Can I do this on my own?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoUtes

Jan 3, 2016
Seattle, WA
Howdy folks! I've had an itching to have a secondary heat source in my home for the last while, but couldn't get past the sticker shock from my local stove installer. So, I just picked up what I think is a craigslist gem, but I have no idea where to go from here. It is an Avalon Rainier insert (circa 1989) that looks to be in great shape. I have an existing zero-clearance fireplace where I plan to install it.

The local shop said they won't touch it, because of the age (?), so it sounds like I get to learn how to install a wood insert. The best I can tell I have the right insert, meaning it can be installed in a zero-clearance fireplace. How much more to an install is there than running the chimney liner, removing the old flue/obstructions to install said liner, and then connecting it to the collar on the stove?

I also learned that I need to have the local building inspector take a look at the completed project, as well as check with my insurance company prior to install.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Adrian

check if the insert is allowed to be installed in that fireplace by the insert manufacturer and if the fire place manufacturer allows that insert to be used in their fire place. It is extremely rare that both companies agree.

check if the insert is allowed to be installed in that fireplace by the insert manufacturer and if the fire place manufacturer allows that insert to be used in their fire place. It is extremely rare that both companies agree.

Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like the next step is identifying the manufacturer of my fireplace. Then, in the rare event that they are compatible, did I correctly identify the installation sequence?

This is the first that I'm hearing of the likited compatibility between fireplace and inserts. Can you direct me to a resource that shows which models are compatible?

This is the first that I'm hearing of the likited compatibility between fireplace and inserts. Can you direct me to a resource that shows which models are compatible?
you need to call the manufacturers they are the only ones that can authorize it and you need to get it in writing. To warn you I only know of 3 or 4 fireplaces that allow inserts to be used in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.