Burning withdrawal...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
We are having a home energy audit tomorrow complete with blower door test...so the Fireview and XXV have to be down for 24 hours prior. Of course today is the first day in ages that it's actually cold, and dropping to around 20 tonight...great time to fire the oil burner back up. Pfft.

Audit should be interesting. Main house was built in 1758 with an addition added in 1970's. PO's were not big believers in insulation, which we've remedied with attic insulation and some crawlspace insulation...and blocking gaps as possible. But I'm sure I've got the equivalent of a 3 foot by 3 foot hole in my house still...hope the inspector brings lots of caulk and foam...

Anyway, I miss my fire! I miss waking it up in the morning and tending it in the day. I miss the warmth and the glow. What am I going to do in Spring/Summer?

Mary

Barbeque? Roast marshmellows? Outdoor firepit?

Cut, split, and stack.

Jog, Mow lawn, CSS, Cry, Watch Tv, Cry and then jump for joy when fall arrives ;-)

Pete

I've been thinking the same thing. I've had to have my stove off a couple of times for a few days each and I have felt bereft, wander around aimlessly and coldly. Nagging feeling something fundamental is missing. I thought I was supposed to get sick of it and be glad for spring. Guess I haven't had a long enough season yet.

1. Go camping and have camp fires.

2. Work on firewood for next year . . . and burn the brush if you need to satiate your pyromania. ;)

3. Invite friends over and sit around the burn pit, patio burner, etc.

4. . . . Or maybe you'll "luck" out and have a Summer like we did here a few years back where I actually had a wood fire going on July 2nd or 3rd (I forget the exact date) since it was so cold and wet all summer long.

Status
Not open for further replies.