Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Long Island checking in.... 2 day nasty shot for us, then up to 50F Sunday.

Thursday night a good chance of 11F (which will be 0F here in the Hollow :eek: ), Plus the wind chill will bring it down to about -10F ::-)

Yeah coming our way too. Gonna get mighty cold and windy in the Tropics of Virginia.

I was just looking at the weather maps to the north. The Arctic Express is rolling south and it is cold. If you don't have your pipes protected better get on it right now.

This is a good time to remind folks that if you are heating with wood that the basement temps need to be watched. Run the boiler or furnace occasionally to warm up the basement if necessary to avoid freezing pipes.

Pretty much the same story in Indiana. Bracing for single digits tonight, mid teens tomorrow. Between the Blaze King and the Quad we will be fine. I've never had a frozen pipe, at least the whole place is plumbed with pex.

Coming your way. -7 here tonight.

So glad I got the OB fixed !!

Loaded the PE E/W tonight..... T stats set at 65F.

Only -4 tonight. Sunday is -16. That's gonna suck. Looks like 4 wheelbarrows of wood tomorrow morning to get the fireplace ready for my 2 days off starting Sunday. The ski hill was rough today.

Digital thermometer is showing 12.4 degrees out right now. Secondaries in the PE are absolutely insane right now. House is 70.

I am here on Long Island as well.

My insert and chimney just cleaned, wood is ready CSS, and 2 pallets of Envi's being delivered early in the am.

Gonna fire her up and stack the Envi's in the garage then hunker down for the blast. I am also going to bust up the pallets for a winter supply of kindling.

Reactions: Dix
4 tonight...14 tomorrow. Big stack of wood in the house ready to go. Probably more like 0 and 10 in my part. Got 4" of snow yesterday and that put the chill on. Might have made it to 20 today...and I made the brilliant move of sleeping in and waking up to a cold stove ;em We've got the 50 degree Saturday coming and back to 14/1 on Sunday. Good old Indiana.

Anyway I've got a fire to stoke!

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650
Sounds like we are in the deep freeze for the next few days, then lots of snow this weekend.

-6 right now, but 76 in the house in the hearth room. The GSD is in the house for the night due to cold and winds.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Low of -10 followed by a low of -7 going into this weekend. Highs will be in the low single digits. I expect the electric furnace to be running a bit this weekend, but don't think the propane furnaces will be needed.

That is a win in my book!

Overnight checkup...down to 5F outdoors and house down to 66...time to rake coals and load up more splits! Have reached the point where I can tell what my stove is doing by the sounds it makes and can't wait until I can afford to replace this thing with a proper modern EPA stove.

17 this morning with a low of 11 tonight.... It sounds like I live in one of the warmer places on this post. Thankfully the house is in the mid-70's and the wife is happy!

unnamed.jpg

Fun stuff. Below 10 the stove starts to struggle to keep the far rooms warm so i have to run the central to help anyway.

Actually, i have to blip the central from time to time regardless to even things out. Anytime there is more than a 2-3 degree differential from the stove room to the bedroom the boss declares she is COLD and I better do something about it, even if that differential is 75 to 72 ;lol

It was a balmy 31F yesterday as we were packing gifts to ship back east. The stove had the dining and living room at 75F and I was down to a tshirt. Working alongside of me my wife is layered up with a long sleeved shirt and putting on a down vest, saying she's chilly! The irony is that in the summer at 75F she starts melting from the heat.

Last edited:
-46° Saturday night in my neck of the woods.

Been down to -23c at night for the last few..... NC30 still keeping 3000sqft between 20-25c. Best buy I have made in a long time!

The drafty shop with the little century on the other hand....not so much!

Perhaps another NC30 purchase in the future!