Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Comfy at 11F, add on the wind chill, maybe 5 right now ( just back in from taking the Murph for a walk, which was very short, BTW ;) ).

76F in the den, working on the coal bed for the over night.

Running water, and using hot water, to keep water moving through the pipes.

Purposely, for the first time in what seems like eons, the 13 went silent at about 10 AM this morning, and the PE probably around 2 PM or so. I did not stuff either one. I let the OB kick in :cool:

18° outside 80° inside lol a few liberty bricks with a few pieces of red oak in the stove

Reactions: VirginiaIron
even here in SC, down to 24 tonight. high of only 42 tomorrow
Brutal, hope you make it OK. Better get to the store and stock up on milk and toilet paper. :rolleyes: ;lol

Oddly enough, despite the worst winter temps here being what people up north would consider shoulder season, catalytic stoves just don't seem to be popular around here. You would think this would be the ideal place for catalytic stoves.
I don't know, it seems like if your house is decently sealed, in mild weather you can just burn once a day or every couple days, and the house temp doesn't swing too quickly. I have a soapstone so it stores some heat, that probably helps. Same thing with a cast-iron jacketed stove. I don't see the need to keep a fire going all the time in that kind of weather, even here where insulation and air-sealing ain't that great.
But right now, I'm burning like mad! :ZZZ _g

15* in Boston. It is the wind gusting at 20mph making it really nasty out.

GSD = Godforsaken Smelly Dog?
Not quite. This handsome guy is my life and my partner.

Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Comfy at 11F, add on the wind chill, maybe 5 right now ( just back in from taking the Murph for a walk, which was very short, BTW ;) ).

76F in the den, working on the coal bed for the over night.

Running water, and using hot water, to keep water moving through the pipes.

Purposely, for the first time in what seems like eons, the 13 went silent at about 10 AM this morning, and the PE probably around 2 PM or so. I did not stuff either one. I let the OB kick in :cool:

21 here in the shoreham area, where on LI is it 11 right now?
Its so nice just kicking the boiler on, enjoy a warm sleep, coffee much better in the am!

don't know, it seems like if your house is decently sealed, in mild weather you can just burn once a day or every couple days, and the house temp doesn't swing too quickly. I have a soapstone so it stores some heat, that probably helps. Same thing with a cast-iron jacketed stove. I don't see the need to keep a fire going all the time in that kind of weather, even here where insulation and air-sealing ain't that great.

That's actually what I have been doing this year - burning once per day. I build a fire at night about 6pm. It heats up the structure well. My stove is back in the fireplace so it sort of acts like a large heat sink and slowly gives warmth back overnight and into the next day. So far so good. Tonight though I added wood about 8pm and 10pm. Probably won't burn again till tomorrow night even in this weather since my wife doesn't like the (homeschooling) room to get too overheated. It's in a room off on one side of the house, but still an interior chimney. The brick will still be 85-95 degrees in the morning.

Reactions: Woody Stover
21 here in the shoreham area, where on LI is it 11 right now?
Its so nice just kicking the boiler on, enjoy a warm sleep, coffee much better in the am!

About 5 minutes from you, in the area known as Icy Hollow by us old timers :)

-16F without the windchill this morning, at least they're calling for it to "warm up" by sunday, then drop again monday. that'll be sure to drive the frost in deep and make my life interesting...

-7 F up here in Maine with wind chill going below -30 . My Sierra is keeping the house about 72 except the far bedroom . Still cycling the furnace for the pipes .

Going to be a high of 8 today , then snow tomorrow , then 40s on Sunday . But Monday is another deep freeze . Crazy weather .

It was a balmy 31F yesterday as we were packing gifts to ship back east. The stove had the dining and living room at 75F and I was down to a tshirt. Working alongside of me my wife is layered up with a long sleeved shirt and putting on a down vest, saying she's chilly! The irony is that in the summer at 75F she starts melting from the heat.

Our wives have the same internal thermostat.

Make that 3. I'm glad Im not the only one.

Central heat is on set to 68. "Im cold!!"
Then she turns it up 1 degree to 69... all the radiators come up and the house overshoots to 70 "I'm too hot"

Next day stove is lit. Living room is 75, bedroom is 72.

She walks into bedroom at 72 "Im cold. I hate that woodstove. They are all crap, lets rip it out"

(In the summer she will turn the A/C down to like 67, btw.)

We have this discussion LITERALLY every day the stove is lit. I lit it up this morning and the argument happened within the first 5 minutes of her getting up.

Its a no win gentlemen. I think I need to buy some flowers.

-7 F up here in Maine with wind chill going below -30 . My Sierra is keeping the house about 72 except the far bedroom . Still cycling the furnace for the pipes .

Going to be a high of 8 today , then snow tomorrow , then 40s on Sunday . But Monday is another deep freeze . Crazy weather .

Same conditions here . . . my garage was a balmy 14 degrees F . . . but as soon as I pulled the car out and started driving in the temp just went down, down, down . . .

My chickens are thirsty. Water keeps freezing!

Reactions: Smock2015
My chickens are thirsty. Water keeps freezing!

My heated waterer froze . First time that has happened . So yup , my poor chickens are a tad thirsty to lol . Just bringing water out evry 3-4 hors till it warms up enough to thaw the waterer

5F outside... I had to turn up the stat and let the boiler fire because the living room temp is actually dropping even with the stove crankin.

-3F last night with 30-40mph gusting. One of the worst drive homes I think I have ever had. Just total whiteout conditions. Went between the truck in front of me and oncoming traffic to avoid a collision. Lots of people off the road.

The older I get the more a move down South looks better and better. If my parents would move, I'd be there tomorrow.

Brand new boiler failed to fire yesterday. Guy who did the install is coming over today.

Home is 70F with the Englander plugging away and wife tending to it.

Was in Florida this past weekend visiting my daughter. A nice 75. Now it looks like we're reporting Long Island temps in Celsius!

The heat comes on twice a day, and maybe during the overnight in weather like this. The house layout doesn't lend itself to even heat distribution.

Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped .... So this is where we stand atm . I keep this at far end of the house , so 75 F down there away from wood stove isn't to bad .

Lol , a "high" of -2 . Have not seen that in awhile .

11*F this morning. Woke up to a house at 62. Loaded it back up and we are slowly climbing back up. My dog did not like the chill this morning. She literally ran out, took a duke, ran right back in.

My heated waterer froze . First time that has happened . So yup , my poor chickens are a tad thirsty to lol . Just bringing water out evry 3-4 hors till it warms up enough to thaw the waterer
I'm not home during the day, so I put out water around 6:30am, and they're already up to roost when I get home close to 6pm. Not sure how long that water I put out in the early AM stays liquid, but this morning I put a second waterer in the coop itself. If the sun comes out today, the coop will stay warmer, since it's painted a dark color.

The heat comes on twice a day, and maybe during the overnight in weather like this. The house layout doesn't lend itself to even heat distribution.
My heat only comes on twice a day, too. Trouble is, it stays on for several hours, when it does! ;lol

Make that 3. I'm glad Im not the only one.

She walks into bedroom at 72 "Im cold. I hate that woodstove. They are all crap, lets rip it out"

We have this discussion LITERALLY every day the stove is lit. I lit it up this morning and the argument happened within the first 5 minutes of her getting up.

You have my sympathy. My wife never complains about having the woodstove, just the mess that the wood makes around it, so I try to keep up with that.

Cheap solution for keeping the chicken water from freezing.

-3F last night with 30-40mph gusting. One of the worst drive homes I think I have ever had. Just total whiteout conditions. Went between the truck in front of me and oncoming traffic to avoid a collision. Lots of people off the road.

The older I get the more a move down South looks better and better. If my parents would move, I'd be there tomorrow.

Brand new boiler failed to fire yesterday. Guy who did the install is coming over today.

Home is 70F with the Englander plugging away and wife tending to it.

You guys really get a lot of lake effect snow.

Reactions: sportbikerider78