Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
She walks into bedroom at 72 "Im cold. I hate that woodstove. They are all crap, lets rip it out"
Too late, Honey, it's grown roots. >>

Reactions: davidmc
Make that 3. I'm glad Im not the only one.

Central heat is on set to 68. "Im cold!!"
Then she turns it up 1 degree to 69... all the radiators come up and the house overshoots to 70 "I'm too hot"

Next day stove is lit. Living room is 75, bedroom is 72.

She walks into bedroom at 72 "Im cold. I hate that woodstove. They are all crap, lets rip it out"

(In the summer she will turn the A/C down to like 67, btw.)

We have this discussion LITERALLY every day the stove is lit. I lit it up this morning and the argument happened within the first 5 minutes of her getting up.

Its a no win gentlemen. I think I need to buy some flowers.

My wife was that way when we owned the Jotuls. First, it was the time I was spending processing wood, trying to get three years ahead, all while using insane amounts of the stuff to little effect. Then, it was trying to get stoves cruising each morning before work, with sub-optimal (poorly seasoned) wood. Finally, we got those issues resolved, but then those old stoves became unreliable repair queens, and never really heated our house well.

With the BKs, her attitude is the exact opposite. They're so easy and consistent, and make heating so trouble free, compared to the Jotuls. She's now asking me when I'm going to light the stoves, whenever it gets cool outside! She also now spends most of her time in the two rooms with the stoves, which wasn't the case before. All complaints over stoves have stopped, in this house.

I'm an idiot for other reasons, but getting these stoves isn't among them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix
I am here on Long Island as well.

My insert and chimney just cleaned, wood is ready CSS, and 2 pallets of Envi's being delivered early in the am.

Gonna fire her up and stack the Envi's in the garage then hunker down for the blast. I am also going to bust up the pallets for a winter supply of kindling.

I'm from the island too how are those envi logs do you get a much better burn time for an over night use?
Where did you buy them from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: seabert
....Central heat is on set to 68. "Im cold!!"
Then she turns it up 1 degree to 69... all the radiators come up and the house overshoots to 70 "I'm too hot"

....Its a no win gentlemen. I think I need to buy some flowers.

Women will go from "I'm cold" to "I'm hot" even when you don't fiddle with the t-stat. And you're right about the "no-win." Last year, when my son evidently had told his teenage daughter something she didn't like, and she sulked, I told him something that applies to women of any age:

"A dad can't ever say the right thing to a teenage daughter. If you say something, it's wrong. If you said the opposite, it still would have been wrong. And if you said nothing at all, you'd still be wrong, because you should have said something, which you can't do because it would be wrong" (at that, my granddaughter smiled and gave me a high-five).

And you may as well forget the flowers. You can imagine her saying that you know she likes some other kind. Arrrrrrgh!

Reactions: Ashful
I'm from the island too how are those envi logs do you get a much better burn time for an over night use?

Start here http://www.liwoodpellets.com/products.htm , then research. I'm sure prices will vary from different suppliers. Search Envi bricks, bio bricks Suffolk County NY.

They're OK, but a far cry from seasoned firewood.

Reactions: Ashful
Women will go from "I'm cold" to "I'm hot" even when you don't fiddle with the t-stat. And you're right about the "no-win." Last year, when my son evidently had told his teenage daughter something she didn't like, and she sulked, I told him something that applies to women of any age:

"A dad can't ever say the right thing to a teenage daughter. If you say something, it's wrong. If you said the opposite, it still would have been wrong. And if you said nothing at all, you'd still be wrong, because you should have said something, which you can't do because it would be wrong" (at that, my granddaughter smiled and gave me a high-five).

And you may as well forget the flowers. You can imagine her saying that you know she likes some other kind. Arrrrrrgh!

Just jumping into the thread. Was -23::C here last night with wind chills down to -35::C at times. Austral II stove pumping out in the basement and a mini split upstairs to keep it nice. Kept it around 22::C upstairs all the time! It's now -21::C or so tonight already and we are just nice!

Cheers on a hearty cold winter setting in early :rolleyes:

Not usually this cold in December but what can you do but put more wood in :)

Cold spell here is over now. Was hovering around 5F last night. Tomorrows high near 60:eek:

Here's our forecast.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My chickens are thirsty. Water keeps freezing!

When I lived in the Netherlands, everyone had a masonry heater of some kind. The cheapo consumer version is like a laydown electric space heater where the heating elements are wrapped in bricks. Point being that using bricks, concrete, and stone as a heat battery is an everyday thing in many places.

With this in mind, cook a brick on your stove and toss it in your chicken water! :). (You could also make a little rocket stove out of bricks or cinder blocks, and either heat the water directly or heat the next brick outdoors. Not sure I'd want to burn a cinder block rocket stove next to a bunch of feces-rich straw... Though I DO love a BBQ...)

I get them by the ton from "the.logsplitter.com" he only sells by the full pallet. Yo can buy them by the pack at a place in Oakdale called Remember Yesteryears Antique Mall. It is more expensive to buy by the pack but it is a good way to see if you like them. The burn time has a lot of variables. I load around 11pm and my VC Montpelier is still heating at 7:30 when I get up. The coals are hot enough to get her going easily. If you place them close together they will burn a bit longer but you still want to keep some space as the blocks swell when burning. I usually put in two Envi's and one or two splits for the overnight.

Last edited:
Thank you each and everyone for taking a wee chunk of Alaskan winter air off my hands.

It is warm enough here (+15dF) that I can fire up the smoker this weekend. I am going to do a couple pork shoulders and hopefully a brisket tomorrow while we are having a break in the weather up here.

As was mentioned on page one, keep an eye out for freezing pipes.

Relatively. I cant be the only local thinking the same, sams club is sold out of pork shoulders and i only had six briskets to choose from. I did grab a couple enormous chuck roasts to go with the most tender brisket in the case.

I hope i didnt (and dont) come off as superior or crass or arrogant. Severe weather is problem anywhere. My tipping point for cold will be 48-72 hours at -60dF. Even with my furnace and wood stove running full tilt ill probably start losing pipes on day 3.

Heat that would make many of you shrug would be devastating up here. Im running my bbq tomorrow while i can, i know this is a temporary break in the weather for me.

@begreen is doing you guys a big favor reminding you to keep your pipes from freezing. Frozen pipes are very expensive and a major PITA.

Looking for 18 above here sunday, less than a week from solstice, crazy heat wave.

I sit here with my (poorly located) little insert and my low BTU woods reading this thread. My setup would never cut it in the NE or upper Midwest. It's 21° outside right now and that's COLD for here.
Keep 'em hot you guys.

@Poindexter, if we ever saw -60dF here, it would be a disaster of biblical proportions. Real Old Testament stuff. You know... human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.
It would be unpresidented.

It's -9 now I just came in from cutting and splitting all morning. Supposed to be -26 in the morning. Got the shop runnin a nice 70 and the house insert is buckin away eating up the cottonwood! Dogs and cat curled up by the insert. Might even put the horses in tonight and light up the giant old stove in the Quonset to take the edge off!

@Poindexter, if we ever saw -60dF here, it would be a disaster of biblical proportions. Real Old Testament stuff. You know... human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

love me some Dr. Peter Venkman quotes ==c got a heat wave going here now -20F yesterday to 23F today and getting warmer as it goes

wife never complains about having the woodstove, just the mess that the wood makes around it, so I try to keep up with that.
It's tough to keep up with, I know. But now you can hire it done! After considerable thought, I finally came up with a name for my business....The Fuller Brush Man. ;) There is a small additional charge for mileage. ==c
This set was originally my MIL's...not sure how old it might be.
Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped .... Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped .... Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....