Cat stoves and pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have no idea where this old wives' tale came from
The reasoning behind this thought is that those same people burn or had "friends" burn wet unseasoned hardwood leaving huge amounts of creosote in there chimneys, then burned a few pine pieces that burned hot and fast causing the chimney fire.

I have an Ideal Steel Hybrid. I have lots of access to good hardwood. However, I love burning pine far more.

You can fill up on dry pine and have the bypass closed in 5 minutes. A few minutes later the air is closed down. It requires very minimal tinkering with the air controls. Drop the cat and start cutting the air. I will also agree that you will have a much cleaner chimney burning pine. Go for it!

Thanks a lot, Bud! I fell asleep in the chair, thinking about it, and when I woke up I found my skin had crawled outside and hid under my car. I had a heck of a time finding it. ;)

keep looking for it, eventually you will find it.;lol

When I see Pine burn, it emits black smoke. Thinking of putting that through my cat is enough to make my skin crawl. :oops:

"Pine" is a pretty broad term. Without getting into specific species, let's just say that, in terms of firewood, pine has a lot more variability than "fir". And "fir" has huge variability!

Reactions: tarzan
"Pine" is a pretty broad term. Without getting into specific species, let's just say that, in terms of firewood, pine has a lot more variability than "fir". And "fir" has huge variability!

Here in New Mexico for what i understand, there is about 20 different species of pine

The fir that most of us burn isn't even fir.

"Pine" is a pretty broad term.
The black-smoke stuff was Red Pine, I guess. I see some White Pine around that people plant. I don't think any Pine would want to grow here if it had a choice.