ymmv.

It definitely does not mean the stove is about to stall. Mine runs beneath that point for most of the day in warm weather.

Last edited:
If mine whistled even in the slightest it would drive me bat #### crazy. I've seen where this has been addressed as "normal" in the past and understand it comes from strong draft most times. Knowing me and how I am I'd be playing with the setting of the t-stat first and if that didn't work... where's my tool box lol.

My PI used to whistle, I assumed it was because of a strong draft, never bothered me.

If mine whistled even in the slightest it would drive me bat #### crazy. I've seen where this has been addressed as "normal" in the past and understand it comes from strong draft most times. Knowing me and how I am I'd be playing with the setting of the t-stat first and if that didn't work... where's my tool box lol.

If mine bugged me I'd be right in there with you. Probably start by rounding off the edge of the intake where the flapper hits it as much as I could without compromising the flapper's ability to seal shut.

First time poster, long time lurker. After hours and hours of research and countless forms read, I decide to purchase a blaze king princess insert. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake. Here is my setup:
I'm in S.E Pa. 25 ft 6" ss liner, "almost" straight shot up. (One adjustable 45 elbow off the stove to hook up into the liner as the outlet on the stove is at an angle) The elbow is adjusted to be almost straight, not even close to 45 degrees. Masonary chimney on exterior of house, clay liner is 12x12 and the space between clay liner and SS liner is filled with insulation. Perlite or vermiculite, I can't remember. Wood is 2-3 year old (split and stacked) oak (3 years) and ash (2)with consistent MC of 13-18%. My brother is an arborist so I'm lucky enough to be able to get premium wood for free. It to toot my own horn, but my dealer was very jealous of my woodpiles, my wife is still not that impressed. I digress.

Stove was Installed 3 weeks ago. Average night time temps: 30-40 daytime is 50-60. Issues are:
Smoke from chimney
Lousy burn times/inactive cat
Whistling/sucking noise coming from right (temperature control) side of stove.

-Dealer has been out and said the smoke issue is due to loose door, so we adjusted the door for a tighter seal, however I'm not sure why that wasn't addressed when stove was installed. He checked out the stove and cat and said everything should be fine now. Anyway, that issue seems to have been corrected.
-I'm loading the stove up fully at 20:00, allowing fire to get established with bypass open, close bypass only after cat is active and fire is ripping. Burn on high for 20-30 min, then over the course of the next 1/2hr throttle the stove to its lowest temp setting. At 05:00 when I wake up, the stove is consistenty in the "not active" zone, however there is still plenty of fuel in the stove and stove is fairly hot. What's the deal with that? Still having the issue after the dealer serviced the stove.
-The whistling noise coming from the stove is going to make me shoot myself it's so anoying. The dealer said it's just the sound of the stove drafting, but it sounds like old farmhouse windows leaking air during a windstorm. That's the best way to describe it. Not supper loud, but can certainly be heard across the room. Adjusting the thermostat ever so slightly will alleviate the noise for a few moments, but it soon returns. I havent read anyone complaining about this issue, which makes me assume it's not common.
I've been heating with wood for 10 years now, and understand there is a bit of a learning curve with these stoves, but I'm getting a little nervous I just blew close to $4k. I've called blaze king 2 times to address the issues, first time they told me to contact the dealer, which I did. The second time they played the "ill transfer you game" until finally getting the VM box of "Chris". I left a message, but have yet to hear back. In all fairness the message was left today, but I'm hoping someone here can help!
Thanks boys.

Hi, , I am wondering if you ever got a solution for the noise that is coming from the stat.. I just installed a princess and I have that issue as well..

JF

D2F6598A-EA9B-4714-9AA3-719E2F9EC234.jpeg
T/stat from princess insert