Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was a balmy 31F yesterday as we were packing gifts to ship back east. The stove had the dining and living room at 75F and I was down to a tshirt. Working alongside of me my wife is layered up with a long sleeved shirt and putting on a down vest, saying she's chilly! The irony is that in the summer at 75F she starts melting from the heat.
Our wives have the same internal thermostat.

Reactions: davidmc
Our wives have the same internal thermostat.
LOL. She took a hot shower and had some soup afterward. That worked.

Im burning full bore, I have the stove set to (2) 10hr loads and (1) 4 hr load to help manage coal build up, I also have the heat zone for the (3) back bed rooms set at 62 since that's the furthest from the stove. I will also cycle all my baseboard heat tonight and then again tomorrow morning for 5min or until the returns get warm just as insurance to prevent any possible frozen spots.

I think you're colder. That's -46°windchill in Fahrenheit.
Fortunately our wind has calmed down. It must be quite windy to bring it down that cold......Sure makes for squeaky snow!

LOL. She took a hot shower and had some soup afterward. That worked.
If I could get an audio clip of her yelling "you idiot!", we might find other similarities.

Ouch, no, I've been called lots of things, but not that... yet.

Reactions: Fod01
Gonna be -24F sat night before windchill. Should climb into the single digits by this afternoon.

My wood rack in the garage is empty, gonna be a cold one filling it back up Burrrrrrr!

last week we went from 45º to -7º in the course of a few hours.... it seems like no matter how much wood I put in the stove, it stays around the same temp downstairs no matter how cold it is.... 63º in the morning when the stove is cold :)

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Cold stove? WTH is going on out there?!! Sounds like you need a good talking-to. ;)

Its because i don't have piles and piles of oak... its all this elm, russian olive and pine that I am forced to burn.... it just goes so quick! When the stove is coal-less, the room will get down to 54 or so, so i'm glad that doesn't happen :)

Checking in from the Virginia Piedmont area. Its getting cold here too. 22*F with wind 15-25 and gusts to 45 mph. Thousands in the area out of power this morning due to the wind. We are so glad the stove does not require power.

Its because i don't have piles and piles of oak... its all this elm, russian olive and pine that I am forced to burn.... it just goes so quick! When the stove is coal-less, the room will get down to 54 or so, so i'm glad that doesn't happen :)
Oh, yeah, that's right. Lodgepole Pine looks to have decent btu, about like Elm. Is that American Elm you have, or what? What is the best btu wood you have a chance of getting there? Here, Red Oak is the most available but I try to get better stuff. The problem with these woods is that when it gets cold and windy you want to keep firing the cat, but you've got a lot of coals to get rid of before you can load, especially in a small firebox like I have. :oops:

Oh, yeah, that's right. Lodgepole Pine looks to have decent btu, about like Elm. Is that American Elm you have, or what? What is the best btu wood you have a chance of getting there? Here, Red Oak is the most available but I try to get better stuff. The problem with these woods is that when it gets cold and windy you want to keep firing the cat, but you've got a lot of coals to get rid of before you can load, especially in a small firebox like I have. :oops:

mostly siberian elm unfortunately! We took down a lot of elm 2 years ago, and then more this past summer, so that is what I'm going through (the dry stuff). This year I have some maple and willow I may get to, as well as some aspen and some other mixed stuff. i have a stack of locust that will be ready for next year, and some spruce and boxelder too. i also am mostly regulating heat, so I could probably crank it up a little bit and be OK, but I think a 9-10 hour burn is pretty good and the stove doesn't heat our bedrooms anyway, so i don't bother cranking the heat before we go to bed. I normally get a load at around 10:30, then by 7:30 stove temps are around 250º with enough coals to get something going pretty quick. sometimes when i forget to turn the air all the way down, i end up with a really cold stove and 1 measly coal hidden under the ashes

Reactions: Woody Stover
whatever this kind is....
Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

or was :)

As my other Northern Illinoisian (campfire) stated earlier. Looks like a low of -18F on Sunday, but at least the winds will only be about 10 mph with 16 mph gusts.:mad:

As my other Northern Illinoisian (campfire) stated earlier. Looks like a low of -18F on Sunday, but at least the winds will only be about 10 mph with 16 mph gusts.:mad:
That's a bit nipply. Would you rather have this? 57* Saturday, then it starts raining, then by Saturday night it's down to 17*...and gusts to 24. I hope it passes through the freezing-rain temps quickly and changes over to all snow; I hate having to put on my ice skates to get firewood. Icing on the cake....8* Sunday night. <>

That's a bit nipply. Would you rather have this? 57* Saturday, then it starts raining, then by Saturday night it's down to 17*...and gusts to 24. I hope it passes through the freezing-rain temps quickly and changes over to all snow; I hate having to put on my ice skates to get firewood. Icing on the cake....8* Sunday night. <>

That'd get a bit nipply for any one :p

even here in SC, down to 24 tonight. high of only 42 tomorrow, but back to high of 66 saturday and a freezing cold 57 that night! Ouch, better break out the shorts (outside that is :rolleyes:). Sometimes I wish it was colder here so I could burn more. Something about watching sunshine coming back out of wood that just makes you smile. :)

Oddly enough, despite the worst winter temps here being what people up north would consider shoulder season, catalytic stoves just don't seem to be popular around here. You would think this would be the ideal place for catalytic stoves.

Just basking here right now. 17 with chill factor of 6 and headed down to 9 with wc of -6. The ice won't come around until til Saturday with a warm up Sunday and falling back off the cliff Monday.

Reactions: Dix
Still glad I bought that Madison last year. Cruising all day long on maybe 26lb of wood (20 of that liberty bricks) with only infrequent heat pump usage by the time I got home... 18F plus wind out.

20 right now in my area of eastern PA and supposed to get to about 15 overnight. With wind chills it will feel like single digits. I've been able to keep the downstairs of my 2000sq ft house at 72 and the upstairs about 70. But I noticed the insert is burning through wood quickly and getting into coaling stage much faster. I just raked the coals forward and put a split on to help burn them down. I guess that's just part of the deal when it gets this cold outside!