shanep00 Posted By shanep00, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:33 AM

1. shanep00

shanep00
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    The house I bought this past summer has a winslow ps40 pellet stove which has been running great. I would like to remove the cleanout Tee but having difficulty. I can turn it clock wise about an inch or so but can't get any other movement. I assume I should be pulling it strait down after turning it. It is a 12-15 year old dura-vent tee. Any thoughts on how to remove this particular clean out? I have only used gloves so far as I didn't want to damage with any tool (yet). I saw a video on how to remove the plug but it looked like a slightly different model from Simplson. 20181205_191858.jpg ? 20181115_105952.jpg

2. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You are correct. 1/4 turn, then pull straight down,
    but you may not have enough room for total disengagement.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    I would rearrange those pipes to have the clean out on the outside of your home!
    That will be a nasty mess if all that black soot drops inside!

Bill

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    tbear853 likes this.
  4. tlc1976

tlc1976
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    I've had mine stuck pretty good before. If you don't have a large channellock, then maybe a jar opener or an oil filter wrench to get a better grip on it to turn it and wiggle it down. After you get it out, I'd put some high temp silicone grease on it so it comes out easily next time.

5. shanep00

shanep00
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    There is not much outside. It goes up the wall of the basement with one 90deg bend and strait out the side of the house. I suppose I can just use the leaf blower method I have been seeing but I figured I might be able to vaccum a lot of the crap from that cleanout as well.

6. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Leaf blower ;) Just make sure you leave the stove door open :)

tbear853 likes this.
  7. tbear853

tbear853
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2013
    Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
    I use a rubber strap wrench from Harbor Freight, but gonna make a mess there. Is that something I see used as a wedge to tighten it up?

But you said you turned it. 15 years, may be a ring of corrosion, I did have to cut one side of and old connection to pull apart.