Can I fill this crack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bulldogc

Dec 15, 2022
Massachusetts
I'got a heatilator ec42 with some panel damage on the back wall. Someone is coming out next month to replace the panels but I am wondering if I can do a patch with some morter as a temp fix for the holidays. Probably 2? Or so fires unless we loose power or something. Wood fires only.
Couple of photos attached. Crack for scale is nickel width in a couple of places somewhat smaller in most of the rest. Unclear how deep though.

PXL_20221201_145424160.jpg PXL_20221201_145437879.jpg

Check the depth. If it goes through to the rear wall, don’t burn. If it doesn’t go all the way through, go ahead. For a quick fix, RTV Silicone will work, but it won’t look very nice. Another option would be to place a cast iron fireback in there.